WFC Kingdom Voyager Optimus Primal

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Hobbes-timus Prime, Dec 26, 2020.

1. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

I got this guy in with Cyclonus today and he's a pretty cool little bit. The only thing I'm not a fan of is how scary tight torso is to open, I feel like I'm going to break him every time I transformers him.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    20210224_151910.jpg 20210224_151836.jpg
    He is pretty good. Defintely better than the Robot Masters version with all the swivels for articulation. The white paint application on thighs and in face is not great. Can't tell if $30 is too much. I would have liked it around $25 with out the insert and character card.

I like the shoulder cannon hidden away better for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Omega 0ne

Omega 0ne YF-21

My first mainline purchase in a while and it's an exceptional release from HasTak. Great details in the sculpt, especially in the fur sections. Feels really solid in hand and the plastic quality is nice. A good affordable alternative to the Masterpiece version of everyone's favorite CGI monkey not truck. Not much else you could ask for aside from a battle/mutant mask, club, and the ability to connect the two swords.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I've been out of town, then out of state, dealing with a lot of stress, and as a result, I've got a huge backlog of TF's in, most early (or at least earlier then I was expecting), so much so, I don't think I ever got as much when I was a kid! Anyway, now that I'm finally in a good place to open and enjoy them, I've started to open them, but I'm spacing them out so that they get a chance to be enjoyed and pondered. I started with the "redeco" figures, SG Prime and Ratchet and Sandstorm, then I moved on to Studio Series Hot Rod and Cyclonus, then it was Studio Series Kup and Kingdom Blackarachnia. Today it was Primal and Warpaths turn!

I get the complaints that I'm seeing in this thread, but either I lucked out big time on the QC lottery, mine is from a later batch, or I'm just not doing whatever you guys are to your copy, as I don't have an issue pegging the knees together for robot mode, they peg in fairly solidly for me. Many joints were very tight, especially the shoulders and the beast legs.

When I first saw Primal, I said,
    And I was right. He is fun in hand. I like a lot of what we got. I would've liked the prime jets on his back and the cannons to be a little longer, but I'm content with what he is. A good transformer and I'm happy, can't ask for more really.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gold Bug

Gold Bug Member

Can someone share the height of him in beast mode while upright?

6. egrudzin

egrudzin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can someone post a picture of him with Thrilling 30 Rattrap? Does he scale better? Or is he too big? Core class is a little on the small side...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    I might be late to the party, but I just found out you can tilt his arm cannons up when they are out! Neat.

8. Avispanator

Avispanator Sub-Commander

News Credits:
    He looks great with the T30 Maximals, perfect scale in my opinion:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  9. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 Fossilizer Enthusiast. She/Her

Hey, how are you supposed to transform him without immediately scraping all the white paint off the upper thighs? I have to purchase a new copy because the first transformation completely fucked the legs up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Even though I didn't want any of the Kingdom BW figures, I broke down and got this guy because I wanted to add him to my Optimus Prime collection.

Aside from the scraping white thigh paint, the super tight joints, and the shoddy blade storage, He's pretty amazing.

The amount of sculpting detail, the premium paint job, the outstanding plastic quality, the added articulation (foot pistons, hands that open and close, and fold out forearm guns), and the realistic gorilla mode (those eyes stare into your soul) not only make Kingdom Optimus primal a fantastic figure but also so much more than the "glorified deluxe" that he's being called in this thread among other places.

Put him side by side with the Earthrise Datsun brother mold and tell me if you can still call Kingdom Optimus Primal a "glorified Deluxe". Go ahead. I'll wait.

I don't think it's possible. The white paint will inevitably scrape off.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  11. Burnout00012

Out of frustration I did a quick and dirty mod that will prevent most scrapes. I put it up on Radicons!

• Like Like x 2
  12. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Do you have a link?

13. Burnout00012

14. Turnstile

Turnstile Banned

This will be my first proper figure of Primal, and I'm glad it seems to be getting good reception, though I note potential issues mentioned earlier in the thread. Cross fingers my copy doesn't have any problems

15. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Prelude: He is the Boss Monkey, the Big Bot, the chief of the Maximals. He is Optimus Primal, who is a Munkee, not a Trukk, and at a time when Transformers were all but dead and gone, he helped revitalize a dying franchise. There have been quite a few Optimus Primals over the years and now the Kingdom line brings him back in his original form. Can the modern figure match the epitome of mid-90s extreme toy engineering? We shall see. Let’s say go!

