Wei Jiang drama thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ToyAnatomy, Jun 3, 2020.

1. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    TW is pure 3rd party, no KO. Guess the Zeta guys got out at the right time. Seems TW was a sinking ship from the get-go.

I'd say DX9 made the best AOE/TLK Optimus.

• Like Like x 1
  2. A Good Noodle

A Good Noodle “We’re werewolves, not swear-wolves”

Really weird since their BB Prime was all original. They didn't have any 1:1 KO's

3. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    You mean them being targeted? Most likely Paramount's doing.

4. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    can’t quite recall which one your thinking of.

there is the unique toys one (which a lot of people think is best) and the one from that short lived company that also did Dino. He had beautiful paint aps, but lots of other issues. I can’t remember another and a search just now didn’t clarify for me.

don’t get me wrong, several other companies have delivered great movie 3P toys (unique toys especially), but toy world had a great combination of the most characters coming (I’m referring to ones with actual prototypes revealed- not the zillion characters they claimed were coming), strong designs and fantastic paint aps.

wonder if there is any chance any of this stuff will see the light if day or if it’s totally over (assuming this report is correct).

• Like Like x 1
  5. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    Sorry. DX9 is UT and I tend to forget to use the right name at the right time. I meant UT, thank you for the clarification and sorry for the confusion.

Alien Attack is the name of the company you're thinking of with Dino. (Another KFC brand.) I had that Optimus... It had potential, but the complexity was awful and the plastic quality didn't stand the test of time.

As for the unmade designs... I don't know if TW will sell those designs to another company or just throw in the towel, but it's probably best (for them) to let the dust settle.

You can thank Zeta and their Unicron for some of this. It doesn't help that Wei Jiang decided to KO Hot Toys... The whole thing is a mess.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SelectedLime375

SelectedLime375 Luna1 Matrix Magic

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Aw man. I'd just recently found out about ToyWorl's Prime when I saw a transformation video. I had to put in a preorder (@Chosen Prime) immediately because it looked like a great transformation. What are the odds of more details getting out? Would The Chosen Prime ever get enough information to cancel the preorders or will it just sit there unfulfilled (wouldn't be their fault, obviously)?

7. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    At this point I hope its their BB prime purely so we can actually get knight prime out. Why the fuck would they go after it tho? neither are anywhere near close to anything official.

• Like Like x 3
  8. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    Intellectual property.

Now if they're starting to actively go after that then 3P could be in trouble in general. But I'd wait to call that one until something other than really major characters get taken down.

9. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    Paramount owns those designs. Disney did it, now Paramount will be compelled to. I wouldn't be surprised if both companies forced Hasbro to be on board with this. In the US you have to protect your assets, such as in these cases, or you can lose 'em. (It's all legalese, way above any pay grade I might've had, but that's the basic gist of it.)

It's like dominoes, though. One falls, the rest will go with it in time. Where do they decide enough is enough? Just this and possibly another figure or their entire design portfolio? Hasbro has looked the other way for over a decade, now, all of a sudden this is happening. Makes me think they're along for the ride due to outside forces. Or they were playing the long game waiting to get enough to destroy these companies. (I'm leaning towards ride-along.)

• Like Like x 1
  10. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    May have been a combination of not caring and not knowing how to proceed since this was all happening in China. I'm honestly surprised China is addressing this now given their deteriorating relations with much of the western world at the moment. Maybe it's easy low hanging fruit to try to get some of the tariff's taken away.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    That is absolutely possible and a good point. It's been said that money with the right politician makes the world go 'round over there, so I'm wondering if someone paid to have those wheels greased, or if Disney brought so much unwanted attention that both Paramount and Hasbro were all like "Okay. Our turn."

• Like Like x 2
  12. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Still guys, the report is that they went after only 1 Optimus. Why only 1 and not like WJ where they took everything? That means they either went after BB prime which makes sense since it’s current, or they went after bay’s old retired and not as profitable design which makes a lot less sense.

TW also recently posted images of their small ww2 figures. So they seem to still exist.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TakeoTakeda

TakeoTakeda Member

Yes, you are right. At the moment, they are only after a single type of Optimus Prime, which supposed (rumored) to be the BB Optimus Prime due to Voice Over used by TW for Deluxe Version. However, we are still waiting for official news. Stay tune!

• Like Like x 8
  14. Dutchy79

Dutchy79 Well-Known Member

So what is it ???
    22 hrs ago they posted it was NON TF related and now 6 hrs ago they post this.

15. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Ohhhh. That makes a lot of sense. Did they take actual audio from the movies? A bit foolish if so. Most third parties are probably good and safe in their legal grey area so long as they don't do stuff like that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Could have been two, completely unrelated raids. We got news of the first one and just assumed, but maybe it was the Toyworld one they were talking about? Not really sure.

Weird that they're going after just the one item. While an Optimus Prime being targeted makes sense, why not grab everything else? Unless this single factory made just that figure (the compartmentalized?). But that's a lot of "I'm talking out of my butt." It could be China being VERY specific about what they will and won't enforce. We really don't know right now.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  17. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What's their weibo?

18. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    Rust in piece Toyworld. I guess karma came full circle. Can't really say I'll miss'em and their 32 recolors of Devastator.

19. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, I was just looking at the front page for TW Constructor and came across this pic:

claws.jpg

Yikes! What does this guy shave his nails into claws? Maybe it's all for the best!

• Like Like x 4
  20. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Doing figures for characters in upcoming big budget movies (or really, just movie Prime and Bumblebee) is just too high profile for 3rd party to safely dabble in. They should stick to properties and characters that are mostly or functionally abandoned or at least not a major focus. Icarus and wax wings and whatnot.