WFC-S33 Micromaster Off Road Patrol: AUTOBOT POWERTRAIN & HIGHJUMP

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Seeaich, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    In a turn-up for the books the Wave 4 Mini-Lads have hit the UK and Europe before the US proper.
    First up let me state I am all in for the non-exclusive Micromasters and love their playfactor, especially in relation to Base Bots and overall I recommend them if you've enjoyed the Siege Micromasters so far yourself but I am going to be honestly critical.
    DSC_0088.JPG
    First up the keen-eyed among you may have already spotted I have painted up the sides of Powertrain's chest and toes (I've also painted the edge trim of the trailer hitch painted section because it looked weird to me with just the top surface painted), that would be my first complaint. The blue apps are a bit stingy on Powertrain.
    When it comes to poseability though they are an improvement on the Sports Car Patrol, with both the Offroaders just about managing 90° forward at the hip, and full 90° bend for Powertrain's knees and a little extra from Highjump due to transformation.

Powertrain might lack apps but he has the cleaner and IMO aesthetically better robot mode.
    DSC_0089.JPG DSC_0097.JPG
    DSC_0097.JPG
    At least from the front, from the back he's plenty butt-flapped, foregiveable due to his size and necessary functionality though. You can also swing the hood canopy further out to make space for one or both of his legs to be swung back (about 45° max at the hip) for more dynamic poses, and some poses might be helped balance by altering the back canopy angle if it affords better weight distribution.
    DSC_0098.JPG
    DSC_0099.JPG
    Also as you can probably tell from the above when you swing his arms forward due to his backpack he can only manage the "Frankenstein Lurch"/sleepwalking arm position, though with his arm vertical or swung backwards (the max is about 30-33° back) you can swing his arm or arms out about 40-45°.
    I'm a little disappointed after being spoiled by Stakeout that we're back to minibots with no head rotation though, once again the chest and head are a solid piece on him (which is also the case with Highjump).

Truck mode is a decent little long nose. The transformation into it is a little quirky, straighten out the legs and arms, fully open the hood canopy, bend the legs down/forward 45° as the backs of his thighs have two small tabs at the top that stop the truck upper section rotating the 180° otherwise. Once the upper section is rotated, flip the legs back up straight (the two small tabs slotting in two small recesses helping to lock out the rotation), tab the wrist tabs into the slots at the top of the thighs, and snap down the hood canopy et voila!
    Sadly the middle pair of tyres are solid moulded details but they are IMO the best fake Micromaster wheels in Siege thus far and they did actually get painted where Topshot and Red Heat's didn't.
    DSC_0100.JPG DSC_0101.JPG DSC_0102.JPG
    One note on the front tyres, they are VERY easy to pop off. Be careful on removing him from the packaging, I nearly lost a tire just getting him out (but in that case I was being a smartass and removing them without cutting the plastic ties) and popped it off a couple of times more while exploring his mobility as well as when removing his arms to paint the chest sides.

Highjump certainly has the more janky bot mode but, hey, his G1 version only had arms from the elbow and a weird wheeled butt-axle so he's kinda in the right spirit, though this Highjump has clearly had a nosejob for the Fembots!
    He's possibly the worst hood behind head Micromaster so far in Siege, I don't see why he couldn't have had a straight flip-it-back like Roadhandler? Yeah, it wouldn't have sat totally flat to the back due to the angle of his windshield but that wouldn't have jutted so far over his head as this rather more complex hinging does. It really doesn't seem like that would have been any less stable for weapon mode than this.

I don't mind the lack of a canopy chest, it's to be expected when it seems the partscount on modern Micromasters doesn't stretch to an extending shoulder transformation joint and I kinda dig the odd detail of it like engine and grill details with a window? Part of me thinks I should recognise the chest as it seems so characterful but it doesn't resemble any G1 Micromasters that I could find. Also, yeah, I had to paint that "window".
    Plus I'm charmed by the tyre "knuckledusters", I'm grateful they made them look like weapons rather than have gibbon arms with Flak-like wheel-fists on him.
    As well as the aforementioned slightly superior knee bend, Highjump also beats Powertrain on the arm posing as he can outstretch his arms wide, straight out sideways in fact though if done from the arms being straight forward at the sleepwalker angle the tops of his shoulders can catch on the sides of the backpack cab. You can avoid that and any potential wear caused by it by swinging his arms out sideways when they're lower, then swinging them up when you have them angled out as much as you want.
    (BTW I leave the peg out in robot mode as an overhead cannon it helps the hood annoy me less if it has a "function".)
    DSC_0090.JPG DSC_0091.JPG DSC_0092.JPG DSC_0093.JPG

