WFC Siege Spinister

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ExVeeBrawn, Nov 22, 2019.

1. ExVeeBrawn

ExVeeBrawn You Are Out of Range

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Hey I'm gonna spoil the end of the review right now: Siege is ending on the highest of notes.

I got Spinister at Walmart this afternoon, and ever since I opened it and started handling it, I've been trying and trying to think of what in Siege at the Deluxe price point is close to this. And I'm not coming up with much of anything. Impactor maybe? Not that it matters by price point, because I'm seriously thinking Spinister puts every other full size toy in the line to at least a little shame.

(High-res/full quality here)
    spinister IMG_61_00503.jpg

In robot mode Spinister feels large in the hand, and is pretty solid - there's very little in the way of hollow spaces here. The thighs are the main offender, with inward-facing empty spaces. But honestly I didn't really notice them until I specifically started looking for them like 30 seconds ago. There's a little bit of it in the forearms, kind of. They fill it in and disguise it well, though.

spinister IMG_61_00513.jpg

One of Spinister's defining details is that V of rotor blades sticking up from the back, and I love the way they made that happen. There's an extra little fin on the tail mast that pokes through a hole on the outer back plate. What this does is catch in a shallow notch on the base of the rotor. When the blades are collapsed to form that V, the notch meets the tail fin and the blades are held securely upright. It's a great solution that does not in any way harm the blades' ability to freely spin in alt mode.

Poseability is good. Transformation requires a double hinge elbow, so we get a bit of a bonus there versus the "standard model". The knees are only single hinges, but they have an extended range also thanks to how the transformation works. Spinister is blessed with wrist swivels just because, and the ankles are functionally multi-jointed. On my copy the ankle joints are pretty tight, so making use of them takes some effort, but they have a lot of potential.

spinister IMG_61_00504.jpg

The deco is I'd say average in quality with some sloppy edges in a couple places. But there's a good amount of color variation, and we have to keep in mind the two clear plastic canopies take up a lot of paint each. Spinister has quite a quantity of paint work, and it's used very effectively. Plus of course we have those wonderful late G1 colors. It's quite brilliant. :D 

You know what else is brilliant? The way this transforms. I rarely indulge in the concept of "toy spoilers" but the engineering here is a sort of magic experience that especially folks who appreciate the engineering of Transformers will probably want to have first hand. The process of going from torso to two-thirds of a helicopter felt pretty unique, and I don't think I'm alone in the opinion that there hasn't been a lot of unique in Siege's transformation engineering up to now. Even the way the legs actually work in practice is really interesting, even if much less complex than the body. Just go in understanding that order of operations with the legs is very very important.

The helicopter is where the compromise happens for this toy. But that's solely on the basis of the underslung second cockpit. That's the only significant problem I have here. The helicopter is solid, just the right kind of chunky, and still feels good-sized when you handle it. If that second cockpit could have been actually hidden away, it'd be virtually perfect. On, say, a nitpicky level, I could say that I wish there were more 5mm ports distributed in other places. Like, the actual cockpit has one port along one side, but not on the other side. That port is meant for the robot mode, as the false cockpit has a matching port on just one side. But there's also not a port to allow placement of a chin gun, for instance. It's not to say there aren't a healthy amount of options present, but I'm feeling the absence of a couple specific ones.

spinister IMG_61_00580.jpg

The guns are also a let down in one specific kind of context. I like that they're made to stack on each other to emulate a double-Targetmaster, and they at least resemble Spinister's TMs' gun designs. But especially since we did end up with both of Spinister's little buddies as Battlemasters (even if one is an exclusive) I so deeply wish that these guns would have gotten an easter egg feature where they could replace the back guns on those two Battlemasters so that the end user could make (mostly) proper Targetmasters if they had all of the different toys. But again, that's a pretty specific, probably very me-only kind of complaint, so don't let it color things too much for you.

(full size 1, full size 2, full size 3)
    spinister IMG_61_00511.jpg spinister IMG_61_00517.jpg spinister IMG_61_00518.jpg

I am so, so happy with this toy. Especially after the mild letdown Apeface was, Spinister just presents as fantastic from beginning to end. It's a hell of a way to see Siege off, and I hope that our designers didn't have a chance to lose momentum between doing this and the first wave of Earthrise. This literally made my day today.

• Like Like x 49
  2. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I have been looking forward to Spinister since he was announced and I'm just waiting on the pre-order to be filled from Amazon. After seeing the first (and rather poor quality) video review I knew he'd be my favorite of the line and I'm glad to see another well composed and thorough review also give him his due.

