Welcome Mr. Roberto Orci, you may ask him questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tr4nce, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mr. Orci, I want to start off by saying thanks. I loved the movie.

That's not to say I didn't think it had it's faults, but from your responses to a lot of the recent questions, I can see that the blame might have not been yours.

Which brings me to my question: If you write the next film (which I hope you do), what would be your approach? We already know the crew is taking a break, do you think the break will allow you guys to tackle making this film in a fresh way? I for one loved the action in this one, but I would like the next movie to have more bot/human interactions.

Also: What kind of role did you envision Jolt having? He wasn't really in the movie for much, so I would like to know the kind of character you saw him as.

2. The Mad Artist

The Mad Artist Active Member

Thanks for answering Bob! Best of luck to you and Alex in your future writing endeavors.

3. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob. Again I really wasn't trying to be a a-hole but I am a big fan of yours when it comes to your other projects (Especially Fringe, which in my opinion is probabaly the best show on TV right now) and I was just dissapointed with this is all.

4. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

I get that there was a writers strike, but I think I would have made more time to make a script better that what it was. Again, I thought they did a really good job with the first movie and the second was not what I was expecting from them.

5. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Mr.Orci..
    I think I am gonna suggest you something. I think you can add more drama on ROTF script but you didn't. Simmon and his ''one man'' speech is brilliant. I wish Simmon is die in movie with his ''one man'' speech.
    And Jetfire.
    He can't just rip out his spark. I wish he is killed by protecting Prime from The Fallen. There is absolutely make no sense The Fallen just grab the matrix and get away. I wish you guys could add The Fallen tries to kill Optimus Prime.

6. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bob,
    Were you much more interested in Star Trek then TF's?
    Star Trek being really funny, interesting and all around great movie with great balance.
    TF's seems to fail on all accounts IMO. Seeing both its really hard to believe you were involved with writing both of these.
    Would you say your more of a Star Trek fan? Was that how you were able to write a great script?
    Who came up with the idea Megatron should have a master?
    Do you feel after seeing ROTF you would change anything?

Thanks

7. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Well-Known Member

Lol...if even the writers don't know....who in the world would? That's kind of weird. :/

8. Matt Starr

What do you think needs to be done for TF3 to come back with the same energy and passion as the first movie had?

Do you think a passing of the torch is in order, as you yourself have suggested?

Bob, I am not trying to be critical of you, as your first TF movie is what originally inspired me to become a writer myself.

9. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, Mr. Orci, I really hope you return for TF3 since I'm confident this film didn't reach its full potential because of the writers' strike. If the Strike didn't happen and you and Alex and Ehren were more involved with pre-production (obviously that cannot be your fault) then maybe the new Autobots and even the old ones besides the Twins would have gotten some solid characterization. Lennox called out Arcee's name two or three times in the movie, and in the last one the only direct conversations between TFs and humans were with Prime and Ironhide (and I guess Bumblebee too). I didn't get any racist/offensive vibe from the Twins, but I was annoyed that they drained any time Arcee, Sideswipe, Ironhide, and Ratchet could have had to shine. Besides Ironhide and Ratchet (and only because they were in the last film) I did not come to care for any of the new Autobots because they showed nothing to be cared about. Only the turncoats Jetfire and Wheelie, who were part of the 'main group' were solid as characters, and Wheelie disappeared and no one in the film cared whatsoever that Jetfire sacrificed himself.

Nonetheless, Prime was perfect. He was the shining knight of the film. All of his characterization and lines felt like it actually came from you guys and not from Bay.

The Decepticons fared slightly better because it was clear who was getting characterization and who wasn't. The Megs/Starscream dynamic was one of the other perfect things in this film and again it felt as if you wrote it, unlike the Twins' lines and most of the unrelenting humor in the film. I was satisfied with Soundwave too, and while I think the Fallen should have had a slightly larger dramatic buildup, I was not disappointed with him. I was also glad to hear that some of the Con voices, specifically Starscream and Megatron's, had less processing which made the actors' performances better and more convincing. It was unfortunate that so many Decepticons were left unnamed and without any dialogue whatsoever, I hope, since most of them died anyway, that in a fresh slate next time the Cons (as well as most of the Bots) can be believable characters and not just fighting machines. I was disappointed that Devastator did not do any fighting, but he was really a sight to behold. I just wish his demise would have just split him back into Constructicons, so that he could do more next time around. He just felt like a teaser to me.

Another reason as to why I felt less influence by the writers on the film was bad was the tone. I thought TF1 established a clear tone and balanced comedy with some degree of seriousness, but ROTF jumped all over the place. It never once felt dark though as Bay claimed.

I hope you'll return because this film had a lot of potential, but so much crafting on different aspects by different people made it feel a bit jumbled, whereas TF1 felt very consistent and enjoyable throughout. Still, the fight scenes (especially the forest) were spectacular. There are still a lot of classic characters fans would like to see in live action form, and I think as long as there is no Writers' Strike or other event which limits your direct input we could have something better than both ROTF and TF1 next time.

Also, is Arcee dead or not? Because I don't really don't think that two bikes getting shot once each, one panel of armor falling off, and another bike not getting hit at all constitutes death. Again, I think only you guys would push for having her back regardless of what Bay thinks next time, because I would like to see a female Transformer characterized on screen.

But I want to finish by thanking you for an enjoyable time at the movies yesterday. Though I enjoyed the first a bit more, there was lot in here to like, even if there was some things to dislike.

10. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

11. DECEPTI CREEP

DECEPTI CREEP Active Member

Hey Bob,

First off, thank you for your time here. I can't believe the smart ass comments you're getting. Unbelievable. I have just a couple quick questions.

