WFC Kingdom Voyager Dinobot

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Actar, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WhatsApp Image 2021-01-26 at 6.56.52 PM.jpeg

Today, we have a very, very unexpected surprise as I managed to get my hands on Kingdom Dinobot from one of my local toy stores. Dinobot is one of my absolute favorite characters from all of Transformers history and to be able to do a review of him this early is beyond an honor.

01.jpg 03.jpg

Starting with beast mode, right off the bat, comparing him with the original Dinobot figure, you can see just how big he scales in comparison. I think that you can also see just how much effort went into the sculpt and proportions of this guy. Once again, just like the rest of the figures in the line, Dinobot has a far more detailed and realistic beast mode. Personally, while I'm all for show accuracy, I understand that this is not the Dinobot from the original 1990s cartoon. In fact, the realistic beast mode is precisely what differentiates him from the Masterpiece figure and makes him unique. They even managed to get his dino legs really close up into the body unlike either the original figure or the MP. While he's still a bit chunky, he'll have a much easier time fitting into, say, a Jurassic Park figure collection than the other Dinobots.

02 (2).jpg 20210129_030242.jpg

However, it's precisely because it's a more realistic beast mode that the imperfections stand out all the more. Addressing some of the complaints that I've read online, yes, he is missing his front teeth, his tail looks slightly... er, phallic(?) thanks to the purple sword tip, and most egregiously, he has golden boobs (a.k.a. the robot mode hip joints) poking out from the front of his chest. Unlike with BlackArachnia, there is no way these can be construed for a pair of mandibles or anything.

1606845819-wfc-kingdom-dinobot-09.jpg

Now, the issues with the boobs and tail could have been very, very easily avoided with a simple dash of paint or a change of the plastic colors. The reason I am so certain of this is because the prototype figure on the back of the packaging has silver hip joints and a silver sword with a brown tip. I have absolutely no idea why they changed the colors at the last minute because the beast mode ends up really compromised because of it.

20210129_030210.jpg

On the topic of color, there's actually quite a bit of paint in dino mode, but I really don't understand what the point of it is as the stripes are extremely faint and only appear in very bright light. Not to mention, the budget for all this paint could have gone into the bot mode, which as we will see later, is sorely lacking.

02.jpg 20210129_030255.jpg

A couple of other bits of kibble include the bot mode chest panels on the back of the legs, with the eye looking disconcertingly like a sore of some kind, the underside of the figure and the bot mode feet. While most of it is unavoidable, I wish they gave his bot mode feet swivel joints to allow them to match the contour of the tail by rotating 180 degrees.

20210128_204853.jpg

One of the final complains when it comes to the beast mode are the hands. Yes, they do look quite ridiculous. They're too big and flat and are molded at a right angle. I understand why they needed to be flat, as they stow away into the bot mode's side, still feel they're too big. In fact, even the robot mode could have benefited from them being slightly smaller as they currently stick out from the sides.

Moving on to articulation, it's just like the MP figure, but worse. The head can't even move side to side and the legs, while rather articulated as they turn into the bot mode arms, can't make use of any of the joints as they're locked in place by the thigh pieces. Thankfully, the openable jaw does provide some much-needed variety and expression.

Despite the numerous flaws, overall, I think they did a rather decent job, especially when you take into consideration what he turns into.

06.jpg 07.jpg 09.jpg

The transformation is fun, simple and ingenious. It really does turn inside-out and pays great homage to the Masterpiece's transformation.

08.jpg

One cool little Easter Egg that I found is that they made this swingbar resemble his spine, even though you can't see it in robot mode. There's even additional rib detailing in the back.​

10.jpg

In robot mode, he's undeniably Dinobot, which is far more than I can say for most of the figures of him released in the past. Before I get into some of the negatives, I'd just like to remind you guys of how much of an achievement this figure is. We finally have a mainline Dinobot that actually looks like him! A design that was once the sole claim to fame of the Masterpiece figure is now far more affordable and readily available. But ironically enough, that's also to the figure's detriment because of the expectations it creates.

11.jpg 12.jpg 20210126_223711.jpg

While we do have all the trappings of a classic Dinobot design including his amazingly sculpted head, broad dinosaur head chest that is rather ingeniously formed from the actual dinosaur head and some extra panels, the gold shoulders and well, pretty much the entire lower half of the figure, it's just not as well-proportioned or as seamless as I think it could have been. Most egregiously, the shoulders are too small, the arms are way too long and skinny and the hands are way too big. There is also quite a noticeable gap and disconnect between the dino head and chest panels, with the grooves and lines not matching up and he does have a rather unsightly backpack (which you can at least still store the weapon on). And as mentioned, his dino arms are clearly sticking out from his sides.

Perhaps a rather controversial opinion, but being a completely original reinterpretation of the character, here is where I think they could have compromised a little bit more on the show-accuracy to have given us a more cohesive-looking figure. In my opinion, as-is, it's neither here nor there.

Aside from the proportions, a lack of paint would be the number one gripe that most people will have with this figure. Because they decided to emulate the original CG model that was simply slathered in a myriad of colors, he ends up looking extremely plain with his unpainted arms and legs. Looking at the back of the box once again, they even axed the paint that was supposed to go onto the sides of his chest.

20210127_213253.jpg 20210128_001535.jpg 20210128_020116.jpg
    20210128_010750.jpg 20210128_011928.jpg

Articulation is where the figure truly shines as he is simply riddled with joints. But all that articulation would be wasted if he didn't have some cool accessories. Of course, he does have his sword and shield, or rotating blade, whatever you want to call it. Putting aside the questionable color choice for the sword and the lack of a free spinning gimmick for the shield, they do complement the figure very nicely.