3. Optimugatron

Optimugatron Well-Known Member

Singe from Wave 5 is his other partner if I am not mistaken... is there any chance that you could post pics of the faux canopy in alt mode, and a pic of his back in bot mode? Just curious how the second canopy looks. I have no connection to this character or his late G1 toy, but this figure looks really good and I am anxious to get him.

Side note, I feel Apeface is getting a bad rep unfairly. While far from perfect, in hand the white is far better looking and after figuring out the tabbing for beast mode he is solid as a rock. At the price point of a Voyager, I say the pulled off giving us a proper G1 update of a rather cool character.

4. lambi

lambi Well-Known Member

Looks so good!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    ExVee, you made my day.
    Gorgeous pictures and a solid write-up. I'm even more excited for this dude now.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FANTASTIC REVIEW

I was not excited in the least for this guy. Congrats..you sold me.

I really like the detail and your approach, and even your pics for the review. this is a great write up. be proud..thats a solid review dude

• Like Like x 2
  7. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    Being that I know nothing about Spinister other than a.) he was a BotCon 2012 exclusive, b.) he was a Scavenger in IDW, and c.) he's a Double Targetmaster, I'm going to imagine Spinister as being The Mandalorian, but a Transformer.

This toy only strengthens that headcanon.

• Like Like x 4
  8. lambi

lambi Well-Known Member

you literally know everything about Spinister

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not quite - he was the leader of the new Mayhem Attack Squad and part of Thunderwing’s team during The Matrix Quest arc in Marvel G1. He actually had quite a bit of personality in the Marvel G1 stories.

Great review, can’t wait for mine.

• Like Like x 5
  10. ExVeeBrawn

ExVeeBrawn You Are Out of Range

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Yeah, of course. The weird thing about the back, there's two 5mm ports that you can't access unless you fold the blades down, and there's not enough clearance from the rotor to use them in vehicle mode.

High-res/full quality
    spinister PWP_61_00004.jpg

High-res/full quality
    spinister PWP_61_00005.jpg

Getting a good shot of the bottom of Spinister is more difficult than from above. There's only one display stand port, and the fit on this copy is loose, plus it's positioned where it'd partly block the view of the under-canopy anyway. Hopefully these angles will be adequate to show what the spare cockpit looks like. Oh, and I tried to see if you could actually switch which cockpit goes where, but the landing gear on the "real" one seems to block it from going in the underbody position. So I guess it might be nice to know you can't accidentally get it backwards?

High-res/full quality
    spinister PWP_61_00006.jpg

High-res/full quality
    spinister PWP_61_00008.jpg

High-res/full quality
    spinister PWP_61_00011.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  11. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

I think that technically Snarler was the leader, but Spinister was the field team leader.

He had a fair bit of personality in the UK stories, but was a bit more generic in the US book.

Excellent review ExVee- I'm still curious about a a redeco/remold option and I wonder if those roof ports imply a non-helicopter option.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    A lot of artists spent a lot of time drawing helicptor transformers in the previous IDW continuity with their coptor blades in robot mode in this upwards V configuration and I'm glad to see that finally get replicated in a toy.

• Like Like x 2
  13. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome. Great photos and review. Sold.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Transider

Transider - caught in an organized chaos -

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I told myself to stick w/ MP/Leader/Ultra class scale, but when good details come from a small package like this one, it's hard to hold back the temptation.

15. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    The funny thing I have to admit well sometime ago I'd looked at a G1 of him before but was I dunno. Then this figure gets released in up coming figures in the line and I'm like YES I want. So if and when I find him online to buy I'm gonna be super happy to have him. So it still won't scratch that itch to have the original so now I STILL have to get the g1. Just so I'm gonna end up with the updated version and g1 for comparison I guess you could say.

16. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

Will anybody take a photo that looks like this?

300px-Spinister-boxart.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  17. Ricardo Dawkins

Ricardo Dawkins Well-Known Member

/ME WANTS.

rotor blades behind the robot in "V" position are G1 based.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 What to type here?

News Credits:
    Indeed, it’s literally visible like that on his original packaging art.

19. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now that you’ve said it, I’m honestly bummed this didn’t happen, especially given how samey the gun Battlemasters have been in Siege. I mean, Rung aside, we basically got 2 1/2 different molds that got redecoed to death.

I wonder if a shapeways designer could make an adapter or something?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Had forgotten how nice his g1 box art looked - thanks for posting! Not sure who the artist that did a lot of the ‘88 boxes was, but they’re some of my favourites.