What alt-mode do you prefer for Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pikatron, Dec 28, 2007.

1. AMG

AMG Old School

When I think of Megatron, I think of destructive power. Having him as either a gun or tank just fits best for the character IMO. Not that I have any problems with him being other things. I fully embrace the many changes in design Megatron has had over the last 25 years.

2. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    Definitely a tank, or any weapon of mass destruction

3. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

A gun.

4. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Tempe, AZ
    Gun, especially when he showed up in GI Joe at the beginning of G2 and we was a GIANT FLOATING GUN!

5. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    The tank has made the most sense for me, the whole mass shifting was a bit over the top. My new fav though is the TFA version, it blends all the best bits, without looking ridiculous.

6. cspackler

cspackler New Member

How about triple changer with Tank and Helicopter modes?

7. gil

gil Godmaster

I was going to suggest a six changer like RID Megatron (or ten like Galvatron).But the main alt modes is a Tank, Jet, and some sort of animal like a T-Rex.

8. DECEPTIKONBRAWL

DECEPTIKONBRAWL Autocepticon

heres a list for no reason at all!!

G1:gun
    G2:tank
    BW:t-rex
    BM:dragon i think?
    RID:didn't he have like ten?
    Armada:tank
    Energon:jet
    Cybertron:car(wtf?a car?)and a jet
    Movie:jet
    Animated:helicopter
    ROTF:tank

you decide!

9. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

Slight correction (re-organized by continuity family):

G1/G2: Handgun; Tank
    BW/BM: T.Rex; Dragon; Spacecraft/Giant Head; Ground Assault Vehicle/Jet ("Optimal" Megatron)
    RID: Bat/Hand/Dragon(x2)/Mammoth/Hydroplane/Griffin/Jet/Roadster
    Armada/Energon/Cybertron: Tank; Jet; Racecar/Jet
    Transtech: Tank
    Movies: Jet; Tank
    Animated: Spacecraft; Helicopter

I find it funny that out of seven incarnations, five have been (at some point in time) a flying craft/animal and four have been a tank of some kind. Two have been both (though oddly not at the same time).

On the other hand, he's been a gun once.

If anything, Megatron's "definitive" form should be a Robot/Jet/Tank triple changer. Those are the two alt. modes he's been depicted with most.

10. Lakanl

Lakanl Footmaster

I'm a fan of Dragon my self. Tanks is a close second.

11. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Whatever he becomes, he needs to a BFG strapped to his arm in bot mode! If Primes defining charactoristic is the windows on chest look, Megs is the arm cannon thing. I like the gun mode for so many reasons, but ultimatly find it lacking. I don't like the jets because of the "no cannon" thing, and tanks are cool, but just don't have the charasmatic feel Megs needs. Someone said a long time ago (smog?) helicopters are the future of tanks, I think Animated pulls that off nicely. And I hate Animated. I'm going with helicopter.

12. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    For Megatron, I love the BW and TFA versions; however, I don't care much for their alt modes though I still have to fully assess the Osprey's capabilities. Ever since I was a kid, I've loved the gun version. It was like having a multipurpose toy in a small package: a toy I could play Transformers with and a toy that I could go out and play manhunt, army, or whatever other goofy games I played back then. Nowadays, the problem with a gun mode Megs is that it can get kids shot.

The other problem with the gun mode is that it has always been associated with a leader who's batshit insane and not showing great amounts of actual intelligence. To illustrate my point, G1 Megs' tech spec read as follows:

Stats:
    Strength: 10 (which has been shown)
    Intelligence: 10! (when was this ever portrayed?)
    Speed: 4 (about right)
    Endurance: 8 (based on the comic's appearance, I'd have rated this at least 10)
    Courage: 9 (though this seemed to fluctuate depending upon the situation)
    Firepower: 10 (Yeah, that's been shown)
    Skill: 9 (Say what?)