Robot Mode: Let’s start with comparing the robot mode to that of the 1996 Ultra-Class Optimus Primal. Being a Voyager-class figure the new one is naturally quite a bit smaller, but also looks more streamlined and has a closer resemblance to the TV character, too. Despite the size reduction, quite a few of the original toy’s gimmicks have successfully made the transition. Primal has shoulder guns, arm blasters, and his trusty swords. He is missing the mutant head gimmick and the skull-shaped morning star, but he can get the latter from Paleotrex, if you want it. The flying fist / chest-pounding gimmick of the original also didn’t make the cut, but I doubt anyone will really miss that.

Personally I would say that Kingdom Primal kept all the good parts of the original and left aside only those that most people don’t remember anyway (aka the gimmicks never seen on TV). Overall the robot mode is very nice, highly articulated, and the sculpting makes it look like the black parts are actually fur. Very nicely done. The figure can pose with the best of them, even has opening fists, and despite standing a head shorter than Masterpiece Optimus Primal, he doesn’t have to take much of a backseat to that much, much more expensive figure.

Just a few minor nitpicks: Primal has his usual shoulder cannons, which the instructions either have pointing straight up or forward. It is possible to fold them away completely, but you have to open up the entire torso in order to do that. Would have been nice if there had been an easier method of hiding those shoulder guns. And speaking of hiding: Primal’s swords look cool, but while he can clip them onto his back, there is no place to hide them like the original figure did. Then again, the Masterpiece didn’t manage that one, either. Finally, Primal has a bit of a backpack, which in itself isn’t bad. I do wish they had sculpted his flight jets into that backpack somehow. That is something the Masterpiece DID manage. Finally, there is a slight gap between the chest plate and the neck, but you barely notice that.

Nitpicking aside, this is a very good figure in robot mode, both by itself and as a homage to the 1996 original. While it isn’t quite as gimmick-laden, it has all the important things and looks great. This is the Boss Monkey, no doubt. Very good with only very minor point deduction.

Alternate Mode: Optimus Primal transforms into a gorilla (technically an ape, not a monkey). The transformation is nearly identical to that of the original figure. The main difference is that the gorilla head is inside the torso, not on the inside of the chest plate, but otherwise it’s basically the same. The gorilla hides most of Primal’s robot mode bits and what few you can see don’t really matter much. You can keep the robot swords clipped to his back in this mode, too, if you want. Again, no way to hide them inside.

The gorilla is also very nicely sculpted, retains almost the full articulation of the robot mode, and has a great face. You can either have him standing nearly upright or down on all fours. Funny side note: looking at the instruction sheet makes it look as if the ‘transformation’ between standing gorilla and down-on-all-fours gorilla is a highly complicated process. Rest easy, it really isn’t. You just fold the knees a bit differently, that’s all. Anyway, the gorilla looks good in either stance. Personally I like the standing mode a bit better, if only for the very nice ‘come-at-me’ pose you can put him in (see 17th picture in my gallery).

So bottom line: a very nice gorilla mode, too. Certainly an improvement over the original one in terms of articulation and detailing.

Remarks: When Kenner launched the Beast Wars toyline in 1996, Transformers was pretty much dead, so they knew that their good guy leader figure needed to knock it right out of the park. And boy did they succeed. The original Ultra-Class Optimus Primal was an incredible toy for its time and doesn’t need to take a backseat to most of today’s toys, either. If you don’t have it, Walmart is currently reissuing the original figures, so go and get one.

So how does Kingdom Primal measure up? Well, he does the smart thing, really, in keeping all the good parts of the original. The only real changes are those that result from 25 years of advancements in toy design, meaning a more detailed sculpt and slightly better articulation. Compared to the Masterpiece version I’m fully comfortable calling Kingdom Primal a ‘Masterpiece-Light’. Considering the price difference between the two figures, you certainly get more per dollar here. So bottom line: an excellent figure with only very minor flaws. Fully recommended unless you are absolutely not a fan of Beast Wars.

Rating: A-

Source: Transformers-Universe.com

• Like Like x 4
  16. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I wasn't going to do this but since I had a lot of Birthday money this month and found both figures together, I couldn't resist picking up Primal and the odd reference to his original mace accessory in the form of Paleotrex. Now I would start a new thread and review these two together because to me they're a set, that's why I got them both together but there's already separate threads for each of them so I think I have to separate the reviews. I'll try not to repeat myself too much and keep the focus on the guy the thread is actually about... but I'm going to be making comparisons to the original Primal and his mace accessory at some point cause I do actually have that on hand. It's really hard for me not to see these guys as a set and I love of the idea of turning that weird accessory Primal had into an actual character. That's actually why I got these two together so forgive me if I end up repeating myself in these two threads.

Starting in robot mode because... that's how he's packaged and also how I had the original displayed on my shelf... also I should mention that I have the 10th Anniversary version so the head sculpt actually has the open mouth plate and no mutant face unlike the actual original. I'm not sure about color variation from the original release to the 10th anniversary reissue but mine is actually accurate to the cartoon as far as coloring goes. The Kingdom version has more blue paint apps which isn't accurate to Beast Wars but I actually don't mind the change cause I always thought he looked a little weird with the blue mostly confined to his helmet. This new version the red and blue is more spread out which personally I think looks a lot better.

