WFC Siege Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ExVeeBrawn, Nov 3, 2018.

1. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    So I was waiting on the Japanese retail release in March (since I live in Japan), but broke down and bought the Hong Kong version of this guy yesterday at Wonderfest, and I am disappointed by two things: does everyone's copy have a loose right ankle?? I see a couple mentions on here, and Peaugh mentioned it in his review, but I'm trying to figure out if it's universal--waiting on my Amazon shipment of the J version in March, not sure if it will be worth getting another one in hope of tighter joints. Also, his left shoulder flap piece is super loose in tank mode, and it's not a huge problem, since the sword being stuffed in there kind of props it up, but it's also annoying.

Paint apps are also really sloppy. Despite being painted/made at I assume the same factory as Studio Series and PotP, I feel like it's a big step back in aesthetic quality tbh.

The mold on the whole is of course nice, and it's great to see them making products that are obviously made for adult collectors.

2. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

Yes the ankle is not loose the tab is to tight. Make sure the tab clicks in tight. I had to sand mine down a bit for an easy click

3. RodimusZero

News Credits:
    No, I mean, the tab that you have to click over is a little tight, but after that, the left ankle on mine just flops around with no resistance. Like, it's still useful if you're standing him up, and the right ankle is fine, but it's kind of annoying.

4. Metalwario64

Metalwario64 City Commander

I'm hurting my finger trying to figure out how to click the ankle on the right leg back into place without removing the foot. Where do I press to do it properly?

I'm tempted to file the notch down slightly. Also, the joint is super floppy when the left one is decently tight.

Lastly, his right hip joint's outward movement is pretty floppy too. Would putting future on the joint piece on the side of his leg and moving it around tighten it up? I would put it on the pin, but it's not the large capped pin hip joints are usually on, so I can't do it like that here.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

Sand Down the tab it will click in as easy as the other... take it slow you can always take a little more off but you can’t put it back

6. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    So... despite reading this thread and watching the reviews I got this figure.
    I thought that simply having a G1-ish Megatron would make up for the shortcomings. To an extent I was right, but

This figure still mages to let me down.

I am undecisive about whether to suck it up and keep it or return it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Metalwario64

Metalwario64 City Commander

As a figure I like it, but the loose joints on mine make it very annoying. My Classics one is still super tight.

I just need to see how sanding that foot tab a bit and then futuring the loose hip works out. Also, for anyone who might have done it, where would I apply future to the right foot to keep it from flopping? I've seen others claim that foot is floppy for them, but has anyone else managed to fix that?

8. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    wow, just found this. mine has the exact same issue. i don't play with him enough for it to really bother me, but it's nice to know.

9. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is my first Siege figure. I had mostly sworn off this line because I didn't want to get trapped in another CHUG cycle of constantly upgrading characters as better versions coming out. But I got him on impulse after passing a few times seeing him in person.

Wow, color me surprised. He had a really surprising heft to him that my current CHUG Megatron (the Titans Return version) doesn't have at all. He's really solid and poses well- and the thing that I was most wary about, his sinking neck, is nonexistent on mine. The neck plate sits firmly flat and won't go down.

I'm impressed. Time to order Optimus!

• Like Like x 1
  10. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

Got Megatron last weekend as a gift. Really like him, but had to do a few fixes. Added a small piece of duct tape inside his chest so his head doesn't keep flopping down, and added a lego block (modified) to his torso so that he's just a bit taller than my default Starscream and Shockwave. Makes him taller than Siege Optimus but I'm ok w/ that.

Next fixes to tackle: his left fist so loose it flops around on it's own. The head on ball joint can't really look up and is also pretty loose. I might be able to fix that easier than the fist / wrist. Any ideas for any of these fixes would be appreciated!

EDIT: fixed the fist -- hooray for more duct tape!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. RodimusZero

News Credits:
    Important update from Japan!!

So, this past weekend, I got the Japanese edition of Siege Megatron, despite having the US version with its QC issues as in my post above, and THE JAPANESE VERSION IS IMPROVED SIGNIFICANTLY! First of all, they added a friction-ish lock for his neck platform which improves his torso stability a lot. No visible mold changes, but it sits in place very tightly. Also, the shoulder pylons/fold-down bits are much tighter. And finally and most importantly, his ankle pivots are nice and tight. The right ankle is still a little hard to click into place, but the hold is way better than the US one.

It’s obviously a personal choice if you like this mold enough to pay an import price for the J version, but to me it was worth it.

12. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You say they added a "frictionish lock" but there is no mold change.

It's probably the modern HasTak repaint/Retool effect. The 1st releases have been sloppier than the repaint/retool.

We used to get a perfect 1st release...and then the repaints would all be sloppy and floppy. Now it's the other way. I think they may engineer mold degradation, and by the time the repaint hits...its a perfect feeling figure

13. RodimusZero

News Credits:
    Yeah, there's no mold change, but the head panel sits very tight in place, and it even "feels" like it's fitting into place.
    All his wrists/elbows/waist are all considerably tighter as well. Clearly, Takara used the 5 months between the Hasbro and Takara releases
    to adjust the mold a lot. So, for US people, maybe the upcoming 35th anniversary anime repaint will be a good option to get.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That does not happen in my experience. You dont just "adjust" a mold. I have enough industrial experience to know they did something different.

Forever...literally..forever when we had a repaint of any transformer..the repaint would be looser, sloppier..and it would get WORSE with every single repaint, and the original figure would be the best example of a good, "as designed" copy. So much so that mold degradation of the deluxe seeker mold (from my memory) caused hastak to say "we will never make another figure from that tooling. It's too far gone." People do not realize how drastic and how adverse and environment this tooling is in. Ultra high pressures, ultra high heats, quick cool downs...quick heat ups... if any of you guys that know how shit works, seen plastic injection molds at work, you would have some serious appreciation that a human can assemble a toy like this AT ALL after going thru the process so many..many times

NOW, I 100% believe, that mold degradation is FACTORED INTO THE DESIGN. That is why we are seeing "prepaints". Now we do not get the actual GOOD figure, AS DESIGNED, until the 2nd run. Look at titans return optimus and megatron...clearly both were not the prime candidates for the molds, but when I got blitzwing and octane the figure felt SO much better than prime and megatron.

I think we started seeing this during combiner wars. Lots of us would get a repaint and it was BETTER than the 1st one. I think that's when they changed the way they do things in regards to completely planning a mold for reuses before the main intention even goes into production.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

I painted my Megatron with extra red bits. The rectangle on his abs. And more red on the side of his rib area. Which imo helps make him look less wide/stocky. And finally more red all around his biceps. If you are confident enough, I recommend doing this. I was lazy, and just used a regular red Gundam Marker. (also due to these marker paints being very durable) The color is a close match. He looks a lot better, more complete. Also it's more accurate to the g1 cartoon.

20190328_205004.jpg

I also tightened his loose right ankle, as well as his neck flap joint. I used superglue. (Be careful not to accidentally glue joints unmovable!) They still move like they're supposed to. I can even hold him by his head off the ground, and the neck still remains! Turned out better than I could have hoped.

20190328_205048.jpg

20190328_205153.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    DSCN3787.JPG
    got mine 1/9/19, so I think the american one has that change
    DSCN3788.JPG DSCN3790.JPG

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Chienhuycu

Chienhuycu Member

18. Mattress

Mattress Well-Known Member

19. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thicker neck panel

• Like Like x 1
  20. fujishig

fujishig Well-Known Member

Now I'm wondering if the loose panels on Ironhide's legs will be "magically" fixed.