Welcome Mr. Roberto Orci, you may ask him questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tr4nce, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mr. Orci was Arcee ever intended to have a larger role in the film? Since Arcee's name is said by others at least thrice I think it may have been, but since Bay hates her he reduced her to a background character. Was the idea ever suggested that she could become to Mikaela what Bee is to Sam?

PS- If Arcee did indeed live, I hope the damage to her parts might open up a redesign into a more conventional robot form in TF3. I think that only the current writing team would actually push for that, let alone her returning. Which means, please return! I think personally because of the strike this movie did not reach its full potential, though it was still very good. I think ROTF felt more like a "Michael Bay movie" as opposed to the first, so I'm confident without any hindrances a third film could be a perfect blend of story, character, and action.

2. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A "thank you" and a few questions/observations.

Just wanted to say thank you for Transformers 2. I liked it, but did not love it. As to why I did not love it, and why I can love part 3 ...

1. Why was there no climatic build-up to The Fallen? He was to be the BIG BAD and all that we saw of him was on the Nemesis, a couple of flashes, and boom he is in Egypt. The Fallen has arrived!

Then ... he was pretty much killed by Jetfire Prime. There was no real tension. He was there, he was killed, and the end. I say this not to be malicious, but my heart was racing with the first beat of Star Trek and it never stopped. PLEASE let this build-up be there with TF3. I know you are a talented writer and can deliver on this.

2. Why so much over the top slapstick humor? Situational/subtle humor abound in TF1 and I LOVED it, but man ... Mojo getting humped? Makela getting humped? Devastator hangin?

I LOVED the situational humor in TF1 (mojo's painkiller medication, his bling, momma Witwicky's love of wine, etc)). And nothing else said badass (other than Prime of course) than Mixmaster's bullish Decepticon insignia.

Hell, I didn't even mind the Twins until it became apparent that they were suddenly more important than Bumblebee.

If it is true that all of the above was in part or all due to Michael Bay ... then keep him as FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE from anything other than DIRECTING
    -your- script.

If not, ditch him. Again, everyone LOVED Star Trek (myself included), and it made money to boot, aaaaaand No Michael Bay. :) 

I love him for action, but to be frank he is a ****** when it comes to making script that makes sense. I mean, he didn't think Soundwave's awesome voice would be understood? This from the man of 1 million decibles?

3. How much did you love how the scene with Prime and the Ahole military liason turned out? "But what if they are wrong?" :)  The scene was pure gold.

Thank you for a good 2nd Transformers movie. I know that TF3 is going have a tight script, be suspense and character driven, and a have a build up to THE BIG BAD whose conflict and fight with our heroes will leave us breathless.

Just keep Michael Bay away from your script. Let him direct it, not guide it.

Best wishes!

Neo

3. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    Bob, do you feel this movie's main plot was a bit stolen form G1 Season 2 Episode "Changeing Gears"?

4. Blackout

Blackout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mr Orci,

One more quick Idea for you and the crew. Don't know about anyone else but I'd piss myself if the next film was in 3D seeing as how it's the 3rd one. Huge robots (and Megan Fox) coming out of the screen. *droools*

[​IMG]

5. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Hello, Roberto Orci: I have just come from seeing Revenge of the Fallen, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I love what you, Alex, and Michael Bay (along with everyone else involved with the production of this film) have done with this movie. Absolutely stunning work, guys! Should you and Alex return return for the sequel, I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

PS: Assuming you still read this stuff, did you ever respond to the "Will Hot Rod/Rodimus ever appear in TF2/TF3?" Question I posed, a billion posts back when this Thread was new?

6. PrimePower04

PrimePower04 I got the touch!

so you wrote the movie....but you dont know if main characters lived or not???? :banghead: 

7. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

Hey Bob, thanks for ROTF. After watching the movie twice, i notice the 1st half up to after Optimus dies is great, but afterward it gets kind of slow and disjointed...were there re-writes on this part or did something get cut out that made it slow/disjointed....?

8. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dear Orci...

It's been a week since I saw ROTF, and...well...I'm disappointed with the final result. I figured that right after this sequel got greenlighted, I said to myself "Well, time has passed, the reviews have come in, so surely Bay, Orci, and Kurtzman would HAVE to have figured out what works and what doesn't work in a movie, right?"

NOPE.

Let's start with the most obvious thing that DIDN'T work with the film: the sex jokes.

