Weijiang "Computron" combiner

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by vproject, Sep 20, 2017.

1. robh

robh Decepticon

Funny, but yeah.. I think this is the first combiner I've seen where I prefer the alt modes. Not feeling the combined mode in the grey prototype. Maybe it's the face..? I dunno. I do like the idea of splitting the arms and having two bots make the torso. It makes for a well-proportioned gestalt, that's for sure.

2. Turnman

Turnman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They could say it's supposed to be Cheetor for all I care. Cool looking robot with cool transformation is double cool in my book.

• Like Like x 2
  3. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OMG I am so stoked for this set.

I've been collecting this series since the Green Jet Team (Skipped the 'Construction Bots...not TF'y enough), and this has got to be the best looking one yet in all 3 configurations.

I liken these guys to 80's Godaikin with G1 TF Styling and G2 TF articulation. If that particular blend of alchemic elements sounds like something you might enjoy, these things will not disappoint.

They've been using this basic 5-man configuration since the Police set (and hence the cross compatibility), and it really makes for a lovely profile. I haven't tried cross-swapping arms and torsos between sets yet...but given that Fire and Police are retools...and these guys are being promoted to scramble with them....there's some crazy "roll your own combiner" potential here.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Was Fire King any good? I don't hear much about him. Interested in hearing about the engineering. I do like the idea conceptually of just blank new TFs with no backstory that we can use to crowd fill or just make up our own little headcanons for.

5. mwm

mwm Well-Known Member

Looking at it, it looks more like it's Scattershot (Scatternot?) who splits in half to become the arms, with Strafe and Lightspeed as the torso. As others have said, this won't be Computron in my collection, but I could see adding it as a new combiner. Maybe one the Decepticons built based on schematics for the Technobots or something.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Meh

7. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

It's good, but not a lot of articulation. and it's not a TF. Just a combining Robot.

8. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sure, but if I squint real hard and drink heavily, I can PRETEND he's a TF. :D 

9. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Let me break down my general impression of the figures from this line I've played with so far:

80's Godaikin-
    Big, heavy (die cast), clunky. Transformations that WILL hurt your hands from joint stiffness and excessive-force-requirements. The above married with tiny fragile details (antennae and the like, occasionally key parts)- I've head one head break. There are reasons why this kind of thing went out of style...but damn it's satisfying and nostalgic.

with G1 TF Styling-
    Realistic and detailed vehicle modes (Computron here is obviously not realsitic, but the detail level remains). Robot modes that look very ROBOT'y. Visors, gun hands, wheel feet, unconcentional body lay outs.

and G2 TF articulation-
    Just as it sounds. Basic levels of articulation present more or less across the board. Where sacrifices need to be made for stability or transformation, they're made. Where extra articulation comes as a bonus from some other design element, they leverage it. Not much more, not much less.

They're just not *like* other figures out there, no body in 3P or in HasTakTom land are doing anything in this style. Even in more traditional "mecha"-ville from what I've seen the current focus is on detail and function. This kind of gigantic heavy playable stuff is just kind of unique.

10. breaux man

breaux man I'm Me

11. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

Wait, what?
    [looks again]
    Huh. The arms, and at least the front part of the gun for the combined mode. I'm not sure if the rest of the gun is from him or from someone else. And Strafe is the lower torso with Lightspeed at the top....

I'm still not sure about some of the choices made on the individual figures, but overall, this set is starting to grow on me.

12. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Whatever rocks your boat. :) 

As long as you're happy with it. :thumb 

13. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

It's sweet for the engineering. It has a great look (very very nice futuristic alt modes).

But it's not computron. Even if that is the intended homage, it is NOT computron. If the price is cheap enough, it is fodder for an AMAZING custom. The only question is who should get it? New Decepticon or New Autobot team?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Kudos for making a combiner without kibble, even if feet and hands clearly suffer from the decision. It looks way better than the fake defensor and is better proportioned than CW combiners, but they took too many liberties to meme me use it as my computron. As an original character, maybe...

15. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    It's... Different, I'll give it that.
    It's in a sort of gray area for me. I don't hate it, but I don't think I like it enough to merit a purchase.

16. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Their fake Defensor was terrible

17. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy shit I love this.

I never got Fire King because he never quite did it for me, but they appear to have upped their game with this guy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but this looks more like an 'original' take on an combiner.

19. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, the alt modes are clearly Computron-inspired, but it's more of an homage than a rip-off. Sort of WeiJiang's The Orville to Hasbro's Star Trek. So, it's not wrong to call it Computron I don't think but it's also doing it's own thing at the same time.

• Like Like x 2
  20. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

:lol  True. Nice analogy.
    Hey some people might like that

• Like Like x 1