Minor/Repaint: WFC:S Red Alert wheel to hover replacement

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Autobot00, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Autobot00

Autobot00 Well-Known Member

One of my gripes about the WFC:S line is that all of the cars had wheels. I could get behind this but knowing that Bumble Bee and Wheeljack didnt have wheels in the G1 pilot episode shows me that not all land based vehicles could or even should have wheels. So I decided to fix that. I mainly did this for a custom I was making but I think it actually works quite well.

This is a simple little replacement. Its basically an idea of some sort of gravity repelling device or maybe something like ironmans repulsors.
    20200918_064532.jpg 20200918_064553.jpg

And of course it wouldn't be WFC if it wasn't blast effect compatible.
    20200918_064545.jpg

Here I am showing multiple different effects to show that several can work pretty well
    20200918_064804.jpg 20200918_064831.jpg
    20200918_064845.jpg 20200918_064856.jpg
    20200918_064910.jpg

And that's about it. This should work with any of the mold mates and may even work for other bots. I have yet to try it cuz I've been busy. I think a little silver highlights would really make it pop or even chrome.

Anyway hope you enjoy this little upgrade and for anyone interested I have it on my tinkercad
    3D design WFC:S Red Alert wheel replacement | Tinkercad

Note that for anyone attempting to print, be very careful of removing the supports off the portion that would insert into the wheel socket. They are small and fragile and can break easily if not careful. Breaking one doesn't seem to affect its ability to stay in place as I've done so and still use it.

• Like Like x 22
  2. FredrickMcQuil

FredrickMcQuil Poor transformers fan

Really neat!

3. jimsloth

jimsloth Well-Known Member

The reason siege cybertron didn't get me buying toys is that they looked way too close to earth vehicles. This helps, but I think to really do it, I'd level off the hood, alter the spoiler, basically look at G1 Jazz cybertron vs earth modes and try to take it that far.

Btw I have been buying Earthrise. Got me back into TFs after a long hiatus.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Autobot00

I think they really should have taken the designs a little further making them more foreign like what we saw in the pilot episode, but they are what they are and we know why hasbro did it. easy minor retooling.

As far as this little tweak, I'm not trying to recreate the wheel (or was i lol) by completely re-hauling the figure, I just thought that giving it a hover car make over would give it a little something. And i did mention it was mainly for a custom but can work to spruce up the mold for anyone wanting to take the figure further from the standard car with wheels look.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vanya

Vanya Well-Known Member

I agree with the ideas here and especially with going for more of the G1 pilot episode aesthetic, but I do want to point out one fact.
    If you closely at the pilot, Bumblebee does, in fact, have tires. When he gets shot you can see the tires.

6. scuffed up rts bumblebee

scuffed up rts bumblebee dont reach for the stars youll burn up and die

YouTube (Old):
    Creative, well done

7. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    i LOVE that!

8. KibblerGrrrl

KibblerGrrrl Rejected mini-cassette prototype

These are neat!

What did you use for your inspiration? They don't look quite like Strongarm's & Sideswipe's hover "wheels" in the first episode of RiD (2015) nor the Marvel S.H.I.E.L.D. cars/BttF DeLorean flipdown wheels. (This isn't a criticism. I just want to know if there is a show with flying cars that I'm not watching.)

9. Autobot00

ty

ty

well honestly i was thinking about the car from captain america that howard stark shows off at the expo. not exactly the same but the idea is there. kind of like a turbine with magnetic repulsion from the ground.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. KibblerGrrrl

Thanks! I can't believe I forgot that one.

Note to self: Since I'm now going to be watching the first Captain America movie again tonight, I bet that WWII Bumblebee I've got would work nicely redecoed into a HYDRA mini tank with that spare Breacher head I've got and maybe some bigger wheels.

11. Bigcuddlybastard

Bigcuddlybastard Well-Known Member

Some greased ball bearings in the peg holes would be cool, then it could "hover" instead of roll like a car would

12. KibblerGrrrl

Or maybe some 5mm transparent craft beads.