I asked a question way back then about sex jokes being in the sequel. You simply answered "Can't make any promises." At that time, I just assumed that you probably learned what jokes can fit in where in a movie. I thought I figured that you would only put in ONE sex joke. Well, turns out there were more sex jokes in ROTF than there were in the first movie. Seriously, dogs humping? An appliancebot with a penis gun? Wheelie humping Mikaela's leg? Jetfire farting out a parachute? Simmons dropping his pants, showing the audience his ass and his junk covered only by his underpants? DEVASTATOR HAVING WRECKING BALL TESTICLES!? WHAT THE FUCK, MAN!? Those jokes aren't funny! Some of the people in the audience at my theater were KIDS, for god's sake! Hell, when I saw the first movie, there were some five-year-olds in the theater that asked their parents "Mommy, what's masturbation?" Do you have any idea how disgusted the parents were when they saw Devastator having giant testicles? These jokes don't belong in this movie. They don't even belong in ANY movie. They're better suited for a sketch comedy show, not a movie based on a CHILDREN'S TOYLINE. If you want to put in humor for your movies, make them funny. Simply having a robot hump an untalented skank's leg DOES NOT WORK.

Speaking of humor, there was another joke that nearly made me want to kill myself: Sam's mom getting high off of pot brownies. Again, this a movie based on a toyline FOR CHILDREN. I know you and Kurtzman are TRYING to make the Transformers appeal to a wider audience, but again, this kind of humor does not belong in a movie; a movie that has Transformers no less. So either make jokes that ARE suited for a Transformers movie, or just grow up.

The second thing that didn't work for this movie was the characterization. Whenever you have both main characters and supporting characters, it's usually a good idea to give everyone at least one line of dialogue and help them develop their character a little more. Also, giving a character a reason to perform certain actions helps. This movie lacks quite a few. Don't agree with me? I'm gonna list all the problems here:

-The Autobots. When did they turn from peace-loving robots to serial killers? Sideswipe kills Sideways by slicing him in half, Prime shoots Demolishor in the head, rips off Grindor's face, and rips off the Fallen's face. Also, Bumblebee rips off Ravage's spine. They're GOOD GUYS. They only kill when it's necessary. I know the Autobots and Decepticons have been fighting for millions of years, but come on, you can't turn the heroes into savages. Some of the Decepticons don't even put up a fight! Watch Sideways. He's merely running away, not wanting to put up a fight. If I were Optimus Prime, I would simply just put stasis cuffs on these Decepticons and send them to a Transformer version of Guantanamo Bay or something. Making the Autobots KILL the Decepticons mercilessly DO NOT MAKE THESE GUYS HEROES. THAT'S THE VILLAINS' JOBS.
    -Jolt. I know he was a last minute addition to your film, but come on, at least ONE line from the guy should be more than enough for ya. Hell, I wouldn't mind if Anthony Anderson voiced him, as long as Jolt actually SPOKE, I'd be happy.
    -Wheelie. Now, I'm glad that you made Wheelie cool and everything, but what killed this character for me was where the hell he went in the third act of the film. The last time we see him, he's at the border, being a smart-ass toward the midget guard (BTW, midgets aren't necessarily funny), and then we never see him again. Where'd he go?
    -Sideswipe. Doesn't get any more dialogue in the film after Shanghai. He just says "Clear a path!" and "Damn I'm good." When I saw the designs for him, I thought he'd sound a bit like Sonic the Hedgehog or something, given his fast alt mode and his slick robot mode. But instead he sounds like Duke Nukem. Wrong voices for characters don't work.
    -Arcee. Same thing with Sideswipe. She just says ONE line, fails to kill-sorry, APPREHEND Sideways, and then two of the Arcee triplets get shot at in the desert. Nice. Way to handle a female Autobot there, Orci. Maybe next time you can just have Pretender Alice show her boobs to little kids, that'll TOTALLY WORK! Hooray for sexism! *Sarcasm*
    -Devastator. For a Transformer this EFFING HUGE, his role was very small. All he did was just form himself from construction vehicles that JUST HAPPEN to have the Decepticon logo on them, suck up Mudflap, climb the pyramid, reveal the Sun Harvester, show his unnecessary wrecking ball testicles, and then get killed. By humans. He doesn't even speak, he just roars. Also, how is it even possible for Devastator to be formed when there's still individual Constructicons running about? Is that what you meant by how Demolishor and Scavenger are both "different and the same?"
    -Grindor. Or is it Blackout? Fuck it, I'm gonna call him useless Decepticon drone #12. He's never explained, nor does he even at least speak in Cybertronian. Oh, he gets his face ripped off BTW in gory detail. In a movie based on a toyline for children.
    -The twins. Come to think of it, I'm starting to see the racism these two portray. So I was somewhat half-right when I said these two would be negative stereotypes. At least they weren't negative stereotypes of mentally-challenged people (but you'll probably do that in Transformers 3 just to piss me off). But again, I am starting to see why they're racist. They don't know how to read, they speak like wannabe gangsters, one of them is Jar-Jar Binks, and the other one has a golden tooth, like a stereotypical gangster. Also, I really wish you didn't use that one sign the twins had in their ice cream truck mode. "Decepticons suck my popsicle." Oh yeah, TOTALLY no sex joke right there. Ugh...
    -The scene in which Starscream, Long Haul, and other Decepticons search a village for Sam and Mikaela. The scene was okay right there, I just wish there were some dialogue. Have Starscream say "Keep your optics peeled, you fools!" and have Long Haul grumble like his G1 counterpart. Oh right, you can't afford extra dialogue, my bad.
    -The Decepticon protoforms. Way to reuse the Autobot protoforms, only slap Blackout/Grindor/useless Decepticon drone #12's head. That's REAL creative right there *more sarcasm*.
    -Ratchet. He's in the movie, he just doesn't show up that much. Nor does he do anything. Or say any more lines other than the two he's given. Have I mentioned that dialogue is important? It is, and this movie is lacking it.
    -Ironhide. Same as Ratchet.
    -The Fallen. He should have put up more of a fight with the Autobots, including "Jetfire's Corpse" Armor Optimus Prime. Also, wasn't he trapped in some sort of fire dimension the whole time, and not on the Decepticons' ship? What happened?
    -Barricade. He wasn't in it. Me very sad. :( 
    -Scorponok. Way to write him off there. Have him just conveniently show up, injure Jetfire, and then get killed. Oh well, he wasn't necessarily important.
    -Megatron. Okay, this Megatron sucks. He's only evil because The Fallen possessed him so he could claim the Allspark? Wow. That's...I can't even BEGIN to describe how cliched and ******ed that is. What's worse is that Megatron feels remorse when the Fallen dies. Wasn't it said somewhere that Megatron only helped the Fallen because he wanted to become a Prime himself? If so, why isn't that mentioned? Oh right, you can't afford enough explanations for the plot, either.