15.5.jpg

Now, as a bonus piece of information, the Unicron.com third party die-cast Golden Disks actually scale perfectly with him and with his articulation, he's more than capable of grabbing onto them while waxing poetic about the meaning of life.

14.jpg

Last but not least, here's how he scales with Kingdom Primal. While not accurate to the scale of the original cartoon, it's nice that they at least made Dinobot bigger than Primal.

18.jpg 17.jpg

In conclusion, I personally really love Kindgom Dinobot, but more for what it represents - an honest to goodness transforming mainline Dinobot figure that manages to capture the essence of the rather disparate two modes with a fun and ingenious transformation. Honestly, while the figure is neither her nor there, looking at it glass half full, it's accurate enough for it to suffice as a stand-in for the original Dinobot and is different enough so that fans who already own the Masterpiece figure, like myself, could still pick this figure up and enjoy it on its own merits.

- Beast Mode
    Design:★★★☆☆
    Kibble:★★☆☆☆
    Paint:★★★☆☆
    Poseability:★★☆☆☆

- Robot Mode
    Design:★★★★☆
    Kibble:★★★★☆
    Paint:★★☆☆☆
    Poseability:★★★★★

- Shared
    Build Quality:★★★★★
    Transformation:★★★★★
    Accessories:★★★★☆

20210128_004750.jpg
    A kick-ass figure, to be sure!​

• Like Like x 44
  2. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    I'm so excited for this guy. A lot of the faults listed don't really bug me; like, the dino mode hands are a little weird, but I'm sure it's nothing actually messing with the figure couldn't solve. I love how they handled the dino head flattening in robot mode.

I also never noticed the sword's colors in those promo shots? I'm glad they didn't end up doing that, because it looks... well, bad.

3. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Super phallic tail, flipper raptor hands and limited palette aside, Dinobot looks fantastic and I can't wait to get him. Thank you for the in-depth review, Actar. I find myself especially impressed with the level of articulation you can get out of his robot mode. It opens up all kinds of expressiveness you can feasibly get out of him, and would make him an ideal pick for anyone making a photo comic or stop motion animation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

i've been wondering how it would look, if it's not to much to ask could you take of the dino mode with the legs bent forward instead of back

5. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Want my Dinobot now!

6. Starscream0625

Starscream0625 We are Thunderwing

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review! Dinobot looks fantastic overall, especially with that articulation. As a $30 retail release, he does the job well. Goodness me, though, did the designers make some strange choices. The limp-wrist hands, robot hips in raptor mode, and the purple/violet sword are downright head-scratchers.

7. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    20210129_070944.jpg

Like this? Only thing is that he can't lean any further back as the center of gravity is too far forward.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Theblueblurr

Theblueblurr Active Member

Holy Masterpiece paint chipping, Batman!

But seriously, thank you for uploading the video review to YouTube. In your video review, you mentioned paint chipping on the voyager similar to the issues on Optimus Primal. If it's not too much trouble, could you please let us know what some potential problem areas are that you've experienced through transformation/posing? -and maybe what areas to watch out for with clearance issues? I think myself and many others would appreciate knowing in advance so we don't end up having to pick up multiple copies to satisfy our obsessive-compulsive tendencies, hah!

Pictures would be stellar but if you can't or don't have the means to share them, that's fine, too! Thanks in advance!

9. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's got eyes on the back of his thighs!

10. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    What I don't get, is if all the other beasts have solid colored "beast" or kind of rage-type eyes, including Megatron,
    then why tf did they give only Dinobot derpy painted in pupils?

When I get mine, he'll be staying in Bot mode, that beast mode literally looks like it just walked off a Rankin Bass puppet set...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, yeah! Thanks for reminding me. Pulling the legs back too much will cause them to rub against the dino chest, rubbing away the orange paint. This happens only on the back, so not as bad as with Primal.
    20210129_171259.jpg

That's an easy one, because Cheetor, Megatron, etc... have their beast heads in their bot modes, where as Primal and Dinobot don't.

• Like Like x 3
  12. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    Ah, hm, well, you've got a good point. And I know they have derpy eyes in the original show, too, I just wish they would be consistent.
    I kind of prefer the no pupils look--looks much more savage tbh--so I would have preferred Dinobot maybe have goldish silver eyes or just plain whitish eyes...

13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh, even the original Dinobot toy, in contrast to most of the other original Beast Wars toys, had painted pupils (although improperly side-oriented, rather than located for binocular vision).

14. Spicytron

Spicytron Well-Known Member

I don't know man, I have to 100% disagree about the tail. I don't think it looks phallic at all, if anything it just looks like the last tail vertebrae is exposed for whatever reason. I agree that the hip joint could have been hidden a little better, but it's possible they weren't able to do that without either a. Painting the hit joints a different color or b. Including more panels than they originally wanted to.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    so can he hold a giant gun and get some ammo belts?

How does he fit on Transmetal Rattrap?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

I can't wait to get this guy. I'm really digging the BW Kingdom figures.

17. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Damn, I wish I hadn't read that. It's...it's true, and it can't be unseen. He really does look like he should be asking a young Kris Kringle to rescue him from the Island of Misfit Toys. Not that it's a bad toy, quite the opposite in fact, but that dino face just has that sort of expressiveness, and not the ravenous look of something that would devour a non-transforming clone of itself.

Still buying it when I see it.

18. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Any chance of a picture of Dinobot with Beast Wars Megatron if you have?

19. Omega Magnus

Omega Magnus Can’t deal with that right now

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I’m assuming he is less referring to it being shaped like a dong, and more that it looks like a purple dog boner :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  20. Spicytron

Spicytron Well-Known Member

Even then it's a bit of a stretch. I don't think it looks like that anymore than the original DB did.