WfC/Evolutions -vs- PotP Grimlock. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by artiepants, Sep 18, 2018.

1. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    So, got myself all the PotP Dinobots except the elusive Swoop (guess i should have nabbed him when he wasn't elusive) now i'm wondering if i need Grimlock with them. I've got the AoE Evolutions version with the sweet gold chrome, and i have beyond zero interest in ever combining the dinobots (i think they look ridiculous combined) but i'm wonder if Aesthetically the old mode with it's roots in the WFC designs might be a worse match and if the new one is a sturdier/less hollow figure. And just what folks think in general.

I didn't dig deep, but i couldn't find much in the ways of comparison photos with a quick google search...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dachande

Dachande Pleasure Toast Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While the WfC version is somewhat stylized, I see it as the better Grimlock. The dino mode is gappy and somewhat derpy, but the bot mode is all kinds of fun.
    From the torso up, the PotP version's dino mode is pure G1, but the rest is atrocious. The bot mode is even worse, with the Popeye arms, super wide chest and clunky legs. I bought it against my better judgement, and regret the purchase.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    I think the comparison more have made is PotP to FoC. The Generations: Fall if Cybertron voyager is big, beefy, and comes with a sword and shield. Plus it has two killer modes if you don’t mind the style (and can get past the fact that he’s probably the most hollow figure of the modern Generations line).

I have both, and honestly prefer the newer voyager. I never got the exclusive G1 repaint of the old toy, so I find its muted colors lackluster and its ginormous single-piece torso cheap.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Excikaiser

Excikaiser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Potp has proportion problems, but I largely prefer that over the hollow/gappy FoC. Also the head is way better on potp than FoC.

Depends your priorities, for me the hollowness of the FoC is a real deal-breaker. Mine will go on ebay soon.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  5. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

I like the way the PoTP Grimlock looks with them better than the WfC one. It just keeps the G1 theme more consistent, even with the compromises from turning them into combiners. If you really want a Swoop, I could pick up one of the many that are still in my area and ship it to you at cost.

• Like Like x 2
  6. artiepants

News Credits:
    thank you! that's what i needed to hear.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blam320

News Credits:
    So, you were looking for an echo to a sentiment you already had.

• Like Like x 2
  8. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get the POTP when it's still affordable. Sometime when you're bored you can still combine them. And the combiner may grow on you.

Reaffirmation. There's a word for it.

9. DaveWire

DaveWire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hold on, just gotta rip apart Volcanicus.

BBEE2AF5-5149-403F-BC23-BDC3B5EFAFE3.jpeg

You can still find him cheap on eBay. Mind you, mine has an upgrade kit giving him his wings and filling in his extremely gappy chest in dino mode. If you want pics of their dino modes, I’ll do it tomorrow.

And old post of mine comparing both Grims.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  10. artiepants

News Credits:
    LOL not at all, I just felt like I was going to buy it and end up regretting it. Hearing from someone else on the fence on him was just good to hear.

(Also, that was the only post when I started responding had then their were 4 or 5 by the time I hit “post reply”)

Huh, honestly looking at the 2 side by side neither of them are really that great at nailing the character, at least not like Slag and Swoop did.

Yeah, I think they’d look more cohesive as a team, as @DaveWire ’s picture shows, the chrome on Evo Grim and his narrow waist look pretty bad with the rest of the POTP Dino’s.... hmmmm

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I prefer the POTP transformation but miss the wrist hinge on the FOC. Also wish the POTP came with weapons.

• Like Like x 1
  12. artiepants

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

seen on the CHUG thread: gotta note AoE Evo Grim looks real nice with a bunch of Henkei figures...

13. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'd go with FOC and this upgrade kit Iron Factory - IF-EX01 FOC Grimlock Add-On it's what i have on my CHUG shelves, along with Planet X's FOC dinos.

that said, i still plan on getting a POTP Grimlock. for Volcanicus, not for the derpy legs/popeye arms.

-

14. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I think you should just get the PotP version. You don't have to combine them they look pretty good together even without doing that and he fits in with the group better than WfC Grimlock would... especially a Chromed version which just looks weird if he's the only Dinobot with chrome. He'd already be the only Dinobot with no Translucent parts if you had the regular version of WfC and that doesn't seem like it'd fit very well either but the Chrome just makes it super obvious that he doesn't belong with that group.

Besides if you ever change your mind in the future and decide you want to combine them you'll already have that option instead of hypothetical future you regretting not completing the set when you had the chance.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

i recently got potp grimlock and ill say that he's a good figure that lacks good accessories, he really needs a sword so i plan on getting nemisis prime and uing that sword

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    My main qualms with FOC Grimlock are the shoulder ratchets being tighter than I'd like and more obvious hollowness.

In comparison, POTP Grimlock could've used tighter ratchets and freaking WEAPONS.

I do find POTP Grimlock more fun to transform.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Blam320

News Credits:
    FoC Grimlock is hands-down scary to transform at times. I definitely prefer the cleaner (and more G1 accurate) transformation the PotP toy delivers.

18. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    It depends on what you want. If you want a decent Grim in robot or T. rex mode, go with FoC. I got the G1 colors and the upgrade to fill the gaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want a Grim that combines or has a G1 show-accurate dino head, go with the PotP version. YMMV, of course.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    For me personally, I like the G1 look to my classics. So I would prefer the PoTP version over the WFC version.

However, WFC was my classics Grimlock for a long while until the PoTP version came out.

20. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Do you NEED the PotP Grimlock? No. If you have the FoC figure, you have a damn good representation already. The question will be how important matching aesthetics is to you or if you find them close enough to go together.

So I think they're both cool figures in their own way and I'd give each a solid "B" grade.... but they're also both produced in the "austerity" TF era (starting in 2013 or so) where we starting to find TFs with lots of hollow parts, cut corners and cheap-outs here and there...and really those aspects are the means by which these figures each suffer in their own ways. PotP Grimlock probably works within the budget limitations better than FoC Grimmy...but then again, I'd have to admit being a sucker for the LED gimmick in the FoC figure which adds back some perceived value. Then again, PotP grimlock has a way more satisfying transformation where FoC Grimlock is ugly to transform, particularly in the robot shoulders/dino hips. They always feel like they could break. Just my perspective. You'll need to follow your gut on that one.

Does any KO company make a KO/downsized MP Grimlock? That would be the ultimate Voyager sized Grimmy, IMO.