WFC Kingdom Leader Megatron (Beast)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Aigis, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Got him today, very nice figure.
    20201229_115701.jpg
    T.rex mode looks great.
    20201229_124622.jpg
    Transforming him to T.rex mode was a little difficult and I can't get all the panels to stay together, the belly keeps popping apart.
    bwpredacons.jpg
    Very show accurate robot mode, great articulation.

The colors are a lot darker than I was expecting.

• Like Like x 32
  2. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I really worry about this thing being a timebomb with all the soft plastic. Wish they’d just use proper plastic instead.

TR Mindwipe and Weirdwolf both paid a heavy price for the use of soft plastic and I’d hate to see every copy of this figure have an expiration date because of a short-sighted engineering choice.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Aigis

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The soft plastic on Megatron feels unlike any soft plastic I've seen on Transformers before, it's much more solid than I expected. Reminds me of the old Kenner Jurassic Park toys.
    20201229_162413.jpg

• Like Like x 19
  4. Furnace

Furnace Antroid at a picnic

Is it possible to detach the tail from the arm without modification?

5. Aigis

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Nope.

6. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How is it attached?

7. Aigis

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Looks like its pinned through the wrist?
    20201229_193826.jpg
    20201229_194023.jpg
    And somehow attached to the side of the arm

• Like Like x 8
  8. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Pins! Flat head, one way, you name 'em!
    pinhead.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  9. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  10. ziltama

News Credits:
    Here's something more in-depth:

Posable purple dino is cool. Custom blast effect used.
    meg02.jpg

Beast Megatron is the newest Leader class figure and deserving of that class designation. He's quite a bit bigger in alt mode than robot mode. We're admittedly not fans of Beast Wars but couldn't pass this guy up. Purchased from Gamestop.com.

Custom blast effect used.
    meg07.jpg

Positives: Excellent excellent excellent paint apps and deco. Great posing potential, even in alt mode. Looks great in bot and alt modes. He has a good size for the new Leader class standard.

Negatives: NO accessories. There are issues with how the tail panels fold (see below). The dino belly panels don't fit as tight as they should. There's quite a bit of backpack shellforming kibble. The tail is not removable. The position of the blast effects port in dino mouth prevents wide effects from being used. Hollow plastic in bot arms and thighs.

???: Some people may not like the extensive use of rubbery plastic, although it is a necessity for a figure like this. We don't think it's a negative but some others may.

Posing: Head is on a ball joint although vertical movement is limited. The right shoulder assembly has 360 vertical rotation, limited horizontal movement, and outward extension. The left shoulder assembly is similar but doesn't have the limited horizontal movement. There are bicep swivels. The right elbow is attached to the dino neck and is a standard elbow hinge. The dino head and jaw move independently and are attached as hinges to the dino neck. Depending on the head and jaw positions, opening the jaw may move the head. Left elbow is a standard hinge. Left hand does not rotate, however, the hand is on an upwards hinge (see below). The thin part of the tail claw is on a simple hinge. The larger tail piece has horizontal movement and 360 degree rotation.

The hand has a hinge as shown. This does allow weapons plugged into the hand to clear the tail.
    meg13.jpg

Has full 360 degree waist rotation. Hips are on combination hinge and mushroom swivel. Hips are able to bend full 90 degrees. Doing the splits is possible but only if the alt mode hip kibble is rotated down. Knees are on hinges and mushroom pegs for sideways rotation. Has decent ankle tilts in addition to forward and backwards ankle movements.

In alt mode, the various joints allow for pretty good head movements, leg posing, and horizontal tail movement. The dino arms are on ball joints.

Tail panel problem in Bot Mode:
    There is an issue with the tail panels. If the panels are not aligned correctly, they will not fold up correctly and result in stress marks like this...and even potential breakage if too much force is applied. Near the right end of the blue oval, one can see a hinge panel that's partially in compared to the rest of it, which is out. The whole smaller panel should be in.
    meg01.jpg

This picture shows the ideal position of the tail panels. The bottom yellow/purple piece should be overlapping the smaller purple rectangle piece.
    met16.jpg

If the smaller purple rectangle piece overlaps the yellow/purple piece instead, then the panels can't fold up properly for bot mode. Forcing it may cause stress marks and one of the panels to break.
    meg15.jpg

The easiest way I found to fix this is to lift up the yellow/purple rubber layer and then rotate the smaller rectangular panel under it. You don't need to use needle nose pliers, but used here to better show how to lift up just the rubber layer.

