WFC Kingdom Core Class Rattrap

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by computron179, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Rif Raf
    Street Rat.
    Street Rat.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  2. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

This figure gets alot right and the same time has alot of things that irk me. 5 out of 10 to me.

3. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Ebay:
    Rattrap got shrunk! This wasn't a figure I expected to like or even buy, but I did both, and it was a challenge to do either.

Beast mode pluses:
    • + life-sized small rat
    • + painted snout, nose, eyes, ears, feet
    • + good hairy sculpting
    • + weapon storage
    Beast mode minuses:
    • - a lot of panel lines and hinge pins showing
    • - rear legs aren't really locked into place, just held by friction and easy to dislodge while handling
    • - huge disgusting heelspurs that are anatomically incorrect
    • - more like "brick mode" as there's no useful articulation
    • - robot kibble fists in the back look like testes, as do robot knees behind them as well
    • - underside has robot face showing
    • - weapon storage is clumsily on the hip, despite spot underneath that would have been a perfect fit (but also would have looked like a huge phallus)
    Beast mode has a lot more minuses than pluses, yet there's enough charm that it almost gets away with it, some will agree while others will not, and both are understandable points of view.

Transformation thoughts:
    • there's a lot more going on than expected for a cheaper figure
    • going from beast to robot mode is quite interesting
    • going from robot to beast is finicky because there's parts that need to tab into place in a specific order but come out when the next parts come together
    • robot-to-beast becomes a lot easier when you think of it as a game of re-tabbing parts at the end of the transformation, the little arms are hard to get to stay down, but the legs are easy so do them last
    Robot mode pluses:
    • + pretty good sculpt accuracy, for the most part
    • + decent deco with more paint than expected in a smaller figure, even tiny forearm Maximal sigils printed on
    • + head likeness is solid, right down to the 2 tiny fang teeth, lots of personality here
    • + integrated backpack weapon storage does its job
    • + good range of motion with articulation at head, shoulders, elbows, hips, knees, and feet
    • + proportions get away with murder, for a big backpack it doesn't feel too big
    • + very stable to pose
    • + 3mm weapon grip means fists can stay in scale better than if they had to go to 5mm holes
    • + rifle tip works with blast effects
    Robot mode minuses:
    • - 25 years later and we're right back to ball jointed everything
    • - considerably shorter than scale to other Kingdom BW characters
    • - shoulder panels don't tab in so they move out of position every single time he's being poses, and it seems like it wouldn't have been an issue to have them click in on the outer edge, the designers just... didn't bother (or it failed testing and was dropped, but we don't know that)
    • - similarly, the lower leg halves don't lock together leading to dislodging, it's not as bad as the shoulders as the lower leg becomes a double-jointed knee, but it works against the sculpted detail
    • - shoulder joints are annoyingly jointed from the back instead of sides, so posing requires a little planning ahead of time
    • - disgusting pink giant rat feet in robot mode
    • - disgusting pink giant rat feet are assembled backwards, with the huge heelspur on the outer edge (this is easily fixed by popping the lower legs off the knees and swapping them, they appear to be universal parts)
    • - torso doesn't have gold paint flanking the rat head chest
    • - bot mode colors are more caramel and gray plastic than gold and silver, not a hint of shiny metal outside the forearms and brain silver paint
    • - back side panels can hinge back easily, leading to the shoulders attached to those panels floating away from the torso (but if you don't mind the floating, this adds a butterfly-backwards articulation)
    • - backpack has pink rat feet sticking straight up
    • - some hollowness in the limbs
    Robot mode's +- ratio goes down even worse than beast mode, yet even moreso this mode is saved by its personality and charm. There's plenty for someone who doesn't like this figure to dislike, yet there's somehow enough for someone who does like it to like it a lot.

Overall, Rattrap is going to be a polarizing toy and I understand both perspectives, but I somehow fall on the side of liking this figure. He's a little guy made even smaller, and it kind of works. There's some fun engineering for transformation even though there's several elements that feel a touch underbaked. It's obvious there's a lot of love for the character which came through in the finished product.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

... I think I'm going to pass on this and pay twice the price for the older version.

Even though it's wildly inaccurate and just a shellformer, it just is more pleasing to me due to a combination of nostalgia and how much I completely hate the pink rat feet in robot mode. I just... like the original better. I wish I wanted this more but I think I'm going to bite the bullet.

... that said, I won't see either of them so it's probably a moot point.

