We're Watching! - The Official Watchmen Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, Nov 25, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube - NEW Watchmen (2009) Trailer 2

after my folks saw the first trailer, they were, "what was that?" and confused.

with this new one, things are still vague, but they can see there is a plot.

and this one is all WIN.
    :rock 

2. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    This movie is going to suck.

There honestly is no way in hell they can make a Watchmen movie is 2 hours and NOT have it suck.

3. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

Ooh a fortune teller!

4. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

This sounds so familiar.......

5. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Whatever. I just know that the Silk Spectre looks hot!

6. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    My bro is obsessed with the trailers.

I haven't read the novel this is based of yet. Probably do it over Winter break.

7. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
  8. drill

News Credits:
    Look, I'll be honest I am usually against people who bash things without even seeing it (GI Joe, TF RotF), but have you read Watchmen (You probably have)? How in gods name do you adapt that into a good movie?!

I read it. Stared at it. Read it again. Then wondered how the hell you can adapt it. It's like trying to adapt The Long Halloween in two hours and being 90% faithful to the script.

Plus they are changing the ending. And just look at Ozy:
    [​IMG]

Look at his face. And the goddamn nipples.

9. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Last I checked it was at 2:45.

10. Mister D

Sort of changing the ending. Don't want to enter spoiler territory, but the final scene is the same. The only thing that seems to change is.. the... THING.. that was made. That's a relatively small detail in the villain's scheme - there's other ways to do the same basic plan without including the... thing... that's not in the movie, just so long as it manages to provoke the same response.

As for the nipples, it should be pretty damn obvious what that's about. The movie is borrowing its visuals from superhero movies, just as the comic borrowed from superhero comics.

A lot of very skeptical people have seen 20 minutes or so of the film, and I've not heard a single naysayer.

We know some things have been excised already (Under the Hood, Tales of the Black Freighter) that will be given to us on DVD. If you take the base running time of 165 minutes, knock off 10 minutes for pre and post credits, that leaves 155 minutes. Divide that among 12 issues, and you're at 13 minutes per issue. That's not nearly as bad a pace as you might imagine, when you consider some pages constitute a few seconds of action.

11. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I think the movie will turn out fine.

12. drill

News Credits:
    You see, this is how people should respond when someone is saying that they think a movie will blow. Well thought out, answers the person's problems in a non confronting manner, and actually gives reasons behind his views. I respect that a lot.

I still have major doubts about the film, but those will not be squashed until I actually see the film...or proven depending how it turns out. Still, thank you for actually responding like a competent person...unlike other people on other forums. I'll keep your information in mind, though, when I see it.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Considering your "argument" against was so poor and then continued with kneejerk reacitions based on a costume/actor decision you should be grateful someone took the time to respond so well at all.

If you want decent replies, then you need to be considerate enough to give that same consideration in the first place.

14. Mister D

Just be glad you caught me when I wasn't in a snarky mood.

Look, I fully appreciate your concerns and do share them. I've always felt Watchmen would be better off as a miniseries, and the trailers don't have me convinced that they can do anything but stage specific shots well. The question is whether the whole thing hangs together well, and whether it will still have the same impact 20 years after the cold war ended.

Usually pre-release naysayers fall into one of two categories. One are skeptics. Those who hope the film will do well, want it to suceed, but fear it will not. If you're one of them, then you should be able to walk in there opening day, see the film, and judge it fairly.

The other type would be the flamers, the haters, the ones that made up their mind that the film WILL suck, that they will NOT enjoy it, and that they will spend their 2+ hours watching the film nitpicking it to death in order to justify that opinion.

I'm a skeptic, one with a little more hope based on the early word of mouth. I think what we've seen and heard should be enough to convince my fellow skeptics that failure isn't a foregone conclusion. Even the best movies tend to disappoint 10% of their audience. There's a good chance you or I will end up in that category. At this point, I don't want to walk in there believing the hype. I refuse to accept that this is going to equal or surpass The Dark Knight or even Iron Man.

But if I can get something above Blade level, given all that this project has been through, all the wrong turns they almost took along the way, I'll be okay with it.

15. McBradders

Can't be worse than LXG or V now, can it?

16. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I 3> Twin Twist.

17. McBradders

I should also practice what I preach :lol 

Working late makes me cranky.

18. Mister D

Not LXG, but I can think of far worse than V.

19. drill

News Credits:
    Sir, that is uncalled for. What I was doing was complimenting misterd. Was I attacking him? No. Perhaps if YOU want decent replies then you should be considerate enough to think before you attack.

As for misterd, using your scale I would be a skeptic too. I will go into the film unbiased, but that does not change my current opinion. Until I see otherwise, I believe that it won't work. The project, in my mind, is too grand a scale for a film, but too little for two.

20. McBradders

Really? I found it more insulting than LXG by a wide margin.

Bje bje, my point stands regardless. And don't call me sir, sarcasm or no, it's creepy!