The third thing that was wrong was the amount of plot holes in this movie. Devastator being both himself and the individual Constructicons at the same time is a prime example. Here's some more:
    -According to the TFWiki (which of course, this could be false, so might be a plot hole, might not), "On the sonar, there are 'five contacts' diving down to Megatron's location, and 'six contacts' going up after his resurrection. Since one Constructicon was killed to repair Megatron, shouldn't there be only five contacts going up as well? Keep in mind, Scalpel is too small to register on sonar, but Ravage is just large enough."
    -Bonecrusher's appearance. Yeah, turns out we see Bonecrusher alive and well in vehicle mode, even though he got his head cut off by Optimus Prime in the first movie, and was dumped into the Laurentian Abyss along with his other fallen comrades.
    -Isn't Rampage supposed to be YELLOW, and not red?
    -Who was the "little one" the Doctor/Scalpel wanted the parts from?
    -Wasn't there supposed to be 13 Primes, not 7? It's 13 in the novel, but 7 in the movie. Who's right?

So, you can probably tell that I didn't like this movie, not one bit. IF you, Kurtzman, and Bay are staying for Transformers 3, just promise me this: Make it better. That means no stereotypes, no sex jokes, better dialogue, no new Transformers (at least a few new ones are okay, not 40-something robots), better characterization, and a plot that makes coherent sense. As I said in my review for this movie when I first saw it, the only thing that will convince me to see Transformers 3 is if Bay gets kicked off the crew. The man cannot direct, only provide action and explosions. He should be at least a consultant for special effects, and nothing more. I hope you take this post into account, and maybe...just maybe...if Transformers 3 actually does do better than Revenge of the Fallen, I may reconsider.

9. MegatronSupporter

MegatronSupporter Well-Known Member

My god man,you spent all that time making a post that is oh sooo very largely not asking a question or questions related? I think you should consider condensing the heck out of that post. Wow.

Roberto four questions-

1) If any,which new Transformers were suppose to get more screen time but didn't and why?

2) And secondly Is there any screen time for either one of the Transformers that got cut out of the movie? If so then who and why?

3)If you plan on coming back or when you do for Transformers 3,which new Transformers do you intend on having come back from Tf:ROTF and ones we haven't seen that you haven't discussed about at all?

4)What would you think if Unicron was in Transformers 3 as not only as a Cybertronian planet destroying
    weapon,but also as a source of the hate plague pitting the Autobots against each other and stopping them from saving earth? Do you think the latter would be cool as a big challenge and as a part of the storyline for Transformers 3?

10. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

Here's a couple more that occurred to me.