5. Smokie

Smokie Banned

News Credits:
    We need a deluxe rat trap!!! Hasbro stop oppressing! Hasbro is unfair! Deluxe rattrap is in there!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Traffic Cone

Traffic Cone TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    It's a shame this had to be core class because the sculpt and transformation are pretty great for its size, and a deluxe price point would have really helped make it perfect. They could've gone a similar route as CliffJumper and made it a small deluxe with better engineering, paint, and accessories. Increase the size to around the original figure's robot height, add some more tabs for areas like the shoulders and shins, ball joint for the head, add some gold paint, replace the 3mm ports with 5mm ports, and maybe add a little bomb accessory, and you have pretty much the perfect version of this character. Maybe a 3rd party will step in with an improved and upscaled KO?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cicadacon

Cicadacon Banned

Rejoice! Rattrap is now perfectly in scale to my new Rattrap-Scale. Unfortunately, only AOE figures scale with him.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nemesis Scourge

Nemesis Scourge Unicron's finest

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    He is my first Core Class figures from Kingdom. And he is just sheer awesome! I was really not expecting to be blown away by him!

I ordered a second one so I can carry one around with me or take him to work.

Or I dye my hair red, paint freckles into my face, wear an ugly sweater with the letter R on it and put him into my pocket - BAM! - Ronald Weasley cosplay!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cerberus

Cerberus Shockwave loyalist

News Credits:
    I noticed that the paws are actually grey plastic under the flesh paint, so i gently rubbed off the paint on the claw, its not much but it does add a bit of details on those parts.
    I think i'll try to paint the tail too if i manage to recreate the same color FB_IMG_1624885137670.jpg FB_IMG_1624885128687.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  10. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

After some deliberation on whether to get the BW guys, I finally decided to take a dive here. I was a big fan of the Prime Wars Legends class so it was cool to see something similar come back but I don't think I can really say this lives up to their standards. He's still really good for the price.

- Forget every time the right way to move the shoulders. They make certain poses look pretty weird.
    - I think the paint could have been better done. Tail should have been pink.
    - Only real pose you can do in rat mode is scurrying. That might be better than being able to stand up honestly. The way he stood and moved in the old cartoon was really uncanny.
    - Wish there was a 5mm peg above the 3mm one like other Core toys so other bots could hold it.
    - Will say, at least it has a weapon. Almost every Legends had to rely on fisticuffs even if they were somebody like Tailgate. Rattrap really did need this gun given he's a "master marksman."
    - Ankle movement is a big plus.
    - Transformation is a little weird but once you get the feel of it, it's pretty cool. It's way more sophisticated than one would expect for this size yet also isn't a pain like the T30.
    - Lithe proportions look more appealing than T30's too.

After this, I do think that he maybe should have been a small Deluxe like Cliffjumper to really help get that extra bump up but I won't complain about getting a serviceable toy of a character for $11. 6/10.

Now if only they'd make a Packrat already.

• Like Like x 2
  11. loof

loof hungry AND thirsty for plastic

I get the size complaints, but it absolutely does not matter to me. This guy may not be right, but he feels right. This guy captures my mental image of the character impeccably well, and I love him for it. Plus, he is a fascinating, satisfying, and complex toy at his size.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Zer0Prime

Zer0Prime Well-Known Member

The T30 Rattrap is awesome!! I have him next to my monitor right now.

13. Cerberus

Cerberus Shockwave loyalist

News Credits:
    Just painted the tail and added a bit of white on the rat fangs to make them more defined, but the weapon storage bother me a lot, any idea to hide it in beast mode? I see theres space between the legs, but nothing i could drill a port into to plug in the weapon...

Thinking about modifying the feets too, the "heels" looks way too much out of place in beast mode

14. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

I have T30 and Core Rattrap. I like this version better. Bot mode is awesome

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    You Dirty Rat!
    dirty rat.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Racer_J

Racer_J Permanently logged out . . .

I wasn't prepared for how tiny it was going to be nor all the ball joints (I didn't bother with reviews/pictures).

It feels like someone hoped in a time machine, snuck into the BW development team and went 100% [Stuart]LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!1[/Stuart]. This is way beyond meta retro. It's so retro that it's on an entirely different life-form. It's also really clever and intuitive for such a small toy. Siege/Earthrise/Kingdom have been full of really amazing toys that I love dearly but, this is the first one that has literally screamed I'm fun AF. I can't even with its hands in beast mode though lol.

It might just be the most adorable itty-bitty thing I own (sorry not sorry Buzzworthy Origins Bumblebee) . . .

17. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Was gonna get the Reissue but decided it made far more sense to get the new figure that costs half as much. I quite like him! Nice and posable, even if the shoulders attaching to the back kibble is pretty weird, and the double knees tend to unhook if you mess with the legs.

[​IMG]
    He's tiny! Even the old Basics look big in comparison.

[​IMG]
    That first transformation was quite an unreal experience. I've had chinese dwarf hamsters as pets, so a robot turning into something so close in size and shape hit me in a way that no other TF has.

[​IMG]
    Would've been nice if the gun could properly hide away, but gun-toting rodent is pretty hilarious.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  18. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    mouse hunt.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    ratatouille.jpg

• Like Like x 1