What aged better G1 or Sunbow GI Joe?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Hotshotprime43, Sep 9, 2018.

?

What aged better G1 or Sunbow GI Joe?

1. The Transformers (G1)

28 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. G.I. Hoe A Real American Hero

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

When I was at a store today that sells old action figures I ended up talking to a G.I. Joe collector and he said that the G1 cartoon did not age well but feels G.I. Hoe A Real American Hero aged better but I disagreed and would say G1 aged better and is more watchable now then the Sunbow G.I. Hoe A Real American Hero is now. Now I enjoy both shows but for me G1 is still very watchable today and with only a few cringe episodes but I feel G.I. Joe just has more episodes that can be a bit too goofy. There some great ones like The MASS Device 5 parter but then you have episodes like "The Germ" although Transformers has episodes like "Hoist goes Hollywood" but has great episodes like "The Burden Hardest to Bear". Point is both shows are still good but I still think G1 is great for the most part. Thoughts and opinions on what aged better?

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheIronBot

TheIronBot Well-Known Member

Idk, i havent watched Gi Joe in forever. I should!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

Sunbow TFs for sure.

Now, if we want to compare the two Marvel comics runs for GI Joe and the TFs then they both aged extremely well but GI Joe wins that battle. Much like I did with the TFs, the comics were always my canon over the cartoons for both but GI Joe really shined in the comics whereas Sunbow TFs is at least watchable and more easier to go with on suspension of disbelief. I had a hard time as a kid making peace with GI Joe fighting a war with a giant global terrorist organization with zero casualties (they even retracted the one casualty in the Joe movie since Duke came out of his coma instead of offing him as was the original plan).

• Like Like x 2
  4. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    G.I.Joe Resolute was good.

The dialog and plots with the Origian were okay but I hated the one sided battles that constantly went on with G.I. Joe. The Sunbow Movie was fine (although I couldn't stand Sgt. Slaughter) but beyond that, NO!

You'll see 10 Sky Striker's facing off against 10 Rattler's and 10 Rattlers will just sit there and get shot up. And even as a child it insulted your intelligence, like why are tanks just sitting there getting blasted and troops getting punched in the face..? I understand the "goodguys" winning but there's no real opposition, hence BORING!

At least with G1 there's a since of scale and you didn't see CliffJumper taking out Megatron.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shepard Prime

Don't forget the ever famous parachuting out of helicopters that still have their blades spinning. :D 

GI Joe Resolute was cool as hell. When I saw it for the first time, I didn't know a Joe cartoon was out and I thought it was Metal Gear or something for a few seconds.

6. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    It's what motivated me to collect those 25th Anniversary Joe sets. Then that G.I.Joe: Renegades crap took over along with those horrible live action movies that killed any momentum J.I.Joe had.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shepard Prime

Aw, man, the movies. I was willing to forgive them for the first movie and give them a chance on the second one and given the cast, I thought,"Alright, they're right the ship with this one."

After the movie:

"How do you **** up a movie with THE ROCK as Roadblock and Bruce Willis as the First JOE?!" And then they're going to have to reset *again* (after the quasi reset with Retaliation).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hotshotprime43

But Laserbeak, Ravage, Rumble, and Frenzy did give Optimus a run for his money at some points o_O 

9. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    "But we're not fighters like they are Prime" ~Huffer S1E2, More Than Meets The Eye (Part 2)

Autbots had the Cons outnumbered for the most part but the Cons were tougher and packed more fire power.

• Like Like x 2
  10. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    We're talking about the same Studio that made Battleship.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Shepard Prime

It's funny because it wasn't until I started collecting again as an adult that I realized the Autobots do have numerical superiority but the cons they had were just so freaking deadly. What made me realize this is how many Autobots were on my must get list but almost all the must get cons were the heavy hitters. I don't have a lot of the low ranking/near nameless cons in my collection unless I come across one that's just too cool not to but I have a lot of Autobots that may not have been all that visible but made enough of an impression in their limited window that they became favorites to me.

For the cons, it's all about Megs, Screamer, Shockwave, Soundwave/tapes, Scorponok, the combiners, Galvatron and his crew, the triple changers, Overlord, Six Shot, TRypticon...cons like that.

In my shame, I had decent hopes for that movie on the strength of Peter Berg's Rundown, with The Rock, Sean WIlliam Scott and Rosario Dawson. So when they announced Battleship, I was willing to give it a shot because, again,"Hey, it's made by the same guy that made The Rundown. Surely he can do something with...oh, GOD, WHAT THE $#!T is THIS!!!?" :D 

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    Joe, honestly.

13. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, now that you bring it up during the first season It was only Megatron, Soundwave, 5 cassettes but they really only used Rumble, Ravage and Laserbeak, 3 Seekers, Shockwave stayed on Cybetron with 3 Rainmakers they only aired once and 3 bots that combined to make Reflector. You could say they evened it out with the Constructicons and Insecticons at the end but throughout most of the Season it was just 11 Decepticons, against....

Prime, Ironhide, Ratchet, Prowl, Bluestreak, Hound, Jazz, Wheeljack, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Mirage, Trailbreaker, Bee, Cliff, Brawn, Huffer and Gears almost every episode (not even including Skyfire or the Dinobots).

So that's 17 Autobots Rolling out against 11 Con's during real battles at the end of each episode. And why the Con's were so much more respected VS Cobra who just got their rears handed to them in 2/3's over every episode (Save for Cobra getting the upper hand on a Joe before each commercial break).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hotshotprime43

18 Autobots plus if you want to include Hauler we have 19 haha

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hotshotprime43

You know I decided to go through a list of every G1 episode and really the only episodes I do not like are the following, A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court, Childs Play, Hoist Goes Hollywood, Carnage in C-Minor. Out of 98 episodes there are only 4 duds to me in the whole. These are the only episodes I do not think aged to well or are too goofy.

Then looking at G.I. Joe these are the episodes I feel do not hold up today. The Greenhouse Effect, Where the Reptiles Roam, The Germ, Eau De Cobra, Glamour Girls, Grey Hairs and Growing Pains, G.I. Joe and the Golden Fleece. So G.I Joe has 7 episodes I think are duds and have not aged well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

It's been years since I watched GI Joe: ARAH, so I can't judge for sure.

17. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'd say Transformers ages the best simply because fantasy has a harder time aging. A unicorn is accepted as a unicorn, whether it's from 1500 or 2018.

Although GIJoe is, perhaps, more timely where we have real organized terrorists threatening America and real American Special Forces fighting them.

• Like Like x 3
  18. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think they've aged about the same.

19. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well honestly i love both and think both are still very relevant to today's cartoons. I also think both could easily hold up to any trash on cartoon network and beat it hands down. Those 2 shows mean something and show what not to do etc.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hotshotprime43

I would agree with that. I feel action cartoons were at the best from 1983 to 2013. Where G.I. Joe, He-Man, and Transfomers started it all while the liks of Batman TAS, X-Men, and Beast Wars continued in the 90s and the 2000s had Justice League, Ben 10, and Avatar. After Young Justice and Transformers Prime ended the only real good action show I could think of from that point on would be TMNT 2012.

• Like Like x 2