Welker as Soundwave?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tony, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Megaracertron

Megaracertron Well-Known Member

I wonder what this conversation would be like if everyone was standing face to face with each other??? Message boards are a place to bash, Flame, and act smart hiding behind a computer and worst of all to get attention where it is obviously lacking at home

on Topic: Give Frank a break Jeez! He is getting old and why not let the guy get a little work and share a little of the glory that Peter is. With out either of them Transformer would most likely not be as popular. Plus I am sure it is not to late, because Sound wave will probably have a few lines.. He is not known for Long speeches.

It really doesnt matter if he still got it or not! How about a little respect! Looking forward to Franks verison of Movie Soundwave.

2. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I really hope this is true. If not, then bad move on Bay's part for not pleasing some fans.

3. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
  4. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay has no reason to lie. I mean, if he were trying to spread misinfo on even VAs, he'd probably say that soundwave WASN'T voiced by Welker. And I doubt he'd try to confuse people on the voice actors. Megatron is enough.

5. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

i disagree, if it was someone else by the name of john doe who voiced megs back in g1 this thread would just be about how bad they need john doe to reprise his role because john doe IS megatron and everyone else (including welker) can not do megatron as good as john doe does

6. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    I hope so.

Welker got the shaft the first time around.

"Well, you can be in the video game..."

"Video what? I don't even play those..."

7. bonafide1498

bonafide1498 Cavatron shall reign!

Ebay:
    that would be sweet!

8. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
  9. J Migidy

J Migidy Vector Sigma's Lil Helper

News Credits:
    That's a bad comparison. We are talking about voice acting here. You will never see Welker on screen. Try again.

10. darkpilatus

darkpilatus Member

seems like a slap in the face a bit... if i were frank that is

11. Brunstar

Brunstar Member

There was nothing wrong with Megs voice in G1, it was the Galvatron voice (by welker) that was kinda dumb. As far as beast wars went the voice was good but that megs seems to elitist for me. But that's all a matter of opinion and taste.
    Great news for Welker though, happy to hear it.

12. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    I swear, if Bay is just screwing with the fans, I'll never trust him again.

13. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    With the voice acting interests I'm known for and also being a purist when it comes to voice acting, I'm actually glad Welker didn't voice Megatron for the live-action movies. It was an entirely different character to me and the look was draastically altered from his G1 design, and if Frank's voice had been coming out of the live-action Megs I just don't think it would have worked...not for me anyway.

I wouldn't mind Welker voicing Soundwave in ROTF--it would be a cool little nod to fandom, so I hope Bay does follow through and casts him.

I realize you're referring to "seeing" Welker in ROTF, but I thought I'd clarify that Frank actually appeared in several films early in his acting career.

He co-starred with Don Knotts in How To Frame A Figg (1971), and had supporting roles in the Elvis flick The Trouble With Girls (1969) and Disney's The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes (1969).

I also noticed recently on his IMDb page that he apparently has a supporting role as 'Mr. Whitacre' in the Steven Soderbergh thriller The Informant with Matt Damon and Scott Bakula which is scheduled for release 10.09.09. Since IMDb has been known to have misinformation in the past (such as claiming Gregg Berger was dead) I'm going to research this to see if it's true.

It's not like Frank to be involved on-camera though -- he started getting so much cartoon voice work in the early 70's that he didn't have time for on-camera work anymore. He simply stays too busy to have time to be involved in a feature film as an on-camera actor.

14. Megaracertron

Megaracertron Well-Known Member

And if that were true I would defend Joe Doe the same way. If he was being attacked, Made fun of and somewhat disrespected. Welker was the guy who got the job way back when. Now he is the Original voice of Megatron and Soundwave. So if he can still do the job why not.

. If other actors Played Luke skywalker, Han Solo, Leia. Would Star wars still be a hit? Who knows? But as it stands now they are one that helped make Star Wars a Hit and everyone would want them to return to there roles if they could.

15. lerath666

lerath666 Autocon Vs Deceptibot

Ebay:
    I do hope this is true. Welkers absence in the frst movie was one of my two letdowns with it. the other being the inability of getting Starscream to sound as we all remember him. Yes, i know hthe voice ator is dead, but they seem to be doing a good job of impersonating him on animated :) 

16. Brunstar

Brunstar Member

If other actors Played Luke skywalker, Han Solo, Leia. Would Star wars still be a hit? Who knows? But as it stands now they are one that helped make Star Wars a Hit and everyone would want them to return to there roles if they could.

Well said.

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's the problem.

He can't.

The movie Megatron is very different from the original, Soundwave could be a maybe but this Megatron is far too more brutal and beastly than the G1 one.

18. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  19. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:
    Hmm, I don't want to ruin your arguments, but you didn't exactly use the same vocoder as well. Believe me, 90% of the famous Soundwave voice is produced by the vocoder effect on the vocals.

20. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While it'd be nice to have Welker do Soundwave, I am also in the camp of "it's so digitized/manipulated, what difference doe sit really make?"

THAT said, while I love Welker's Megatron - after hearing it in the game, it was NOT the right voice for movie-Megatron. Though I'm sure Welker could've found a balance between G1 voice & something a bit different for the more-menacing look of movie-Meg.

And Cullen is the better Prime - though Chalk's work was pretty good for 12 yrs too!