WFC Earthrise Cliffjumper

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by PlanckEpoch, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Are the arms tabbed in correctly? I haven’t looked at mine recently but that could be a possible problem location, then make sure the backpack is plugged fully into the fists. If that’s not it, maybe post a pic of your issue and maybe we can help figure it out.

2. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Sure I get he’s more complex than a regular Scout, but height is a deciding factor as well. As somebody pointed out, if I were a Star Wars fan, I’d also balk towards paying the same for Yoda as I would for Chewbacca.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

Unless Yoda was fully articulated and came with a lot of extra weapons. Then I'd have no problem with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robots78

Robots78 Ow, my foot!

Facebook:
    Instagram:
  5. Spicytron

Spicytron Well-Known Member

I am vaguely reminded of Classic Bumblebee, and how upset people were with his difference in height as well. And, just like then, I am okay with it. Call me a fanboy if you want, but the other option for a well made cliffjumper is a considerably higher price point, so I am happy with this.

well... once I'm able to procure one, that is. I am currently too far from the nearest toy-carrying outlet to justify a trip during these quarantine'd times.

• Like Like x 2
  6. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    You're a fanboy! :p 

You're also right. I'm just thrilled that we're getting an actual Cliffjumper rather than a red Bumblebee. Could he be better? Certainly. But that's true of most figures.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I broke down and bought him today after it had been a while since I’d seen one and didn’t want to miss him.

Yeah, he parts forms. And yeah it’s not just the backpack, but the random gun pieces too. I’m pretty sure one day soon I’m going to lose those damn skis. They just don’t stay attached well in his one off mode.

That said, there’s some real charm in this toy. He’s fun, pose-able, and full of detail and character. His car mode is damn compact and there’s no hollowness to him. I have a fair number of legends figures, and he’s a higher quality than even my favorites (Shockwave and Cosmos are my gold standards). He’s got more articulation and complexity than anything I’ve seen at his size since Breacher (another personal favorite). I’d argue he’s the best transformers at that size we’ve gotten even with the parts forming.

The catch is: at this size. He is way smaller than Wheeljack, who is the stand out best of this wave. And yeah, other than his stature everything about him screams quality deluxe. If he didn’t parts form I’d think his size was fine. If he was a bit bigger, I’d probably be ok with his parts forming.

It’s a catch 22. He can be so small because he parts forms. He parts forms because he is so small. I can tell what a designer thought here. They desperately wanted a scale Cliffy, so they compromised to go small by parts forming. He is clearly a work of love on the part of his designer. Nothing feels cheap or rushed. The goal was a small scaled jerk of an Autobot, to get there they went with parts forming.

That makes this feel like an epic misread of the fandom. Did we want a small articulate Cliffy enough to parts form isn’t even the right question. Earthrise doesn’t have the legends scale, so to get Cliffy in this line he always had to be a deluxe. Did we want him enough, and at the accurate size, to pay $20 for a character that has to partsform to stay small?

I’ve said a lot. He’s a good figure, mostly worth $20. I’d be confident he was worth $20 if he were either small or parts formed. With both I’m not so sure.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spicytron

Should a gun really count against a figure when it comes to "partsforming"? Serious question, because I feel like in Jumpy's case, this is more "weapon storage".

I agree about the backpack, that is kind of partsformey, but I feel like including the weaponry in that is a bit of a stretch.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it depends. Cliffy’s gun splits into five pieces, and that feels excessive. Especially as some of the pieces are pretty useless on their own. A lot of transformers have detachable guns, combining guns, etc.

For example, Classics Blurr has three guns. All are useable on their own, they all have separate dedicated storage. They can combine into a super sniper rifle. I wouldn’t call that parts forming.

Siege Springer has five different accessories. Two guns that can combine. That’s fine. Two swords. Great. And a spare rotor thing that can combine with all the other pieces for a super gun and forms an essential part of the Helicopter mode, but is useless on its own. It’s a glaring weakness in an otherwise great figure. I’d totally call that out as parts forming.

