Weird scenes. explaining why a 17 year old is dating an older dude.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Sighphi, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Sighphi

Sighphi Active Member

Was discussing this today and the conversation brought up weird scenes that in really didn't add or provide anything to the plot.

Like the title says, why did we have to have an older dude dating the daughter? The whole "Daddy doesnt like" thing could be played out at any age, older man wasnt needed. His job doesnt need it either. Given that we never got what type of racer he is, right? he could be placed bunch of different race classes. 18 years old would have been fine. In fact, it would have played better with the whole idea that she is young and rebellious and doesnt really know what she is doing.

And why did we need a closeup of the law explaining why this is possible, too? That was the strangest thing.

Another one was the whole limp wrist thing with that movie guys. Why was that needed? Does a character that was there for a couple minutes need that characterization?

2. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    - I don't see the issue. At 17 I was dating a 21 year old. Shane wasn't that old, and frankly, maturity levels vary so much during those years that they could easily be on the same maturity level.

- He was specifically a rally racer, hence the Rally car. Rallying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- The law scene helped show just how futile it was for Cade to try to prevent the relationship in my humble opinion

- Limp wrist guy didn't bother me.

3. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

In my personal experiences, girls around Tessa's age tend to like older guys. How much older varies.

And please. My father-in-law is over 10 years older than my mother-in-law. So I honestly didn't really see anything wrong with Shane and Tessa's relationship. Seemed pretty normal to me. Was surprised to hear there is actually something called the Romeo and Juliet law or whatever it is.

Besides, I thought the scene was kinda cute. Shane was ready and prepared to defend himself and his girlfriend.

4. Sighphi

Sighphi Active Member

This isnt about whether it's right or wrong but what was the point?
    Like i said, age wasnt needed to have the father disapproval scenes and on top of that why did they actually need to refer to the law of the state.

Adding all that detail for no reason at all.

5. TUROK1134

TUROK1134 Banned

Establishes his character and serves as humor. Not everything has to advance the plot or be expository.

That close-up. That's classic Bay humor. I found it funny.

6. MelficeCyrum

MelficeCyrum Well-Known Member

I think the Romeo-and-Juliet law thing was a deliberate TAKE-THAT at the usual teenage romance stuff where it's a younger girl and an older guy. Instead of the relationship being super-creepy, it's legal.

Also establishes that Shane isn't some stupid lovestruck young man. Shows that he's intelligent enough to know what's up and what he should or shouldn't do.

7. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

The point was that they wanted an older guy with a younger girl and Shane pulling a piece of paper out about a law relating to them.

It also re-showed Cade being a protective father, and that neither Tessa or Shane were idiots.

Well, okay. Tessa's a little dumb for not remembering the whole "Romeo and Juliet died" thing, if she really didn't know.

8. imranbecks

imranbecks Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The father was just being protective of her teenage daughter which is all he has left after his wife died. So yeah, I would understand why he doesn't want her to date around at that age. But yeah, he should give her some bit of freedom at least but it appears she managed to do so behind his back anyways, so won't matter either way.

Speaking of father and daughter, I thought Mark Wahlberg looked really young to be her father. The man doesn't look his age. When both of them interact as father and daughter, it just didn't look convincing. They looked more like boyfriend and girlfriend..haha..

9. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I think the scene got weirder as it went on. He was 20 and she was 17, that is not a ridiculous age difference, and I thought it would be legal for them to date even if they didn't date in high school. I found it even stranger that Shane just carried around a copy of the Romeo and Juliet law with him. That makes me ask questions that I don't want to ask.

10. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It was unnecessary for sure. And the little Romeo and Juliet card being shown was fucking awful.

11. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We really needed a thread about an older guy dating a younger girl?????????????????????????

Happens everyday people!

12. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some classes read about Hamlet, some read about Romeo and Juliet, some read about MacBeth. Overall some students don't care what their class is reading and doesn't pay attention to the story period.

That and Tessa's response was probably meant to be defiant to her father's point. Y'know, "don't care what you say, we're in love." It was just lost in translation.

jD001

13. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    are you kidding me?.. GIVE ME A BREAK.

my goodness. it's a funny scene.. it gives you more information about the characters..

i'm SOOO glad i don't think about this shit while i'm watching a movie.

hell.. why did tj millers character have a beer.. it had nothing to do with the plot.

why did tessa have girlfriends?.. it had nothing to do with the plot

why were bumblebee and drift fighting.. it had nothing to do with the plot

you do understand that this is a movie.. not EVERYTHING needs to have something to do with the plot.

plus, when you daughter is 17 dating a 20 year old.. that's worse than your daughter is dating someone your own age. when you're that young, those years make a bigger difference than if they were 22 and 25. and if you don't understand that, too bad.. but everyone in the theater i was in found that scene funny, and understood it.

14. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    All should have been edited out, not sure how that helps your point.

15. janeDoe001

News Credits:
    He's trying to say that these characters had lives and people they interacted with before they met a Transformer.

Tessa has school friends. Cade had an employee/partner/family friend.

And because the Autobots were being hunted, tensions ran high and every little thing could get on anyone's nerves, even the thought of someone you believe is unqualified to lead steps up to the reigns when the big boss is MIA.

jD001

16. imranbecks

imranbecks Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was just for comic relief. I'm sure by now we all know how Michael Bay does his movies. He tends to have random comic reliefs here and there in the most awkward moments in all his movies.

17. janeDoe001

News Credits:
    That and Shane was probably preparing to meet Cade anyway.

jD001

18. iconbot

iconbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I couldn't help but think there was some father/daughter incest relationship going on. Their relationship seems very creepy.

19. Tytus

Tytus Well-Known Member

Product placement. This movie was a huge commercial. That's pretty typical of these TF movies and is expected, but the amount of time they spent pandering to the Chinese audience was annoying.

What the fuck? That's all in your own head dude. He's just a protective dad, plain and simple.

20. ironguymanpie

ironguymanpie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I found it funny that he kept a copy of the law in his wallet