1. What were your inspirations for the Allspark? Was it intended to be an analogue for Primus and/or Vector Sigma? If you do introduce Unicron into the movie-verse, will he have some connection to the Cube?

2. If you do include Primus and/or Unicron, will you keep their divine nature intact, or try to "ground them in reality" by altering their origins? Any chance of the Quintession(s) making a major appearance or at least a cameo?

3. What was the reasoning behind reducing the number of the original Primes from thirteen to seven? Did it have anything to do with the fact that only six of the "First Thirteen" are recognized/officially known within Hasbro's canon? It's been noted that a Sentinel Prime is alluded to in both the novelization and the film itself, was he intended to be one of the Seven or merely a descendant of the Dynasty like Optimus?

4. In the prequel comics, a distinction is made between the first Cybertronians (The Fallen and his kind) and the Transformers. It's stated that the "Transformers" are a separate race of "living tools" that were created by the Cube to serve the original race, who could not Transform. Obviously, this raises questions as to exactly how Optimus and the Dynasty of Primes are related. Optimus is very clearly a Transformer, but is also stated to be a descendant of the original Primes, who were not. Care to comment on this apparent contradiction? (Note that personally I don't consider the comics and other such prequel material canon, but it would be cool to hear your opinion on this matter anyway.)

11. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Well-Known Member

Neospark1, great post! Hear, hear.

Eric, great post too. I second just about everything you said.

Good luck getting Bob to actually respond to it though.

12. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    I think you failed to realize that the movie WAS rated PG13. That does say that there was likely to be child-unfriendly content.

Anyway, Orci, we know from Botcon that Springer was at one point going to be in the movie, so could you give us a little rundown on a few characters that were at one point considered for the film?

13. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I don't know, man. I do see a lot of question marks in his posts, though.

14. DavidT

DavidT Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The movie is PG-13... not G or PG!!!! If parents take 5 year olds to see it then thats their problem.

15. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    You Must Get Transformers allaicne comic book for their introduction

16. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A feature film should not have people rely on outside sources (except maybe TF1) to understand things. I don't think Ratchet was even named in the movie.

Just to make this a question:

My favorite scene in both films so far is the Autobots' meeting on top of the Observatory in TF1. I thought it was a great robot only dialogue scene and sorely missed among the Autobots in ROTF. So just putting it out there, hopefully there will be some in TF3!

17. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    Dear Mr. Orci,
    It may seem like a strange question but did Bumblebee know that Alice(Isabel Lucas) was a Pretender ? It would have just seemed like he disliked her because he didn't want
    Sam cheating but the scene where he bashed her head on the dashboard seemed a little harsh. Why would Bumblebee do something like that if he's not supposed to harm humans ? Why would Bumblebee let her go if he knew she was a Decepticon ?

18. SC0RP0N0K

SC0RP0N0K Well-Known Member

Actually he is making well thought out and rather concise (well as concise as can be based on all the fail this movie has in it) concerns. This is supposed to be a thread where we as fans can ask questions and bring up problems we had with the movie and he has a right to state his opinions. Honestly I agree with him, these were major problems for a lot of fans that I think should be addressed.

19. protocida

protocida Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mr. Orci:

1. Are you and Alex Kurtzman really not going to write Transformers 3?

2. Are the Constructicons in the final battle Protoforms who scanned the same vehicles as the real Constructicons.

3. Would you introduce Unicron in a movie?

20. BDbots72

BDbots72 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Film was great, but some questions/suggestions

-not enough autobot screen time
    -Have you thought about it this way...

1)Fighting screen time to the fighters- ironhide, sideswipe, jolt maybe... + (others for third movie). Show their struggles in battle, overcoming the odds

2)Central plot details/dialogue for the more inclined robots- ratchet, soundwave, wheeljack (come on he's in the third one)... example, they have the nifty dialogue that explains the technolgical hazard central to the film... this is a poor example but hopefully you get my point. Wait arent they going to build the dinobots in the next movie???*

3)Cluster the funny bots together to save screen time- twins stupidity meets the stupidity of the dinobots :) . Just like kup and hotrod had their moments trying to load the dinbots on the ship. I think BB and twins could have some awesome moments with the dinbots.

?? Thoughts??

Might i also suggest...

-dont give prime all the action sequences. Give him the amazing philisophical speeches and the glorious final battle. Just like the first film, except actually make the fight glorious! Prime was never a killer, let ironhide, sideswipe, + others do the grunt work.

Lets have some story and conflict amongst the ranks of the autobots. I would love to see a friendship between ironhide and prime. Then have ultra magnus or someone come and challenge this friendship. Essentially the two would subtly be battling to be prime's right hand man.

I have more to say, but i'll stop there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.