The idea of the transformers being here thousands of years ago is freakin awesome. Do you feel as though this could contradict any religous or biblical facts? In the movie universe of course.

Was killing Prime/stasis lock any homage to the 86 movie? That whole scene was EPIC!

Thanks again, good luck on your future projects.

12. Matt Starr

From filmschoolrejects.com:

Cole: I heard that the gold tooth was Michael Bay’s idea, but do you have any response to those who found The Twins offensive?

Orci: Number one, we sympathize. Yes, the gold tooth was not in the script, that’s true.

Kurtzman: It’s really hard for us to sit here and try to justify it.I think that would be very foolish, and if someone wants to be offended by it, it’s their right. We were very surprised when we saw it, too, and it’s a choice that was made. If anything, it just shows you that we don’t control every aspect of the movie.

Cole: Were you offended by them?

Kurtzman: I wasn’t thrilled. I certainly wasn’t thrilled.

Orci: Yeah, same reaction. I’m not easily offended, but when I saw it, I thought, ‘Someone’s gonna write about that.’”

Bob that was really cool of you and Alex to admit that you didn't especially like the twins either. Probably don't want to piss Michael Bay off though, so it's hard to say what you're really thinking. :) 

13. PrimePower04

PrimePower04 I got the touch!

BOB:

I feel you and alex would have done alot of things different in this film than bay.... Im gunna be honest and say the plot was not so great and had many holes and the script was average at best...however i realize that Bay changes alot and is stubborn..there was just to much comedy but i believe thats bay not you guys... could you tell us anything you would have done differntly if u were in control? ex. more character development and less perverted jokes!

I also want to say the movie was awesome until prime died....from then on it was confusing, boring at times, too many plot holes, and way 2 perverted.

also why did no autobots die???

and could you go to PAGE 43 of this thread....I wrote a long statement regarding death and a scene...you responded to it....in your response you said there is a similar sene to the one i wrote...is that the forest scene with prime???

truthfully the scene i thought of in 5 min. would have provided more character development than any other scene in the movie....the forest scene could have been done that way...just replace prime besides ironhide..prime gets badly wounded but the other autobots comein and save him... it would have been awesome to see megs stab prime in the back but before he shoots to finish him off ironhide comes in and spears megs...ratchet trys to repair prime but he needs jolts electric whips to give prime energy....so besides jolt having no purpose he is a huge reason why prime barely lives...from then on ratchet tries to repair him but he cant so sam still needs to get the matrix to prime to completely revive him. if prime would have lived there could have been a scene where the autobots are debating on what they should do which would have added character development for sideswipe and company...i could go on and on but im sure ur bored if ur reading this at all...

sorry to complain a bit but i expected so much and i guess i felt let down...
    dont get me wrong a lot of the film was awesome and much appreciated but i just wanted a great movie not an entertaining one...

thanks for your time.....have a good day...

o ya do you respond to messages sent to your inbox on this board?

14. Scarletcrawler

Scarletcrawler Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bob I would like you to clarify some confusing stuff about the movie:
    Is Arcee a single entity divided into three bodies or are the bikebots sisters? How did she get form her form seen in "the reign of Starscream" to her ROTF form? Did she and Jolt survived? Who is the Bonecrusher clone? Are the constructicons a subgroup of multiple "clones" able to combine to form multiple Devastators?

15. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey Bob, at any point, did you guys and Bay consider getting Will Smith and Martin Lawrence as the voices of Skids and Mudflap?

16. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mr. Orci, congrats on a great film. Saw it at one of the midnight showings and was drawn in from beginning to end. My mom is extremely excited to see the movie on Sunday. TF1 happens to be one of the only action/sci-fi movies she's seen more than once. This of course is on her own accord. My wife is also excited to see ROTF. I'm hoping the film is extremely successful and you and Kurtzman come back for TF3. I think someone mentioned about a possible connection to Roswell which would be great.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mr. Orci, I wanted to say thanks for helping with, what I thought, was a great movie and much improved from the first. I was hearing about so many negative reviews that I must admit that it brought my excitement down a bit, but now that I saw it, I really can't agree with the hate. The story was more out there, delving more into TF lore and I was fine with that. The actions scenes were amazing, and I really think Prime was well written and appropriately strong this time.

So, I did have two quick questions. One, at what point did The Fallen station himself up on the moon? I would guess Starscream brought him here after Megs was killed in the first, but I wanted to ask what you were intending. My second question is about the hatchling, and I really would just like to know if you have some back story for it?

Thanks for your time!

18. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bob, if you Alex & Ehren do write the 3rd film, would you consider fleshing out Jolt some more? I know that he was a rather late entry and you couldn't do much with him considering the circumstances, but with no real similarites to past Jolts I see him as a blank slate that could end up as a real fun character(hopefully with a voice actor:) )

19. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    1. If you guys return for TF3, could you ponder giving Sideswipe and Jolt more screentime and speaking parts?

2. Had Bay not pushed the twins on you and Kurtzman and Kruger, which two characters would you have put a little more focus on in compensation?

3. According to Hasbro, Springer was at one point going to be in the movie. Can you shed a bit of light on what his role might have been and the circumstances that led to him getting the axe?

20. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Hey 0rci!
    Loved TF2, I have plans to def watch this again next week!
    So, if u jump in the boat to plan out TF3, can U please try your best to keep the Constructicons, and develop a story along with the Dinobots simultaneously?

There designs were out of this world, we need to see more of them, afterall they were responsible for construction work back on Cybertron, before Meg's hatred began!
    Thanks!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.