For Cliffy, I’d say he’s over that line because of the skis and the black weird folding piece. Outside the super weapon and one off ski car mode they don’t do anything or serve any purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Spicytron

hmmm I'm going to have to agree to disagree on this one. At least in Springer's case, since the rotor still stores fine on his back, you could also use it to make a wristblade, which I've already seen several people do so. If you don't, that's fine, but you could. I don't agree with it being completely useless or a glaring weakness so much.

Cliffjumper, well, while I'm not deferring to your opinion on this one, until I have one in-hand and can study it more for myself., we'll just say the jury is out on it for now.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  11. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You’re welcome to your opinion. As for Springer, that rotor part is pretty awful. The whole rotor assembly is pretty much a fail. I have a spare sword from a T30 Springer I’m using. It’s a vast improvement. How G1 and T30 can have the rotor integrated into the sword and Siege can’t is beyond me.

For Cliffy, the black folding stock of the bazooka is basically his version of Springer’s rotor. It helps in a single version of the alt mode, works in combined mode for the weapon, and is just kinda there in robot mode if you use the twin blasters approach.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kind of an odd request, but would anyone be able to take a comparison picture of this guy with Studio Series Offroad Bumblebee?

Thanks!

13. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    mine had the same problem out of the box. It’s the paint on the main tab of the back hood. It will take an uncomfortable push to make it fit the first time

14. Taureanstar

Taureanstar Well-Known Member

Wow thank you that totally worked. I thought I was going to break it then heard a noise somewhere between a click and a thud as it moved into place. You were totally right - thank you!

15. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

Two small boys
    D695C9E0-4DF3-45E4-9492-D62A5DC7CD2A.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  16. Spicytron

Okay, so I finally braved my walmart when someone who works there let me know we had some earthrise figures in. Got Cliffy, Wheeljack, Hoist and Ironworks.

Cliffjumper is quite complex for his size, and I am loving it. Yes he is tiny, but compared to the other siege characters, the size difference really is the same as Bumblebee was to, say, Sideswipe back in the Generations line. I enjoy his overall look even if he does have Seaspray/Skytread-Flywheels feet.

And now that I have him in hand, I can safely say I have no problem with his weapon whatsoever. The parts attach to his vehicle mode well, either in rooftop-cannon-mode or in his little rocket jetski mode. The only part that gets left out in one mode is the black part, but that's if you split his bazooka into two pistols. And really, who doesn't remember Cliffjumper more for the bazooka than the handguns? No loss in my opinion.

The backpack/back of the car mode is really the only partsform-y portion of this figure, and while it's a bit of a bummer that they couldn't incorporate it into the structure of the figure, I understand why they did it. They were trying to do a lot with a small amount of room.

In terms of pricing, I'm at odds. While I do think he should have been priced cheaper, my main concern is if he had been, would he have been as good of a figur engineering-wise? Perhaps if he had had another gun, his price would sting just a little less. Perhaps his iconic glass gun as well. or in leau of that, an effects part or two.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The more I play him the more impressed I am by his alt mode and how compact that thing is.

I do not enjoy transforming him. I enjoy transforming Earthrise Jackie. Cliffjumper, not so much. Once he’s in robot mode he’s pretty good. But a lot of the transformation is fiddly and rough given how compact he is.

I’m forgiving a lot because there was no other way to get the minibots into the Siege trilogy given that the smaller sizes are for battle masters and micro masters. Once I realized it was a $20 mini it or nothing a lot of things get forgiven.

But he is still not fun to transform.

18. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wild. I find him tremendous fun to transform, up there with Wheeljack in terms of my favorite from the first wave.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

I fully agree with all this. He is just a fun little guy. An intricate transformation, good posability, a fun accessory with multiple uses, and an awesome looking altmode. I love him. A great buy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The point of most frustration is the black peg in the trunk. That thing is tough to deploy to connect it to his back. It’s a reminder of the parts forming.

On the way to alt mode I have a lot of trouble with the pegs on the door pegging in with his shoulder panels. That is just rough to hook up.

• Like Like x 1