WFC Kingdom Voyager-class Maximal Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by YellowCorvette, Jul 7, 2021.

1. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Gundam & Micron Densetsu Enthusiast

News Credits:
    As one of the Kingdom "Battle Across Time Collection" Amazon exclusive sets, the WFC-K40 Autobot Mirage & Maximal Grimlock 2-pack includes a figure of BW Maximal Grimlock (which was a redeco of Kingdom Dinobot with a new head) and an Earth-mode Mirage figure (Which was a heavy retool of Siege Mirage to accommodate the new Earth-mode F1 racecar look).

IMG_20210707_204917.jpg

For this thread, the focus will be on Kingdom Maximal Grimlock, the somewhat... more controversial figure of the set, depending on your POV.

Robot Mode

IMG_20210707_212349.jpg

As a redeco of Kingdom Dinobot that homages the Beast Wars Grimlock toy, this figure function-wise is identical to Dinobot (And also inherits all of Kingdom Dinobot's pros and cons)

Deco-wise, it's hard to deny that the colors of this figure... aren't really for everyone; And the lack of the black spots seen on the original BW toy isn't ideal, making this deco seem plainer than it actually was in person.

It's an okay-looking color scheme, on its own merit but could be disappointing for anyone who wants a full-on accurate homage to the old BW Grimlock toy.

IMG_20210707_214726.jpg

Aside from the deco, another standout difference that differentiates this figure from Dinobot is the head-sculpt, with an aesthetic reminiscent of the original BW Dinobot toy's face-plated head. The eyes are painted in a nice shade of green color, but the eyes are so deeply buried within the head that it's almost impossible to see them in pictures.

QC-wise, my BW Grimlock's joints do feel smoother to play with than my Dinobot, and he poses remarkably well with various joints making this figure pose just as well as Dinobot.

Just like Kingdom Dinobot, Kingdom Maximal Grimlock comes with the same loadout of "spinning" rotor tail shield and sword. These aren't the most dynamic weapons around, but they do complement this figure quite well.

IMG_20210707_215730.jpg
    IMG_20210707_215613.jpg

Comparison with (My slightly customized/painted) Kingdom Dinobot:

IMG_20210707_215832.jpg

When standing next to Kingdom Dinobot, the deco differences are quite apparent; With some deco differences that are better for the overall figure, but also manages to look plainer in some areas.

Velociraptor Mode

IMG_20210707_215944.jpg

Just like most of the BW figures in Kingdom, Grimlock here features a more detailed and realistic take on its beast mode (Rather than the smooth, primitive CGI-looking beast modes seen in the BW cartoon).

When looking at this Velociraptor mode, it's obvious that this is the weaker mode of the two, with various compromises been made to allow the robot mode to be as good as it was while also manages to have a smooth, intuitive transformation.

IMG_20210708_095237.jpg

At the same time, some of the deco changes allow this flawed velociraptor mode to look better when compared to Dinobot's beast mode; Instead of Dinobot's purple sword tip sticks out uglily when stored in the beast mode's tail, Grimlock's all-white sword actually blends in with the colors of the beast mode. The plastic color changes of the "Boobs/hip joints" to white also make these kibbles look less obvious than on Dinobot.

Conclusion

Depending on your preferences, this may be either the most or least interesting figure in this 2-pack. While this figure may not be for everyone, Kingdom Maximal Grimlock is still a good figure on its own merit and a serviceable homage to the old BW Grimlock toy.

IMG_20210707_220020.jpg

This figure so far, is only available as part of an exclusive 2-pack which isn't ideal; Wherever or not it's worth double-dipping on this mold or getting this 2-pack just for this figure, that's something only you can decide on your own.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 17
  2. Liminality

Liminality Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review!
    I initially ordered the pack for Mirage and was on the fence about Grimlock but it looks different enough from Dinobot which I’m happy with.
    Can’t wait for it to arrive.

3. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Of course one huge positive going for this one is NO GPS unlike the original version

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    My plentiful issues with the mold and deco aside, that head sculpt truly is gorgeous. Dinobot has an all-timer head sculpt too but this one is just as nice.

• Like Like x 4
  5. RollerBladeZ

RollerBladeZ Well-Known Member

I think I finally realized what bugged me about Grimlock. He has the green eyes in beast mode, but in robot mode, the eyes on the faux chest part are still white and not green.

When I get him in I think I'll add that and maybe paint up the details on the leg silver to make it more visually interesting (in the same spots that adding gold to Dinobot makes him look 10x better)

6. YellowCorvette

News Credits:
    Yeah; Just like Kingdom Dinobot before him, there’s a potentially great figure to be made with Kingdom BW Grimlock... but it would require some painting to have an ideal look.

7. Dinocon93

Dinocon93 Dinobot Warrior

That white plastic isn’t going to age well. Does it look better in person cause all the photos looks like it’s fading right out the box. They could’ve done without the grey colors.

Hoping this a Deep cover situation with a toy-accurate version for another release like Select Series.

