WFC (Siege, ER & possibly Kingdom)figures YELLOWING quickly

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by deathzero23, Aug 23, 2021.

1. nasunasu

nasunasu Member

As I know, the problem is from a element inside the plastic (higher than normal), Plastic still good and safe, but it make the plastic turn yellow easier.
    They didn't knew it, until they saw consumer feed back.
    It need time to find out what happen so some TF like Blaster still got yellowing issue.
    I don't know how to fix yellow problem, sorry.

Dude, they knew many languague.
    And they did collect feed back to fix the problem.

2. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

That made my brain hurt trying to figure out two things that cancel eachother out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no I get it,
    they dont know how to reverse yellowing on our currently owned toys but the problem should be fixed on future releases

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

People tell me he's supposed to look like this, but I'm pretty sure my Cyclonus has yellow'd.
    2024-05-27 03.42.48.jpg

5. Mojom

Mojom Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, yours has just started. Cyclonus' yellowing is PRETTY bad. Affected parts turn a deep shade of gold.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. Hyoumaru

I might as well disassemble and repaint those parts then, assuming paint will adhere to that plastic.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ProfessionalIcee

ProfessionalIcee I have a fear of places so I want to change shape.

Yours looks fine, it's probably the lights.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Well-Known Member

Well, folks, my experiments in retrobrighting pretty much were a fail. Everything I managed to de yellow is returning to its original condition. Conclusion. Don't waste your time. These batches of plastics lack the necessary UV stabilizers to keep oxidization at bay. There's no amount of retrobrighting that's going to fix that.

• Like Like x 9
  9. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :(  That sucks a bunch. I'd say you've done all you can (and then some) to try to figure this out, and thank you for taking another hit for the team on this issue and running those experiments.

Although it's disingenuous to say the issue is caused by lack of UV Stabilizers in the plastic formulation or we would find some form of consistency between lot numbers, manufacturing date, ANYTHING. But we just don't see that, so it's not just that alone, at least. And there is still the very strong theory (even stronger after your recent RetroBright experiences IMO) regarding unknown environmental factor(s) as a possible catalyst necessary to kick start the yellowing process.

10. Denzimus

Denzimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We might have to put Red Wing on the list.

11. Sixshot the six changer

Sixshot the six changer Aka Three Erasers

Is it weird that my figures haven't yellowed even though I don't keep them anywhere climate controlled? Like my ER Starscream ,which is reportedly heard of yellowing, hasn't yellowed none of my other figures haven't yellowed. Maybe it is the location of where I live but it can't be that because where I live the weather can't make up it's mind so temperatures are always jumping around.

12. Cool Hand Lube

News Credits:
    Not weird, I'm in the same boat as are many others. That's part of what makes this issue so infuriating to attempt to figure out. My only yellowing figure is SG Starscream, and he was bought secondhand, already mildly yellowing, and hasn't progressed or gotten worse since I got him. I also own most of the other figures on the list of possibly affected figures, and none of them are yellowing at all. The inconsistency leads me to believe all figures manufactured since midway through Earthrise to now have the potential to yellow (due to something wrong in the base plastic formulation) but only do start yellowing once exposed to some as of yet unidentified environmental catalyst that kickstarts the yellowing. That's the only explanation I can come up with for the fact that folks with yellowing figures tend to have a lot of yellowing figures and those that don't have the issue simply don't have the issue. There is no consistency found in lot number, manufacture date, etc., so either I'm (and all others without the issue) the luckiest SOB on the planet to just so happen to miss purchasing any of these yellowing figures, or the theory outlined above is true. Occam's Razor and all that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Fair play for all your efforts.

Although I think it's fair to say that, for whatever reason, your property seems to be ground zero for yellowing.

Like Cool Hand Luke, I don't think I've had any yellowing other than those which were yellowed straight out of the box as new (Motormaster, BB Ratchet).

• Like Like x 2
  14. Denzimus

Denzimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How bad is Kingdom Dinobot yellowing?

15. newmanium

newmanium Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It will adhere. I have not had any issue painting the thighs, elbows, hands, and neck on my copy.
    20240619_220713.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  16. Cool Hand Lube

News Credits:
    That looks really nice!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hyoumaru

That looks way better, what paint did you use?

• Like Like x 1
  18. newmanium

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    A light coat of Rust-oleum Paint+Primer Aluminum spray paint. If I could do it all over again, I would consider using satin Silver Lilac. This is a color I used on a custom Slipstream which I think would match well with Cyclonus' purple plastic.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Mojom

Mojom Well-Known Member

Looking good, don't forget the purple plastic that will also yellow. Most of it is on his back/vehicle roof and upper shoulders.

Not that bad from what I've managed to look up. His yellowing just makes some brown plastic become slightly off-shade to the adjacent brown plastic.

• Like Like x 2
  20. newmanium

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It has yellowed on my copy too but seems to be static. It is no where as bad as in thr photo above mine. I also have no found a paint that matches the good plastic.