We're Watching! - The Official Watchmen Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, Nov 25, 2008.

1. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

Anyone else feel like they slightly missed the mark on the end??? Not that it was slightly changed, no I have issue there. But I kinda feel the whole ah-ha! moment wasnt as poingant or maybe just didnt hit as hard as it does in the comic. Im sure peeps will disagree, but I say it could have done with a Saw-ish reveal collage sequence of a sort, that emphasizes the implications of the plan.

All in all though, great movie. I really loved the cutscenes at the beginning, great imagery... Manhattan on the moon with the astronaut! Manhattan with Kennedy! Comedian kills Kennedy! The hippy with the flower scene! Very stylish visuals. very nice movie.

One more thing... Man those regular ass people look kickass in their superhero suits! Veidt especially is perfect!

2. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

I have no idea if this has been mentioned already or not (I'm not going back through 25+ pages, lol) but I just got a comic-con magazine in the mail that had an interview with Snyder that made me drool with anticipation for the DVD release.

Most of the fans of the novel may know by now that "Under the Hood" by Hollis Mason (1st Knight Owl) and the story within a story that was "Tales of the Black Frieghter", which were integral to Watchmen's overall story, are being released in an upcoming animated DVD shortly. I don't know the release date, however it was stated by Snyder that the actor who played Hollis Mason will be narrating "Under the Hood".

Plus, there will be a future DVD release called "Absolute Watchmen" (as a nod to the collectors edition graphic novel by the same name) which will interweave the animated Black freighter, along with scenes filmed specifically for the movie of the verbal exchanges between the News stand guy and the black kid reading the comic from the actual Watchmen Novel, into the full directors cut of the movie making this almost 3and a half hours long...the actual Watchmen Digital comic that was recently released is about 5 and a half hours long.

According to Snyder, he really had to fight to make this happen. This should please those fans who bitched about how both were left out of the film.

it should also be noted that if it weren't for Snyder, the 1980's era we have in the movie (faithful to the novel) wouldn't have ever happend. When Snyder came onboard they wanted the movie to be in Modern times. He convinced everyone already funding the movie that keeping it in the 80's and including Nixon was very important to the overall story...or GTFO! (at least that's what I would have added).

3. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I passed on the movie. Two- to three-hour movies aren't worth the restlessness I'd be going through in my seat, especially for something getting mediocre reviews from a lot of reputable sources.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Thats the original Mad Max, not the second.

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only "reputable source" should be your own opinion. Surely you've loved movies someone said you'd hate and vice versa?

But if you really have to use other's opinions to determine whether or not you check something out, it has an 8.3/10 at IMDB after 17,000+ votes. Most of us here have liked it. It's not stellar at rottentomatoes.com, but it has "passed." Seems positive enough to me.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

This is definately one of those instances where it was the right man for the job. No one else would have been able to stay so close to the original material and done so in an almost "slavish" way, while changing what needed to be changed to make it work on film.

While I can definately understand not wanting to sit in a crowded, sweaty theater for three straight hours, this is still a film that should be seen. There is nothing wrong with this film in and of itself, it's a powerful, very intelligent film. It's the fact that it's not going to hit everyone the same way that causes people to view it in a negative light. Even people who "get it" will be able to rip this film to pieces, but everything will always have it's critics. This is something that needs to be seen and judged on an individual level before being written off.

7. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

After having waited over 2 decades the first adaptation of Alan Moores Watchmen hit theaters last friday and bashed viewers over the head with a sledge hammer of character drama + political / social exposition that most films in any genres avoid like the plague.

So did Snyders film, fall flat on its butt "no". Do I think, that people who went to see the film and left + the irate views hurt the film "No". But then again, who cares about the ones who left; you know why 'cause I saw Watchmen man and it made my brain all warm n fuzzy

8. soundwave-maker

soundwave-maker Well-Known Member

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

I've never read the novel and I've tried to ignore all the hype surrounding Watchmen. Everything from posters to trailers.

With that said, to say that I was disappointed is an under statement. This movie was horrible. It didn't do anything for me. Nothing. I didn't get one single reaction from it. I'm a movie goer. This was just a bland inconsistent movie.

I do feel that if I do read the novel I will like it much better.

Seriously if I had to rate this from 0 to 10 I would give it a 0.5. Just bad.

Anyone else notice that Silk Spectre has her super high heels on when they land on the roof to break out Rosarch, but when the fighing sequence begins, NO HIGH HEELS.

Rosarch, best character in movie. Everything else including the 2:43 running time not so good.

I'm not a fanboy, just a general movie goer and Watchmen is something that I just do not recommend.

9. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm glad you're in the minority. No offense.

10. soundwave-maker

soundwave-maker Well-Known Member

Non taken. Just my individual opinion.

