Were should transformers art style go next?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gregles, Oct 10, 2011.

1. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    I like the artistic styling of Samurai Jack, and feel there could be interesting take of transformers from that art style only.

2. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

wasn't that everything from R.I.D. to cybertron?

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Already been done. It's called 'Transformers Animated'.

4. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    I guess I can see that you mean, though I don't think think you completely understood what I meant. I meant the the backgrounds themselves in every shot of Samurai Jack looked like a living painting in of itself. I think maybe a better example of what I mean would be....hmmm, Okami. Looking insanely hand drawn even though it's CG. It'll prolly never happen, but it's beautiful on the eyes to think about.

5. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Claymation.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I know I'm gonna get slayed for saying it, but I'd personally like to see the art style harken back to the days of G1. Despite how much I liked the style of the Animated figures (and now the Prime figures), I've always preferred the look & style of G1 above all else. Ideally, I'd like that look to come back but with more detailed designs, darker coloring with more dynamic shading, and grungy war torn imagery ala a lot of what we saw in the Dreamwave comics or sort of have now in the WFC video game. As far as I'm concerned, that's the definitive look of Transformers as whole. But of course that's just my opinion.

7. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    Zack Snyder

8. Nemesor

Nemesor Active Member

Can I say nowhere?

Cause, much as I like Prime and Animated, I never bought and never will buy the toys. Same goes for the movies (though I don't even like the media there).

The style is too far removed from G1. And as a collector, I like all my toys to 'fit' together. So I don't bother with toys that don't look CHUG-ish, because then I'd need to buy a whole 'nother line just to have some figures they fit in with.

If the style just hovers around the G1-Unicron trilogy (CHUG is sort of a continuation of that IMO) period forever, I'd be down with that.

But, from an aesthetic viewpoint, I guess that's kinda dull. Maybe CG in the style of Prime with more defined and realistic designs? I love the textures and backgrounds in the show, but the character models just leave me feeling a bit 'meh'.

Who can say where it will go next? In ten years maybe there'll be a classics-type line homaging the 'good old' art style we're seeing right now?

9. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

Ask Bob Skir.... :D 

10. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    :lolol 

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Win! :D 

Which style? That guy moves around quite a bit (though it's all good).

If you're talking Infiltration-era Su, that would be, uh... Gundam. ;) 

I sort of liked the idea of cel-shaded G1-style...which is pretty much what Energon and Cybertron were, but they definitely could have done a better job of it. War for Cybertron presents some really attractive stylings, for sure.

At the same time, part of me would really like to see a good old fashioned 2D hand-drawn anime approach again. I'm a bit fatigued by all the CGI cartoons.

zmog