Weirdo in the Transformers section

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sonscreen, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Sorry, dude. I didn't realize I was bothering you. I didn't have anything better to do that day. :thumbs2: 

2. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Because you ticked me off twice you weirdo.

3. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I've met a few TF fans @ TRU over the years. All were positive experiences, thankfully.

My last one, the guy behind me in line asked if he could look at the Alt Grimlock I was purchasing and said, "Wow, that is so cool! Are they still making Transformers?" We chatted a bit and discovered TFs were his favorites when he was young too. I told him I hadn't bought any TFs since the 80's, and the Alternators got me back into collecting again.

He was there buying something for his kid's birthday, and ended up getting out of line and went and picked up two Alternators.

So glad I could help him out. I'm sure he had an interesting conversation with his wife when he got home, having bought more toys for himself than he did for his kid.

My negative toy shopping experiences involve meeting dealer jackasses and bratty kids with their mom or dad.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Thats weirder then the guy I saw in Seattle who, as he was walking down the street, took three steps, screamed at the top of hus lungs, then repeated the process

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol 

Man, you New Yorkers are an entirely different breed...:p 

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Not met any TF fans, in real life. Leaving the toy isle last night I heard a little girl say "I already have that one." I turned to see her and her mother sorting through the two packs on the end cap. Nice to see that are still girls who are into TFs. If only there were more that are closer to my age.

I didn't say anything to them. I may be weird, but I try not to be creepy weird.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I saw one of the most confusing things at Wal Mart not long back. Was checking out the various stuff in the action figure aisle when this guy and who I can only assume is his father start looking at the WWE figures. The guy looks like he's around 30-40 and his father is an old man at least in his 60s. The entire time the son is badmouthing his father, calling him dumbass and the like. When I mean the entire time, I litterally mean the entire time. He'd say something every few seconds. He's saying these things loud enough for me to hear from the other end of the aisle. By the way he talked, I honestly couldn't tell if he was an asshole or retarded.

8. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I overheard a conversation between 2 guys at the TRU TF section discussing Transformers. One of them apparently is a vendor and he was taking advantage of the sale they have at the time (and took all the ones I was planning on getting.. that bastard). The other guy was a casual fan who knows a thing or two from his childhood and was curious about the current state of TFs. I listened for awhile but didn't want to butt in because I didn't want the conversation to drag on. Was planning to buy and get out but that first guy ruined my plans. :mad 

9. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Well there was this one time I saw this rather plump guy crawling on his hands and knees down the TF aisle in TRU. He was saying "Kremzeek!" over and over again in a high pitched voice whilst nibbling on an Alternator Wheeljack in box.
    He was asked to leave the building but refused to and then pulled out a reissue Takara Megatron in gun mode and proceeded to take several members of staff hostage, shouting at them that he "could not leave the building until Primus had been awoken and the Matrix retrieved".
    Said male was later arrested by a SWAT team that had been called, and was piled into the back of a police van. His last words were "Dinobots, destroy Devestator!" before he was taken away.

(Note : Above post is a complete lie)

10. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When I bought my copy of TF:TM on dvd the register monkey asked me if I wanted to touch his rub symbol.

I encountered a kid doing the 'read everything outloud on the TF box' routine once at Target. He was a pretty annoying little bitch.

The rest of my collector based run ins have been positive. There always seems to be one or two fans at the collectables store in the city, laughing at the over priced binaltechs. Of course there's always a group of dumbass goth kids, looking at those 'dead dolls' saying things like "woah, dude, they're like dolls, but they're totally dead and shit." No joke, that's a pretty much word for word quote. Oh, and this gem: "Dude, do you reckon you could sleep with one of those in your room? I could, because I'm so hardcore." *Sigh*.

11. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Botbots Encyclopedia

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's nice, coming from someone in BERKELEY. :D 

:ev:  Dude, that is SO the new Transformer pickup line...

12. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I normally employ the hit and run tactic. Ive only run into one fan before and it was a pleasant experience. We chewed the fat for about 10 minutes (probably less) and that was it.

Now while I do talk to myself on occasion while in the toy isle its in reference to the preponderance of shelf warmers.

13. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I've made a minor nucence of myself at the local Kay Bee I must admit. I get off of work at 2:30 pm and every wendsday is Comic Book Day. So I head to the mall (1/2 hour) pick up my books as slowly as possible, but I still have a 40 minutes before I have to pick up my wife downtown. Home is 20 minutes away so I'd have enough time to touch my driveway and turn around. So I usually mall walk.

But malls being pretty much genaric (and deserted at 3:30pm) I usually hit my big four: Comics, Books/Magazines, Videos/Music/X-box Games, Toys. The comic guys know me by now, the Waldenbooks is used to browsers, the Fye's is too big to notice one guy browsing, but the Kaybee is dead. Usually to 20-something employees tossing a Nerf back and forth.

So when I show up it's "Can I help you? Can I PLEASE help you? It's not like I'm getting a commission BUT DEAR LORD I'm so BORED, please let me walk around my store with you PLEASE!!!!!!"

As for the first guy, maybe he's retarded (like Downs syndrome) I've seen guys like that in toystores at weird hours. I did know one guy who confessed he liked reading the most mundane things to improve his vocabulary. And there's also the possiblity the guy is a wannabee voice over actor, a lot of them look for things to read to improve their intonations.

14. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    While at TRU i was reading the bios out loud and some freak just stood there looking at me.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

15. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Hmm, Only thing I ever here is the same thing I always say in the TF Isle. "Damn suck ass Wal-Mart can't ever get any new stock!!"

16. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Not that I'm a fan of annoying-ass, 14-year-old, Hot Topic mall-goths/punks, but seriously..."reckon"? You can't walk around like that and say shit like "reckon."

At any rate, on the topic at hand...I'm long past the point where I used to feel a little silly hanging out in "Aisle 7C". Only when I was kinda new to the whole thing, 19-20ish, did I occasionally say to myself, "Dude WTF?", and actually consider that the woman with her kid might have thought I was a weirdo. But then, I was quite likely high back then and may have just been paranoid.

These days, I go in, spend about 2 minutes flipping through stuff and looking for stray items, and if there's nothing, I'm out of there as fast as I can weave my way through all the slow-ass fat motherfuckers weaving their cart full of Cheez-its and Diet Coke around the aisles like a driver with a .20 BAC.

I rarely seem to come across other adults in the aisles, and when I do, I'm certainly not the one who initiates a conversation. It's been about even between fellow collectors who seem pretty normal and don't go onandon, pasty fuckers who only emerge from their parents' basement in the wee hours to look for toys, and scalper types who are either gloating because they got there first or sneering because I did. But we're talking like 1 trip in 20 do I even see anybody at all.

17. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    haha! "reckon". so mid west. or is that midsouth?

i reckon.

18. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Action Figure isle at my nearest TRU is almost always desserted. Everyone seems to congest in the baby and the learning toy sections. Waste of time if you ask me. But I have had my encounter with a fan. Some 10 year old comes into my store, and for 30 minutes tries to decide, by annoying me with repetitive questions, how to spend his money wisely (ie. He had a budget of like 30 bucks). Questions like "Okay, should I get the minicon pack and Armorhide or this Alpha Quintesson or 2 Scattershots"....on and on. Then he proceeded to purchase Power Rangers??!!! WTF??!!

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm an anti-social, hit-and-run shopper, so I never talk ta NOBODY!! :) 

Therefore, my unusual experiences are few

I saw a parent with a small kid carrying Alternator Skids. It just went against my personal bias of Alternators as the "not-kids" line.

If I ever end up talking to anyone about TFs, the person seems to invariably be a casual-nostalgia fan, who will tell me how the toys were so much better in the '80s than they are now, with a side of "remember when they made Optimus Prime a monkey? what was up with that?"

My best experience came around Xmas 2004, when I tried to be informative to a lady shopping for TF Energon toys for her grandson. It wasn't exactly wierd, but it sure wasn't simple to try to explain the comparative merits of different toys in terms a grandmother with no TF knowledge can understand.

20. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i met this wierdo who was into TF's. he called himself "twin twist" after that sucky toy. man he was wierd.