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I dunno, this movie seems to generate two opinions. Either you love or you hate. Comic related forums and such on the whole love the movie, but the majority of people that I talk not into "the fandom" hate it.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Your loss. I doubt it's the only time either, if all you ever go by are reviews.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I'm a bit underwhelmed by this movie. Pretty much all I can say. I wasn't impressed whatsoever. And now I owe my girlfriend $10 for buying my ticket.

14. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I'm going to see it Wednesday. As someone who's never read the comic (but I already kind of know the story) it'll be interesting to see how much I like it. I'm going in really open minded, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it since it's received pretty good reviews.

15. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

You have no basis on which to doubt me since you don't know me.

Otherwise, why should I pay to sit through three hours of what many are saying is a mediocre film? The time and energy I have to burn these days is little; I'd rather do something I know I'm going to enjoy.

Instead of seeing the movie Saturday night, I went to dinner with friends and had a lot of fun.

I went against the reviews of Eagle Eye and saw it thinking I'd like it, but it sucked. I'll eventually rent the movie. I don't know how I'm "losing" though.

16. MisterE

MisterE What?

I don't know where the negative reviews are coming from, honestly. It's not perfect, no film is or ever will be, but it is by no means particularly bad.

17. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

I have to admit that I enjoyed this movie more since I was already familiar with the novel. Especially since I had the opportunity to fill my buddies in with all the blanks the movie may have provided (that I didn't particularly notice since I was already "in the know"), such as "why did Rorschack's mask move?" and "how the hell did the cops know to find him in Moloch's house?" (which make's much more sense in the book beyond the blind setup the movie depicted).

After filling my friends in on the things they didn't quite understand from the movie they were able to enjoy the story more fully, but it does prove that the movie had it's story flaws despite the efforts put forth by Snyder to manage to keep what actually made it on film faithful to the novel.

I truly believe the directors cut dvd will be a more thorough movie representation of Watchmen then the theatrical release, though I still really enjoyed this movie. I plan to see it at least once more in theater.

18. george tremarco

george tremarco Well-Known Member

As a long time fan of the comic, I'm in two minds about the movie.

What worked, worked brilliantly. Manhattan, The Comedian and Night Owl were all great and Rorschach could literally not have been better. Jackie Earle Haley really nailed the role.

As for the rest...

The revised ending. Eh. I mean, technically it made sense and didn't leave any gaping plot holes (save for Bubastis) but for me, it just fell flat. The deaths of millions of people just felt skimmed over and I didn't really feel any impact at all.

It also seemed like the movie wanted to swing all the focus onto Dr Manhattan as some sort of tragic figure. I don't feel like this worked because Manhattans' tragedy was in loosing his humanity in the first place. He certainly didn't care about being set up as Earth's bogeyman and as the viewer I didn't either.

The pacing felt really awkward and I think is perhaps the most obvious casualty from the switch from comic to film. The structure stuck very close to that of the comic but where it worked on paper, I think didn't work so well as a movie.

My final issue was with the soundtrack. It was as if somebody had a mix cd of random pop songs from the last 50 years and picked one to blast out over the speakers to match the corresponding decade on screen. I was slapped right out of immersion every time it happened.

19. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Saw it Friday night and loved it. Wanted to say I must be in the minority since the theater I was in the only person who laughed about Dr. Manhattan's dick was my friend Candace who has the maturity of an 8 year old most of the time. And I for one thought the music choices were pretty good, Unforgettable during the Comedian/Ozy fight and I thought Sound of Silence worked great for the funeral scene. I wonder what it might be like though if they filmed everything simultaneously and then released it ala Kill Bill in two volumes with each one being a little over 2 hours. A few minor complaints though:

I'd like to have seen the COmedian wear his black leather mask after his face gets cut instead of its not really a big deal scar. And also I'm pretty sure he didn't have his mustache during the Minutemen photo scene, small gripe though really.

I'd like to have seen Ozmyandias at the end questioning if he really did the right thing, I think that would have been a nice ending touch.

I did think they hinted a bit about Ozy being more than meets the eye, and Rorschach I wish they would have kind of been more secretive about his indentity instead of just saying hey its the guy with the sign following them.

Things that were added though I did like were the opening montage of historical moments, Ozy and Nite Owl's updated costumes which looked a lot better than the originals and I think the ending was pretty well done and definitely more believable then the giant squid. Still though, I hope to see it in theaters again this week and can't wait for the Directors Cut DVD.

20. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

:rolleyes:  Because the "reputable" critics know all. You say you took a chance on Eagle Eye and sucked. Good for you. But are you telling me that you have never gone to a movie that critics panned that you actually enjoyed? Hell most of the movies I go to get shat on by the "reputable" critics. And I enjoy the hell out of em! Take a chance, go to a bargin showing and MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND about whether it was good or not, dont be a sheep and follow what everyone else says. You miss alot of good things that way.