WFC Deluxe Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by PlanckEpoch, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can you post a picture?

Could you please post a top down picture in alt mode? I'm thinking about doing this myself and just wanted to get an idea how it would look on both sides. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2020
  2. ZombehDino

ZombehDino Fast as a Sharkticon

I mean... that's easy. Only so much paint budget to go around lol

Don't get me wrong that would have looked nicer, but this is kind of like asking "why didn't they fill in all of the hollow parts" or "why doesn't it have any diecast," it's all because of budget limitations.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Don’t call me a member thank you very much.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Best I can do. Bastard thing.

8606F4A7-0DA8-4337-B154-DE3948659A66.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  4. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know, I was being a bit sarcastic. It just seems kind of arbitrary which get the full paint love and which don’t.

5. ZombehDino

Yeah that is fair. Like, take Siege Megatron and Netflix Megatron. They're the same toy, both sold as voyagers (sure the Netflix one was $40 but it came with two $6 battlemasters so if anything it's the better value) but the Netflix version is waaaay nicer in the paint department than the Siege one. I don't know how stuff like that works out. Is paint budget spread across waves?

• Like Like x 1
  6. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Isn’t that explained by the idea the first mold has to carry the development costs, while later repaints get to use that portion of the budget on accessories and deco. I think this is a known thing in the fandom, with lots of examples.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Shlockwave

Shlockwave a.k.a Moronmaster

News Credits:
    Look who came in to the office today! "Mr-Haters-Gonna-Hate", himself! 20201111_124043.jpg

Verdict? I don't dislike ER Sunstreaker. In fact, just like my defense of ER Ironhide, it's the best representation I have of him in plastic thus far...but he's GOT FLAWS. The obvious is the horrible match on the yellows. I don't work for Hasbro or any other toy developer, so I don't know why this was the only option they had for this color palette. Maybe there is some insider technical thingies that we, the spoiled consumer, has no comprehension of. It's an eyesore, photographed and in person. I actually think the primary yellow used is fine (the one that looks pale in the photos.) In person, it's fairly vivid and it suits the character well. The canopy yellow is a bit TOO bright..not quite florescent, but close. The only other complaint, a minor one, but I wish they could have used some black or red to break up his shoulders. They look like a lazy oversight, especially in photos. In hand, you can tolerate it a bit more.
    Colors aside, I like his sculpt, with the only areas being a bit unfortunate is his leg gaps. People complain about the ER Datsun leg gaps, but at least they tried to hide some of it with a swivel panel. Here, it's all opened out. Also, as many have bemoaned, the lack of a proper rifle or gun sort of makes this guy..well...useless to Prime. What is he gonna do? brag to the Decepticons to death? And he can't even brag too much about his paint job like he does in the cartoons because-OK, Never mind, I covered the paint already! The only option you have is to take his air intake/blower thingy and have him hold it like some double-barrelled...vacuum cleaner? I don't know, but it looks out-of-place in his hand, so on it's back it stays, to add to his familiar physical attributes.

20201111_123946.jpg

Now the vehicle mode is the lesser of the two modes. I mean, the sculpt is fine. It looks like a Lambo as it should. But again with the two-toned yellows. Here, they really scream at you and tell your eyes to F-off. It's not pretty, which is the irony for a character like Sunstreaker. What are they planning to do to Tracks I wonder??
    20201111_124534.jpg

To make matters even worse, the canopy doesn't quite fit into place properly. Or maybe it does and I am overlooking some sort of "hidden step". But as you can see in my images, not only is it a loud yellow piece, it refuses to obey the rest of the car and sit down and shut it's offensive self!

20201111_124530.jpg

Sunstreaker deserved better attention than this. I mean, there's so much that's done well here, borrowing from the Wheeljack transformation cog and all. Both modes LOOK like him sculpt-wise, and he'll no doubt look nice with all the other ER Season 1 Autobots...as long as he's in the back of the display. But if you are anal retentive about colors and such, he will drive your OCD insane!
    20201111_124528.jpg 20201111_124523.jpg

Hopefully next: Trailbreaker!

• Like Like x 6
  8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I just got my entire first wave of Earthrise in one shot, so this review is pretty much the same for all of them:

These things are design art. The creative team did so much with so little. These toys look the part, are satisfying to transform, and are as sturdy as possible with the smallest amount of materials possible.