Transformation is a bit more straightforward that Powertrain's quirk, 180° his waist and fold up the legs, tab his arms in under the feet wheel wells, and move the hood down/forward on it's fancy joint arm until it clips in place and here's your Land Rover Defender in SPAAAAAAAAAACE!
    Personally I could have lived without the detail nod to his G1 knee hinge that's no longer there in both modes but, well he does have to look a bit in SPAAAACE doesn't he?
    DSC_0094.JPG DSC_0095.JPG DSC_0096.JPG

Weapon mode was a bit of a disappointment, the CG render looked like one of the best but in the plastic it has some real flaws.
    The first and most egregious to me is that Highjump's feet weapon mode details do not have their own 3mm effect part posts so fully Siege-functional single weapon modes are out.
    The other thing is, at least on my copy, it's really finicky to put together as the connection between Highjump's chest port and Powertrain's peg (when you finally manage to flip it out!) is really tight and as you get it pegged in in the right alignment it's easy to pop something else out of alignment like one or both of their arms or their leg angles out of alignment or separating Highjump's legs.
    Sadly the Euro multilingual instructions do not give me this monstrosity's name or even it's WFC letter and number designation but to get there, flip the gunbarrels out of Powertrain's legs and return him to truck mode but with his 5mm peg (eventually) out. Then flip out Highjump's peg in truck mode and slightly untransform his rear end, basically stretch his legs out but angle them up a bit.
    Peg Powertrain into Highjump's chest, and when you have them inserted the right amount you'll be able to clip a tab on the back of Highjump's legs onto the bottom of Powertrain's groin, you'll see there's a cutout contour in the back of Highjump's legs to match Powertrain's shape, and the result is...
    DSC_0103.JPG

...somewhat underwhelming.
    DSC_0104.JPG
    The main problem is that Highjump's peg handle doesn't really snap into place, it's got a bit of give which means the weapon sags down in the figures hand.
    DSC_0105.JPG

Plus the leg clip, attached as it is to so many moving parts is also not very secure and will often pop off (or at least as yet perhaps I haven't found exactly the right alignment to keep it secure so far).
    DSC_0106.JPG
    However I got these fellas mainly as tiny dudes that turn into vehicles, and critical as I have been I enjoy these figures for that but if the Micromaster so far have not been your bag, this isn't the set that will change your mind.
    Me, I love 'em BUT I could have loved 'em more!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Fallout

Fallout you finally met your nemesis

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    all i can think of seeing a red truck cab hanging off a robot's butt is "Optimass."

i don't really have anything else to say besides that. fuck, this is a good forum.

• Like Like x 2
  3. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Thanks for the photos and review! Not really liking the weapon mode but these actually look better than most of the Siege Micromasters we have gotten thus far (with the exception of the Decepticon Jets). I wish the local Wal-Mart didn't stop carrying Micromasters before this set's release but hopefully I can catch it at MSRP on Amazon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looking good, looking good. I've got the Irontread and Ricon versions of the molds already, but looking forward to these (though I really wish they'd used Mudslinger instead of Highjump, but I think there's only been one Micromaster pair where both were who I'd have picked).

• Like Like x 1
  5. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just got mine, here's some comparison shots with Rican & Irontread

EB7VpPgWkAAjp8T.jpg EB7VpPZXkAEza3S.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I'm really curious to see if the Rican & Irontread remoulds get a WFC Chapter 2 release pretty much as is except in the correct colours as Hydraulic & Big Hauler/Monster Truck Patrol, or if they get appropriately re-sized monster truck wheels? I kinda doubt that they'd punt on the extra plastic to do that but it'd be great if they did.

7. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Doubt they'd do the larger wheels: what would they do to Powertrain? Two close together on the rear at each side, one of which is moulded.

8. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    That's why I think it's most unlikely but basically you'd leave the faux tyre unpainted (OG Big Hauler only had four wheels) and mould larger monster truck tyres (a couple of millimetres extra diameter would do) that would have the original wheel width of material as a base extending them out for clearance. Pretty much as if you'd just glued the monster tyres on top of these original ones.

9. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Which I did. These are my favorite Siege Autobot Micromasters thus far. Weapon mode aside, both feel solid and don't have random things popping off like the car team. I was about to give up on Siege Micros too but the Off Road Patrol has been one of my favorite vintage teams so I decided to give them one more try and glad I did. Hopefully Hasbro might do a second pack with the rest of the team.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Highjump's tires pop off by looking at them. Also, both him and Rican's legs refuse to collapse perfectly in car mode. I always have a gap.

Weapon modes suck and I can't get Highjump's leg to lock as well.

Oh well.

11. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ugh. Clip-on wheels on figures this small is an even worse offense than on larger size figures. They just DON'T roll.

12. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These guys are sturdy, gives me hope future releases.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    The Truck by itself makes a perfect gun

Thise are the only two I really want from that pack...$40 nope can't do it.

14. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

15. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    Ah man, started posing these guys and High jump now has a bad hip on his left side, popping out easily, the truck is still solid though.

IMG_20190824_152100.jpg