Speaking of paint, his swords are actually painted where as the original are just molded in blue plastic. They've also slightly changed the shape of the swords so they look a little less awkward. They can still store on his back as well though now they're fully visible from the front while stored on his back. The original toy they stored with the handles facing down and the reason they had that shape in the first place is because they matched the curve of his back to be able to store back there.

I like how the shoulder cannons could be easily deployed or stored away on his back on the original toy. That's still technically possible with the Kingdom figure but it's a lot more work to do. His head has a bit more range of motion with the cannons out of the way. They don't really get in the way, it just kind of looks odd turning his head all the way to the side with a cannon right in front of his face. It just looks more natural not having the cannons there rather than an issue with parts colliding. I mean he technically has the same articulation either way but personal preference, I feel like the cannons blocking his face gets in the way of turning his head to the side.

The arm cannons are more accurate to how they actually looked in the show and he has them on both arms now. For some reason on my copy the right arm cannons came out a lot easier than the left. The left side feels a bit too tight. Of course the original only has left arm cannons cause the mace Paleotrex is based on was stored in the right arm.

You knew I was going to make this comparison at some point so... The original skull mace was on a string where as this one just has a long stick. All the same molding is present it's just a little smaller. Two of the spikes on the side of the head are missing because there's now a hinge there and there's two spikes in the back of the head that are also missing again because that skull face flips up to reveal a robot face. I tried to armor up Primal with the rest of Paleotrex except that Primal doesn't actually have any ports on his body to plug things in at. Aside from the obvious mace weapon you can also build an axe which Primal can hold. You can also combine the giant axe with the mace and beast head to make a giant skeleton sword which again Primal can hold. Primal can also hold the little shield... it's really meant to plug into the side of a character's arm to form a shield that way but again, Primal has no ports to be able to do that. I'm actually left with left over Paleotrex parts that I can't use cause there's no place on Primal to put them. His Kingdom concept art shows him wearing fossilizer armor which is kind of disappointing that he doesn't actually have the ports to be able to do that. The Kingdom artwork, the fact that Paleotrex is a homage to that accessory Primal originally came with all points to the idea that these two were intended to combine together but they didn't include any actual weaponizer/fossilizer ports on Primal to be able to do that. He can hold the weapons but that's it, you can armor him up the way he's shown in the artwork.

Aside from the head which I think is on a ball joint... it feels like a ball joint but it doesn't have that typical ball socket cut out in the back of his head. The shoulders mushroom beg in the torso for forward and back movement, hinge for outward movement. The shoulder pads are on that same hinge but at least on mine they aren't trying to move with the arms. I've heard some other people had issues with their shoulder pads moving down with the arms whenever they try to articulate them in robot mode. There's a bicep swivel just below the shoulder pads... I haven't actually transformed this guy yet so I'm wandering if that's going to lock into place for beast mode cause the robot detail on the upper arm needs to be covered by that shoulder pad. There's technically over 90 degrees of elbow bend but there's not a lot of filler, it's just a little block in there so you're not going to get far before you see a giant gap where the elbow is suppose to be. Wrist swivels, the fingers are all hinged together, they don't really need to be but they are. There's a waist swivel. Hips... look like ball joints but I can clearly see a pin in there so they're dual hinged just like the shoulders. There's a thigh swivel which I actually didn't even realize was there till I started moving the leg around. I really like the way the leg is molded to hide that joint but still allows it to be a working joint. The knees could technically be called double jointed though one joint is meant to be a transformation hinge, it's not suppose to be a part of the knee in this mode. However on my copy only the left knee actually stays pegged in and moves the way it's suppose to, the right knee comes unpegged and keeps wanting to move on that transformation hinge rather than the dedicated knee joint. You get a bit more range out of the knees if they're not pegged in and you use that transformation hinge but it doesn't make that much of a difference. The knees are already decently good on their own. I guess if you really want him to kick his own butt you can use that second hinge but otherwise it's not needed. There's a little bit of swivel below the knee in case that thigh swivel wasn't enough for you. His feet have forward and back, side to side, and due to the way they transform from beast mode this is one of the few transformers who can actually be placed in more natural walking poses.

TRANSFORMATION!!!

So a couple notes about the transformation... remember I mentioned how the shoulder cannons are a lot more work to store away on this version... well yeah... there's a kinda of scary part of the transformation you have to do in order to access where the cannons store away at. The instructions are no help at explaining the best way to access this compartment but you also need to do this to rotate his head from beast to robot and to rotate the chest plate around.

