WFC Walmart Netflix Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Pixelmaster, Oct 13, 2020.

1. TheSupernova

TheSupernova Out there. Thataway.

News Credits:
    This is what I did with mine, after putting a nasty crack in the windshield on the first transform. I may hit it again with some finer grit stuff (I only had 180 at the time), but it's far less frightening to transform. I also sanded down the nub that keeps the neck locked in back, as that was scary to pull out the first time.

Otherwise, I'm really liking this take on 'Bee! It's what I've been waiting since childhood for!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shlockwave

Shlockwave a.k.a Moronmaster

The corner of my car top (where it connects to the left shoulder chipped off during transformation). It makes the shoulder less secure, but it's not a total disaster yet...

3. Ryogawa

Ryogawa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey, would you mind telling me which side you knocked the pin out from? Is it the same side as the Cliffjumper video Emgo put out? Got the same set myself and not really sure where to start.

EDIT: Just gave it a try and it is the same side as shown in Emgo's video. However, the pin seemed much tighter on bumblebee than on cliffjumper for my copies.

On a side note, the adapter came pretty loose and floppy for me (even the peg to Bumblebee's back was uselessly loose) so I had to use superglue to add some friction so it holds in place in robot mode.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  4. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As previously mentioned in the thread, I managed to snag Takara'a Bumblebee for a decent price from Amazon Japan instead of the often-scalped Hasbro one. I was looking forward to him a great deal since I felt he was easily the best Bumblebee we have ever gotten in Generations, and I wasn't disappointed at all by what I got.

20210416_095849.jpg

Robot mode alone is enough to cement Netflix Bumblebee's status as the best Bumblebee out there. His range of articulation is just insane, featuring waist rotation and 90 degree ankle rockers as well as wrist rotation! He also doesn't have any panel kibble hanging off his arms like the Classics or Titans Return version, and the VW Beetle headlights on the legs makes him more faithful to the original model than any other toy on the market. He doesn't have an Autobot insignia on his chest, but I don't particularly care about that so it's okay by me. His weapon is Cliffjumper's bazooka in a slightly different color, which is still as fun as it was with Cliffjumper even though it doesn't suit Bee's character. Both cannon pieces on mine actually had huge scratches in the paint, which was a disappointment, but I decided not to mind it. It'll be either repainted and given to Ironhide or placed in the custom parts bin when the Centurion drone set arrives and Bee gets his proper blaster.

Now for the elephant in the room - yes, he partsforms. And I fully expected to dislike him because of it, because I hate figures that partsform by trying to pass off what is clearly part of the alt mode as a flimsy 'shield'. But in hand, I find myself minding it less than I expected. Although it still sucks as a shield, at least it pegs on his back and stays there fairly unobtrusively. I also learned that there's an upgrade that eliminates the partsforming, which I will be using as soon as I get my hands on it.

20210416_102636.jpg 20210416_103556.jpg 20210416_103415.jpg 20210416_104044.jpg

Transformation is the same as Cliffjumper, but attaching/detaching the 'shield' piece is marginally more difficult because someone had the bright idea to make the pegs larger than they were on Cliff. I can detach it by wiggling it side to side a little, but I fear that such methods won't be possible when I attach the upgrade kit and it's no longer a separate piece. Fortunately, the vehicle mode more than makes up for it. I believe this is the first actually licensed vehicle mode we ever had for Generations, which is amazing. The VW badge on the hood is nicely picked out with silver paint, as are the door handles and rims (that have molded VW badges as well). It's a perfect rendition of the classic VW Beetle mode, which is actually even smaller than SS18 Bumblebee's Beetle mode. It is still capable of using the cannon parts as hydrofoils, and the instructions also show a Stealth Force transformation that turns Bumblebee into what is more or less a howitzer. I don't know why I find that so hilarious.

(One thing I've noticed is that there's a strange white mark on my Bumblebee where the side mirror meets the car body, as can be seen when you enlarge the first picture of vehicle mode below. I can't tell if it's a stress mark or a paint error - if someone can identify the cause, please let me know.)

20210416_105526.jpg 20210416_105541.jpg 20210416_110633.jpg 20210416_110320.jpg

A lot of recent toys, particularly in the WFC Trilogy, have earned the title 'mini-Masterpiece' due to their accuracy to media and involved transformations. Bumblebee hews as close as he can to that standard in his smaller-than-average size, and despite the mild partsforming component I fully feel he deserves the title. Even if you don't like him, I suggest you pick one up - there's no knowing when VW's license with Hasbro will expire, and this may very well be the only official CHUG Bumblebee with a Beetle alternate mode.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Autoboty

News Credits:
    For those interested, here's a comparison between Netflix Bumblebee and fellow VW Beetle SS18 Bumblebee...

20210416_112125.jpg 20210416_114010.jpg

...and another comparison with his pretool, Earthrise Cliffjumper.

20210416_112241.jpg 20210416_114130.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  6. cylor

cylor Well-Known Member

Great review, thanks!
    Just out of curiosity: where did you manage to order Centurion? Also from Amazon Japan?

7. Autoboty

News Credits:
    I actually preordered it from a store called Loopaza. Though I am wondering if everything's okay with them, because my preorder that was supposed to be in stock at the end of March still hasn't started shipping...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  8. JackAd89

JackAd89 Well-Known Member

This figure is tempting me to Buy it but i'm worried the chest is clear plastic

9. OCDChad

OCDChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure what this alt mode is supposed to be from. It's licensed but he isn't a Beetle in the Netflix show and it doesn't look like the G1 cartoon either.

10. HAL237

HAL237 Star Saber Backer #3034

It’s what a VW Beetle looks like in real life.

• Like Like x 3
  11. OCDChad

OCDChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know. A real Beetle with that bot mode doesn't match up with the media.

12. HAL237

HAL237 Star Saber Backer #3034

A lot of WFC and Netflix figures aren’t accurate to their respective media.

13. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    That's because, as with most TF series, the show is based on the toys, not the other way around. It isn't the toys being "inaccurate", it's the media.

14. Hino

Hino Active Member

Just been messing around with my figure and made a disappointing discovery, do NOT leave bumble in ski mode for extended periods of time. His Shield/Trunk piece unlike the rest of the Cliff Jumper molds has two full circle pegs that plug into the hands during vehicle mode (The rest of the CJ Molds use C shapes instead) which I think contributes to the difficulties in getting that piece into place.

Anyway in Ski Mode one of the mini pegs on the rear piece of the cannon (The flip out black piece) just snapped off inside one of the pegs and I cant get it out leaving one of those pegs sealed with a black plug!

While not the end of the world its kind of annoying so please be very careful when dislodging that piece. I wonder if spraying the inside of the Trunk peg with a lubricant would help outside of also shaving the mini pegs a fraction?

15. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Are you trying to convince someone with “OCD” in their name that it’s okay that the toys do not match the media?

16. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    No, I'm reminding him that it's the media that's not accurate to the toys, rather than the other way around. Transformers is (almost) never toys based on a cartoon. The norm is media based on the toys.

• Like Like x 1
  17. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

So was this figure really hard to find? I saw a ton of these a few months ago.

18. Hino

Hino Active Member

Not sure how it goes in your part of the world but in mine the Netflix range usually gets one or two restocks and then thats it

19. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    I saw one banged up Cheetor and a couple Deesus Drones in-store from Netflix Wave 3, literally never saw Wave 2 in-store, not even Wheeljack or pea-soup Impactor.