8. YellowCorvette

News Credits:
    The white color used on BW Grimlock does have a bit of yellow-ish tone mixed in (a similar white used on the standard Earthrise Wheeljack) but it still looks good in person.

• Like Like x 2
  9. wazzzzzpinator

wazzzzzpinator Well-Known Member

Yeah I feel like I'm in the minority about this, but I ordered this set specifically for Grimlock rather than Mirage. I mean, I want the mirage too because i don't have any version of the G1 character except the Netflix one, but BW Grimlock and (fox kids) Dinobot were my favorite figures as a kid. I have most of my old dinobot, the only toy to survive my childhood (and given a bunch of other parts that fit the missing joints, so he has a pegleg and two 07 movie brawl cannons attacked to his ass plate, which broke off and is now a handheld weapon), but i assume my old grimlock has long since crumbled to little bits of golden dust, and am stoked to get this new version. It looks a bit different, but it doesn't bother me all that much. I think literally the only things about it that bug me are the two-toned robot knees and feet, but beyond that, I was sold the second it went on preorder.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would you be up for parting with Mirage (once it arrives)? I have no interest in Grimlock.

11. wazzzzzpinator

wazzzzzpinator Well-Known Member

No, sorry, I do still want the mirage because I don't have any other G1 mirage and this one looks good, I'm just saying my main reason for getting the set is Grimlock

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  12. Wars

Wars I Ate The WHOLE Plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've definitely come to like Grimlock's deco the more I see of it, and while I wouldn't mind getting my hands on this figure, I just can't bring myself to spend €75+ on a voyager and deluxe set, especially when I have no real interest in Mirage

13. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    I bought this set weeks ago, just for Grimlock.

Actually took Mirage out of the box, transformed him to alt mode and then stuck him in a storage tub.

Overall, I'm loving Grimmy. All the same derpy dino & rad robot features as Dinobot.

The colour scheme is pretty crap - I've added the faux eye colour & removed the pupils from the dino-head eyes (since one had smudged paint), but otherwise it's nice to have a version of the character that doesn't fall apart with GPS.

Still in two minds now whether to add more black spots & put some black on the faux chest halves?

piZap_1628445444621.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Yoshimon7

Yoshimon7 Potion Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    8CEF2B8C-FE7F-4884-BD5D-670A62792012.jpeg E7C6D242-C1A7-4693-9081-0534D125BB0F.jpeg 9C550A54-2A94-4394-85D1-28CEBDCB6F4B.jpeg
    Added some paint apps to kingdom Grimlock. A pretty fun figure

• Like Like x 4
  15. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
    Stumbled across this toy raptor that looks to have a similar deco (some early product shots of Grimlock also have some red on his head like this)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got my set today. Still mixed on Mirage (though I did find the transformation more enjoyable than the Siege version, for some reason I can't explain), but love Grimlock. Sure, the colors aren't ideal, but the Dinobot design still looks so damn cool in white. I like the touch of red, and the headsculpt is phenomenal. Now if only I was good at actually transforming this mold...

I'm also pretty cool with the fake chest eyes not being painted. That's a necessary conceit on Dinobot, but having two glowing green spots on Grimlock's dino flanks would have looked really off.

17. Nemesis Scourge

Nemesis Scourge Unicron's finest

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I really did not like the colours on him when he was announced, but now that I have him in hand he is starting to grow on me. Still gonna do a custom with him though, currently thinking about two ideas.

18. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Gotta say the paint on this version is almost better than Dinobot. Very tight joints and the mold shows no issues.
    I'll leave the rest of judgment to the pictures.
    20210919_024247.jpg 20210919_013211.jpg 20210919_184543.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Racer_J

Racer_J Well-Known Member

My copy arrived earlier today.

BATC Grimlock looks far better in person than I expected it to and, it wears this mold vastly better than KBW Dinobot due to the colour swatches/palette (I wish the bronze was dark grey but at least the bronze is really dark; yes I know why it's bronze).

I'm not going to rehash my KBW Dinobot review (not a fan) but, I do have QC issues. The right robot thigh swivel (your left if looking face to face) barely works on my copy of BATC Grimlock (the other thigh swivel is far tighter than it needs to be just like my KBW Dinobot) and the left beast mode thigh cover (your right if looking face to face) that clips together doesn't want to stay clipped together very well (the opposite beast mode thigh cover did this on my Dinobot).

I didn't have any choice but to purchase it because, it was the only way to get Earthrise Mirage (which turned out to be phenomenal). I'm undecided on what to do about BATC Grimlock but, I'll get rid of KBW Dinobot before I get rid of BATC Grimlock (and that's only because the colour swatches/palette masks so much, especially in beast mode).

20. Bakarina

Bakarina Well-Known Member

Got mine. His tolerances are a lot better than my Dinobot's. I didn't really believe the rule about no two manufactured items truly being 100% alike until I got into Transformers.

• Like Like x 1