Heavy/Scratch: WFC Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Omegaonline, Apr 19, 2024.

1. Omegaonline

Omegaonline Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    IMG_3262.jpeg

Why oh why can Hasbro not do a better job with these Gamer Edition WFC figures. They’re all, almost great but let down by some pretty big flaws.

Sideswipe is the latest in the line.
    First glance, he looks ok, but then as you dig a bit deeper, or even just look towards the bottom of his legs, you have to wonder what the designers were thinking.

Anyway, I’ve been looking forward to each of these figures and when looking at the pictures prior to receiving them, generally had an idea of how I could fix them up a bit. I thought the same with Sideswipe.
    Then he arrived.
    After transforming him a few times I was just baffled with those feet. Clearly the worst part of the figure , but I just couldn’t think how to improve them due to the tight fit of all the parts in vehicle mode. To the designers credit, they left no gaps, they’ve filled almost every mm of space in alt mode.
    There was no wriggle room for any add on parts (which is more my thing, rather than butchering a figure to make major changes).

So, it was time to butcher.

I decided those stock feet had to come off. unfortunately, they are really difficult to remove. The whole shin piece (including the foot) is attached to the leg with a single sided pin. Ie. There’s no way to push it out. It has to be pulled out.
    However, I had an idea; I figured I might be able to drill through the shin and push the pin out out the back of the leg, through the resulting hole. Nope.
    So, I ripped the shin off (no going back now) and tried to heat up the pin with a soldering iron to remove it. Nope.
    In the process I deformed the part the shin used to attach to. At this point, I was so frustrated. So, I said f$$k it and cut the shin attachment part off.
    I was left with a stumpy, shinless leg.
    What a mess.
    But, at least I had more freedom to design something. And that’s what I did.

It’s not finished yet but it’s pretty close.
    I designed a replacement shin and foot that would provide ankle tilt. It slots into place and holds on well. I still have to tweak the dimensions a touch.

I have a few more mods in mind after I fix the feet - which also look like they’ll be difficult but that’s the way it goes sometimes.
    Anyway, here’s the current status.
    IMG_3262.jpeg
    IMG_3261.jpeg

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 37
  2. DeathsTreads77

DeathsTreads77 Hot sauce addict

I see mods like this, and wonder why Hasbro couldn't do this. I guess everybody just has different ideas, and together they make the best result.

Speaking of which, this improves the figure a lot. Good work!

• Like Like x 8
  3. cloudballoon

cloudballoon Well-Known Member

My crazy theory is the GE subline's designer for deluxes got a fetish for duck feet. First Barricade, then Sideswipe.... and Bee/Cliffy got stupid opposite ankle tilt.

Back to this mod: it's awesome! How stable is it to pose?

• Like Like x 5
  4. DrakenDaWolfy

DrakenDaWolfy Under severe re-branding

Amazing so far, do you think there's potential for a waist joint? I know the backpack is quite big, but I wanted opinions on it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Omegaonline

Instagram:
    thanks very much.

Not sure on the stability yet. It should be fine but I haven’t had a chance to put pins in yet. I also just thought about making a change to the design of the feet that may allow the front part of the foot to be bigger…which could improve stability further.

The waist does have rotation built in as stock. I think you just can’t use it much because of the backpack. If that’s what you mean.
    The backpack is actually what I want to mod next.
    To have it sit higher and allow the waist to move better.
    I was thinking of having the backpack sit in a reverse position to the way it does as as stock. So, imagine turning it upside down from the stock position and then flip it 180 degrees. So, the hollow underside faces outward.
    That would position the wheels more like they are in the video game…higher up the back.
    Then I want to see if i can mod the wheels to make them a bit thicker. I’ll never get them game thick but they can maybe be a bit better than they are.
    Then have the spoiler sit inside the hollow shell. It will make it much less of a feature, like in the game, instead of the massive spikey feature it is right now.
    Anyway…not sure it can be done but it’s what I’d like to do.

• Like Like x 6
  6. DrakenDaWolfy

DrakenDaWolfy Under severe re-branding

I think you got what it takes! Everything is about trial and error, and you got this! I can't wait to see your future works on this one either way. I planned on getting this one but tk customise him as IDW Getaway

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nitronus

Nitronus Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    Wow!! Way to go man. I definitely want to get this set if you post it once you finish! Hasbro did my boy dirty with those ski feet.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Omegaonline

Instagram:
    I tweaked the design over the weekend.
    It works great. The mod provides ankle tilt and toe/heel movement that can be used for extra poseability.
    This guy is now very stable on his feet.
    And the new feet pack away neatly in vehicle mode.

This was a tough mod because of the space constraints and having to put parts of the figure under the knife, but I’m really happy with the outcome. Although I do need to paint the new parts.
    There is more I’ll be trying to do with Sideswipe so I’ll keep the thread updated as things progress.

I will put the mods up on Cults 3d. It just might take me a bit of time because I will have to write the instructions, etc.

Finally, I included a pic from the game that I used as a reference for the look I am shooting for on this project.
    The last pic is the game and the second last is my figure in a similar pose.
    IMG_3268.jpeg IMG_3269.jpeg IMG_3271.jpeg IMG_3272.jpeg IMG_3273.jpeg IMG_3253.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 27
  9. RePUGnicon

RePUGnicon A very indecisive individual

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I really didn't want this guy but these upgrades are definitely making it tempting.

Btw I think you uploaded some unwanted files in the last post.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Omegaonline

Instagram:
    Like all the figures in this line, it’s pretty good. The mods definitely help improve it though.

thanks very much for pointing out the extra pics. Not sure how they ended up on the post.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Vanya

Vanya Well-Known Member

Dang, this is even more impressive than the Barricade feet.
    I'm going to be all over this one when you post it.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    New legs! You got new legs!

• Like Like x 6
  13. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    A very impressive piece of engineering. Any pics of the underside in alt mode?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Omegaonline

Instagram:
    Thanks very much. These were much harder to figure out than Barricade. I thought I was beaten after I’d already put the figure under the knife. It took me a bit to figure out how to package all the parts together in such a tight space. I nearly gave up over the weekend and then I figured it out on Saturday night.

haha. Yup. He’s got real feet now.

Thanks. It’s the most complex design I’ve come up with in order to model one part of the body. lol.
    This is what the underside looks like in vehicle mode.
    IMG_3283.jpeg

• Like Like x 16
  15. Ellamin

Ellamin Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient beings.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    If you figure a way to make these easy to swap with the original figure, I'd be interested in a copy!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Prime customs

Prime customs Lonely basterd that likes transformers

YouTube (Custom URL):
    Lovely

• Like Like x 2
  17. grimlock1138

grimlock1138 Well-Known Member

WOOOOOO-HOOOOOO! AMAZING!
    In the immoral words of the epic traveler, Philip J. Fry: "Shut up & take my money!"

• Like Like x 4
  18. Vanya

Vanya Well-Known Member

Found my GE Sideswipe today!
    Just got him out of the box and transformed.
    I really dig this figure and I can't wait to upgrade those awful feet they gave him.

• Like Like x 4
  19. dkr7

dkr7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Will you be selling the files or a kit? This is way better than any upgrades I was expecting.

• Like Like x 3
  20. wutanger

wutanger New Member

I knew there were inevitably going to be some upgrade kits for his feet coming out. But this is genuinely better than anything I was expecting from the likes of DNA. I wouldn't mind seeing a touch more surface detail on the front part of the foot the way you did the shin. But that's just me! Seriously great work regardless.

• Like Like x 4