There's actually two beast mode configurations, these are both official in his instructions neither one is a fan mode. One is his crouching gorilla mode and the other is the more upright gorilla mode. The upright mode makes that weird panel he has look less like a front butt but exposes mode of his robot kibble in the back. The crouching mode hides most of his robot kibble but makes his legs look more awkard. This is going to change the articulation of his legs slightly depending on which way you have him but I'll get into that more later.

And the instructions don't say anything about what to do with his swords while he's in beast mode. You can still store them on his back or have him hold the swords but unlike the original toy they can't fit inside his body where they won't be visible on the beast mode.

The original figure is more fun to transform. This would be a nice update if I didn't feel like I was going to break him in half trying to get the torso open.

BEAST MODE!

I'm not a big fan of how Primal's beast mode looks. I mean from the waist up looks great but from the waist down no matter what configuration he's in it just looks awkward. I thought maybe he was mistranformed in photos and it wouldn't look so bad in person but no I still hate it. The molding is nice, all the fur details, the more realistic head sculpt, that part I like.

While I did like that he has more blue in robot mode, in beast mode, the blue feet don't blend to the back of his legs like the grey feet did on the original. They also don't even cover the pistons like the original did.

The head has THREE JOINTS... He can look up and down which is also helpful so he can still look forward regardless of which configuration you put him in. He can look side to side, you're not going to get a lot of movement out of this joint but it is there. And then there's a head tilt which can actually spin all the way around, this is also a transformation joint as the head is upside down when it stores for robot mode. The arms have all the same articulation they had in robot mode and this time the shoulder pads actually do move with the arm which is what you want for beast mode. I also didn't notice in robot mode there's a hinge that allows you to move the arms in or back a little bit which I think are more for this mode anyway as it allows for some more natural looking ape poses. The bicep swivels actually do not lock into place so you're going to expose his robot molding in some poses if you rotate that joint to where the shoulder pads longer cover those bits. The waist swivel is technically still usable in this mode though it's going to look pretty weird when his butt doesn't move with it.

Now we get to the weird part... If you have him standing up what were his knees I think are actually suppose to be the hips now. Which kind of makes me think of Hank's dad from King of the Hill. If you have him on all fours they don't really move much... and I think they're not really suppose to move at all but you can get a little bit of movement out of them if the robot knees aren't pegged in.

You still have a bit a swivel below the knees which I guess is a thigh swivel now in beast mode. The ankle articulation surprisingly hasn't changed from robot mode despite the feet being in a different configuration but the toes can only bend down not up.

Extra note: Having just transformed him back to robot mode, it's also more difficult to get his shoulder cannons back out, I had to use one of his swords to get them back out.

Between the scary transformation and the not so great looking beast mode he's probably going to stay in robot mode from now on. Also I don't know why that panel is even on his butt... not the one that lifts onto his back but the one that would be in the front in beast mode. You never need to lift that panel up for any reason, you can leave it down for the entire transformation both ways, that's where it lives in both modes... I guess it's just to give you more range with the legs bending backwards and it gives you access to a port if you want to put him on a flight stand if you have one but they could of just not had that panel there at all, avoided both those problems and it doesn't really help the beast mode any other than making him look like he has a front butt.

The robot mode is fantastic. I love the robot mode, but being a TRANSFORMER with two modes, I can't really recommend him on the robot mode alone. The transformation is terrifying, I feel like I'm going to break him, the beast mode looks awkward. The original is more fun to transform, and actually looks better in both modes. If you really want a modern update I think the masterpiece would probably be better. For everything this figure does right that I really like there's a lot more wrong. I want to like it but I just can't recommend it with the problems it has.

I can forgive him not really working well with Paleotrex but feeling like I might break the figure in half just trying to transform the thing is unforgivable. The only way I can really recommend him is if you're going to leave him in robot mode displayed on a shelf some where cause he looks fantastic in robot mode, he's well articulated and can hold pretty much any pose you want to put him in, even while holding Paletrex's giant weapons, so he's great for posing on a shelf but not much else.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  17. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Sock Monkey!
    DSCN5730.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  18. cybeast

cybeast Not Spinister, But Punster

Mine just arrived today!

Is there any "safe" point for holding and pulling the chest? It feels kinda flimsy and I'm scared of it breaking...

19. HAL237

HAL237 Star Saber Backer #1

News Credits:
    I guess I’m one of the few that has no issues with detaching the back assembly? It’s pretty stiff at first, but since the whole figure is so solidly built, I’m not worried of it breaking anytime soon.

20. unlogic

unlogic Highly Unlogical

Hi guys. I got my Primal yesterday.

I just wondering if there is no way to properly lock the chest plate (after we flip over the monkey chest) in robot mode? Maybe only my copy?