Based on the tech spec and the stats, I'm going to go so far as to say that we have never had a good depiction of what G1 Megs should be like. Closest so far that I've seen, off the top of my head, is IDW Megs before he had Ore-13 and excluding "Megatron: Origin". It's pretty sad if I can comfortably say that BW Megs has been shown to be more like G1 Megs than G1 Megs. It also hurts that he has two subordinates (Shockwave and Sixshot) who have gun modes that are better than what G1 Megs is usually associated with. Nevermind that the gun mode's capabilities have been shown inconsistently at best. I think the gun mode has potential, but it really needs to be written better with at least having Shockwave and Sixshot's gun mode capabilities (flying and shooting on their own).

The tank, while more consumer friendly (at least kids don't get shot over it), has never made a whole lot of sense to me at least in G2. In G2, we've seen Megatron fly and have access to his BFG in both modes. I never saw the point of his tank mode except for grandstanding and one of the unbelievably rare moments that a tank makes a good disguise. Not that I think a tank for a TF is bad, but I don't see the point of turning into one if it doesn't have a distinct advantage over the robot mode.

For example, Blitzwing's gave him access to his biggest gun. As another example, Warpath had access to his cannon in both modes but he couldn't fly; therefore, the treads made him faster. Also, Warpath may have gotten better protection in this mode. Since G2 Megs has been shown to be unbelievably tough in robot mode, I didn't see much point to him turning into a tank. It didn't even seem to intimidate anyone moreso than what his robot mode could do.

Armada Megs, I'm not sure about. I know he has access to the cannon in both modes, but I don't know if he can fly or not. I'd have to investigate this moreso. Aesthetics-wise, I thought he looked more goofy than intimidating.

His 10-changer form may be his best one yet due to its versatility from having so many modes; however, I can't elaborate more on this since I don't know each mode's capabilities. A jet and car and boat mode does sound rather handy. Speaking of handy, what was the point of turning into a damn hand? Regardless, despite all of these capabilities, he looked mighty goofy to me.

As a jet (and only a jet), this made the most sense to me at least until someone explains the 10-changer better. The jet at least gave him speed over what his robot mode could do. It made him more effective. Personally, I'd much rather pick a jet over a tank.

Finally, to give the short answer:

Which do I like: The gun though it really needs to be written better.
    Most practical: The 10-changer.
    What would I like to see: A super artillery piece like the 210mm Atomic Cannon. Distance and awesome firepower. If that could be worked into transforming to a jet for speed, Megs would be unstoppable -- if he were written well that is.

13. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I'm going to go with any kind of heavy weapon, not a hand gun, but a tank or some kind of cannon always worked well for me.

14. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Tank! I never liked the gun mode even as a kid.

15. skyrinkfusion

skyrinkfusion Well-Known Member

ive always liked the classic gun, its so bad a$$....but the idea of it is really inconvient since someone does have to hold him, thus galvatron....which is pure awesomeness.

but the idea of a tank is also cool since as a leader, u should be big and be identified as destruction, and a tank fits that to a T

16. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Wow looking back on the original posts there are a lot of guys on there that I miss talking to on here now. Still going with my original answer though. Any type of gun or tank is definitely more Megatron's style than anything else.

17. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I never liked the whole Megatron to Galvatron redesign. Sure, in the 1986 movie, the reformat process looked cool, but I didn't really like the design and I liked the toy even less.

That is, until Universe/Classics Galvatron; because that design does look great.

Still, I'd wish Megatron stayed Megatron in the 1986 movie. It might have looked something like this ( Yes, TANK mode for Megatron ) : [​IMG]

18. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    I'd just like to comment about his Intelligence level being 10 and the previous member asking when was this ever portrayed...

Look back at how many awesome plans Megatron hatched. Regardless of the fact the Autobots always won. They had to, they're the good guys. So take all his schemes and add all the super contraptions and mobile/temporary bases. Megatron is brilliant. He had the ideas, all the Autobots ever did was sit around waiting to see what Megs would throw at the world next.

19. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

QFT

20. DECEPTIKONBRAWL

DECEPTIKONBRAWL Autocepticon

:jawdropper:  did you make that?