Every corner cut was a smart corner. Every compromise swings the correct direction with the payoff greater than the loss.

I'm impressed.

• Like Like x 8
  9. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    Yes.

Misassembled shoulder:

9D571B53-1E9A-4E8A-A962-751E550A3C27.jpeg

Correct shoulder (again, note the half-pipe shape):

4D847E98-2B4C-4A2F-BC9F-9FC0D6451846.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  10. automatrix1

automatrix1 Member

I got Sunstreaker last week and I got to say I love the figure. Yes, the yellows do not match, but it is not bad in my opinion. It is most obvious in low light. I added paint to the figure where I felt it needed it (maybe I won't have to do this one day, as it would be already done in the factory). Adding the black to the door groove/vent was the hardest and the section connected to the arm kept rubbing and taking off the paint. I ended up making a black sticker from the spare Toyhax stickers I had.

Articulation is great, though he is a little boxy. I do wish they gave him a spoiler that maybe turns into a weapon as this figure would benefit from it. I gave him a generations Sunstreaker weapon in the meantime.

Overall I am happy, the roof sits well and the car mode is so cool. I was 7 when I had the original G1 figure, and I am happy to finally have a replacement after all these years that does not make my wallet cry :) 

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Love him. I touched up the vents as well, as was the style at the time.

pixlr_20201112092529486.jpg

20201110_212737_20201112095158400.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
  12. Eurobeatking

Eurobeatking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Found a lone SS this morning while getting some groceries,no problems transforming him and altmode locks up tight,but his left hip is super loose as is the mushroom pegs for both his arms and while I will never use his engine as a gun,he cant even hold it,its like the peg is too small in his hands,but super snug when its on his back,very strange. I also would of liked to see more black paint for his vents and I love seeing how you guys added your own.

Im hoping we see someone make his G1 gun and a spoiler. I also wouldnt mind a new engine piece thats can connect to a spoiler as well as I feel like his engine is almost too small and I feel like it sits too low behind his back.

Despite all that Im pretty happy with him and cant wait to get the rest of this wave.

• Like Like x 1
  13. convoy84

News Credits:
    No ideas on those shoulders? Apologies, that was as close as I could get before my camera went out of focus.

• Like Like x 1
  14. convoy84

News Credits:
    The wheels continue to turn in my quest to fix Sunstreaker’s shoulder. This is a closeup of the pin I’m trying to remove; you can find it at the back of each shoulder.

47E2E10A-BD07-4FCE-B6F2-B52E6783F062.jpeg

Are there any tools available I could use to pull this out? All I need to do is get the pin out, flip that inner piece, push the pin back, and I’m good.

15. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    heat the pin with a soldering iron and pull out with pliers carefully

16. ZombehDino

That's a fair point, I now remember reading about this. So uh... Generations Selects Sunstreaker covered in yellow paint?

• Like Like x 2
  17. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    if your windshield doesn't tab in, just carve the little sockets for the pegs to fit in. id just use a knife and make them slightly bigger, go slowly.

Extend the legs all the way, so not like how it's in the picture. EXTEND THE LEGS IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL WITH YOUR KNIFE OR A SANDING FILE

Red is the hole you want to expand, green shows the area you run an xacto blade against. just scrape a thin layer off, test fit, and take more off if you need to. you can also use a small sanding file as well.

don't shave the peg that goes into it, as that is needed for the windshield to tab into the chest

upload_2020-11-13_17-28-23.png

upload_2020-11-13_17-29-9.png

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 13
  18. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, got my BBTS box, and had a chance to open Sunstreaker here. He is great! Looks good in all modes, nicely articulated, and has a very intuitive transformation that never feels frustrating (three different rotations in an interesting design choice, but it works).

• Like Like x 1
  19. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which colour was the wrong one picked do we think? The one for the plastic or the one for the paint?

20. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    THANKS SO MUCH!
    This absolutely did the trick, and saved this figure for me. The yellow didn't really bother me too much, but the roof not pegging in was a deal breaker. I almost returned the figure, but this solution was exactly what I needed.

Edit: I recommend elongating the legs before cutting, as I scraped a little bit of his back thighs. No biggie since it's not visible, but just a heads up.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 5