Lift up rubber layer and then rotate edge of small panel under it. Edit: May use fingernails or a Lego spudger.
    meg06.jpg

Alt mode:
    The belly panels don't like to come together flush.
    meg03.jpg

Side view. He can stand fairly tall in this mode.
    meg04.jpg

Alt mode comparison: We don't have other Beast Megatron toys. However, we do have Grimlock figures.

MP-8 Grimlock, Beast Megatron, POTP Grimlock
    meg05.jpg

Bot mode:
    Front view. Great looking deco. Tail does not separate from arm and has inaccessible pinning.
    meg08.jpg

Back view: The kibble management is not great.
    meg10.jpg

Side view:
    meg11.jpg
    Bot mode comparisons:
    POTP Grimlock, Beast Megatron, MP-8 Grimlock
    meg12.jpg

Earthrise Optimus Prime, Kingdom Cyclonus, Netflix Ultra Magnus, Beast Megatron, Earthrise Doubledealer, POTP Optimus Prime. Beast Megatron, although shorter than POTP OP, weighs the same as POTP OP.
    meg14.jpg

Conclusion:
    Despite some nuisances, especially with the tail panels and lack of accessories, still strongly recommend Beast Megatron. Great figure. Kid likes him a lot already. Just be aware that there will be a lot of rubbery plastic parts and the tail does not separate.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 29
  11. Furnace

Furnace Antroid at a picnic

Ah, I see. Thanks for the response and the info! While the unremovable tail is a bit of a bummer, it isn’t a deal breaker, given how solid the toy seems to be on the whole.

12. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    Got mine from Gamestop yesterday and yeah those rubber parts really cause a lot of issues on those tail hinges. I had problems there almost immediately. Really hope these rubber parts dont start melting the plastic in 10 years like ROTF Bludgeon.

• Like Like x 5
  13. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is the robot mode head just glued together? I've already had 2 deluxe class figures (Exhaust being one of them) where the front face plate just broke off. And I'm also worried about them striking pins through the waist where screws should go. I just don't see those holding up over time.

14. ziltama

News Credits:
    It's the standard "two halves glued together" head. I haven't had a glued head fall apart on any figure yet. I don't have Wheejack mold, though, so I don't know about forces on his head.

Flathead pins are holding the pelvis together and the crotch/leg hinges. Flathead pins have ridges in them, so they're not moving or going anywhere. I have found flathead pins to be quite stable...which is a problem for modders.

At least from external view, the entire figure is pinned except for 2 screws holding the chest together. The rubbery plastic appears to be held in place through mushroom connectors. I am not going to undo those to look for any other connectors / fasteners.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    Found one today. The robot waist clip and the hip clip for Dino mode we’re scary tight on mine. I seriously question the longevity of this “rubber” like skin. I suspect it won’t age well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TickTockGoesTheClock

TickTockGoesTheClock Dōmo arigatō, Mr Roboto.

News Credits:
    Figured I'd put it here. We've had multiple (Mostly Credible) sources report that hasbro has specifically and purposely changed the components of their soft material for Kingdom to specifically prevent the melting issues from previous figures.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Not that I’m doubting you, do you have a link to those?

18. TickTockGoesTheClock

TickTockGoesTheClock Dōmo arigatō, Mr Roboto.

News Credits:
    I don't as the threads they were in have gotten big. Sorry. I believe it was both Apollux and Pixelmaster who said this with Wreckgar39 confirming and maybe a few others (Catz?).

19. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    if these don't crumble in 10 years then good on them for changing the formula, but nobody can be sure about anything before the test of time sets in. considering siege effects started melting in just over a year, i'm not optimistic.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I almost picked this figure but some of my buddies had some issues - as in some of the tabs aren’t tabbing in well.

Its not dino mode (belly) but the waist/ groin area. They also had loose legs (in bot mode).