Weijiang "Computron" combiner

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by vproject, Sep 20, 2017.

1. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros TEAM MONKEY PANTS FOREVER

That's the weirdest part to me: we've got Nosecone looking perfect G1, Scattershot and Lightspeed looking pretty close, and then they reversed Afterburner (blue being the compliment of orange) and decided to make Strafe as ugly as humanly possible.

"Hey guys, have you heard of the 40% rule? If we fuck up 2 out of 5, it's not IP theft."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm surprised by all the "Strafe" hate, especially since he's my favorite one of the bunch. :lol 

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I actually really like Strafe. He's maybe the most all-around solid of the group. The popsicle-orange is a bit much... a slightly more muted orange would have gone nicely with the cream-colour on his arms.

The other thing about this Strafe is that he's often mistransformed... his "crotch" doesn't get fully folded away, so it throws off his proportions. His head's a little big, it's true, but the double-hinge on his neck joint means his head has a nice range for posing.

I've actually taken to swiveling his ankles so his feet are reversed. It doesn't look as smooth, but somehow the flow of his feet is better like that... less flat-footed.

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Ah, just watched a vid and saw the real Strafe colors. I didn't realize they had changed him back from that hideous orange and bright blue in the pics they were showing. That was the monstrosity I was referring to: he looked like a Dallas Cowboys football helmet puked on him. Much better now, although still bizarrely far from G1 and thus supporting my 40% theory, lol

5. octobotimus

octobotimus Decepticon Intelligence

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can someone get a picture of his sword being wielded WJ's predaking?

6. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tracking says my Calculation King is in Chicago as of yesterday. On its way to Michigan!

• Like Like x 2
  7. SMOG

I can get you a picture of that, but to be clear, WJ Predaking can't hold that sword properly. The articulated fingers are too weak, and there's no tab to fit into the slot on the palm for stability.

Mine is holding the sword currently because I swapped in a Hasbro fist to do it.

zmog

8. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz DIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Working on it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Robogeek28

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My tracking hasn't updated since the 4th. :( 

10. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have to wonder if WJ is going the route that BMB did with their skittles OS PotP Dinobots, and trying to get people to double dip on the molds. I'm sure they know a proper Technobot color scheme would sell way better.

11. SMOG

Part of me wouldn't be surprised. I doubt that they're skirting legalities at this point, since it's an all-original mold, and 3rd Party companies are much more aggressive in chasing Hasbro-accurate decos.

Or maybe they just want to drive home the point that this is an original product... that, you know... is named directly after the Japanese version of Computron. :) 

On the topic of differences and legalities, it is interesting to note that WJ appears to have very slightly retooled every single piece on their Predaking set. I feel like that must be a legal consideration.

zmog

12. SMOG

As promised, here are some pics of WJ Predaking holding the WJ Computron sword. Important to note that I'm using the Hasbro hand to grip the sword. It isn't a strong grip, but it fits... it's completely impossible to hold it with the WJ hand.

I also think it's a good idea to mention that the shoulder ratchets on my WJ Predaking were barely strong enough to hold the sword for these poses. The ratchets aren't super strong, so the additional weight of the sword can cause the arm to drop at any second.

ALSO... note that when you break this sword into its component weapons, the WJ Predacons will not be able to hold them because the sword uses 5mm pegs, and the pegs on WJ Predaking are slightly smaller (quite annoying).

Basically, this sword is only really good for the Hasbro POTP Predaking. The hand will grip it, the shoulder's strong enough, and the component weapons DO fit in the Hasbro hands.

WJ PRED 1.JPG WJ PRED 2.JPG WJ PRED 3.JPG WJ PRED 5.JPG WJ PRED 6.jpg

zmog

13. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Considering that pose where he has the sword point-down with his hands over the grip and pommel is exactly how I intend to display it, that works for me, lol

And our hands are totally different then...my WJ Predaking has super stiff fingers *shrug*

• Like Like x 1
  14. SMOG

The fingers on my WJ Predaking are quite firm as well, but it's still not enough. The weight of the whole sword acts as a lever against the hand, so I'll be really surprised if you can get any kind of upright sword grip. With a planted-sword pose, no problem... dynamic poses, not so much.

Otherwise, I think it's perfect for him. Big without being comically oversized... and also the blocky G1-style of it matches the Predacon set. The sword set that WJ released explicitly for this team is way too stylized and organic-looking to match the aesthetic.

I'll probably spray-paint the blade of my sword gold just to get a better match. :) 

zmog

15. The Happenin Rhinoceros

That makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

My plan, exactly ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  16. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I wish I could buy these figures separately. I really just want that pseudo-Nosecone as a standalone (favorite Technobot, had it as a kid, yadda yadda) but I don't really want to get the whole set for it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bacems

bacems Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Exact same here. I just want nosecone. And maybe the car. I just hope at some point a seller decides to sell them separately, especially considering these guys isn't even a box set. Each of them has their own box, which means it was meant to be sold separately.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Robogeek28

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aren't these being sold separately on Ebay?

• Like Like x 1
  19. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter