Wei Jiang drama thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ToyAnatomy, Jun 3, 2020.

1. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

Read up... Some are just comparing it with Disney - especially when WJ copied HotToys Iron Man.

2. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Admittedly I've got issues with both, though I continue to consume products/services from both.

I think it's more a case of blaming Disney because The Mouse is a massive multi-tentacled eldritch market force, and Hasbro is small potatoes by comparison.

Disney kinda has a legal obligation to take action against IP infringement the same way Hasbro does. And given Wei Jiang wasn't even trying to be quiet about matters, they didn't just poke the bear, they poked the bear while clumsily riding around on a unicycle naked drizzled in berry sauce after having starved the bear for several days.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Atomic Tofu

Atomic Tofu Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    4:00!!!

4. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Glad to see a KO company get KO'd. Hasbro seems to be fine letting 3Ps exist in their own little pocket universe, but straight ripping off their figures and selling them is a line you can't cross. They had to act to protect their IP, and this action draws a clear distinction between what they will and will not look the other way on.

Reminds me also of how Zeta found themselves in the line of fire trying to leverage hype around HasLab Unicron to promote their own 3P offering. To the point where people on here were advocating for that instead of the Haslab project. Glad they got slapped around a bit.

If you only buy KOs, Hasbro loses nothing by shutting them down. You weren't buying their product before, and you won't be buying it now. If you threaten to stop buying Hasbro product because they took action against a KO company...cool, okay. Bye.

• Like Like x 11
  5. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Anime girl figs.

6. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    EVERY TF that has a fist or feet flip out from an arm or leg WILL be hollow inside. Sometimes they have flaps (earliest I can think of was G1 Stalker) but more often then not, they didn't. This has been so since G1. It's kinda ridiculous that you expect Masterpiece levels of extra parts and flaps on a 20-30$ Deluxe or Voyager. Extra parts and their assembly might seem like small potatoes to you, but when you manufacture a million toys of the same type, the costs increase would skyrocket. Hasbro could do it - and then you would get 35$ deluxes and 65$ Voyagers and 80$ Leaders, aka Takara's Seacons and Super Megatron and Star Convoy. Then your average toy collector would complain about costs and not buy it, only a few people would. Same as they did for the Seacons, basically making them "made to order" toys. Clearly, Hasbro cannot do that for their MAINLINE toys. I think this should be understandable... Yet people still do not get it.

• Like Like x 14
  7. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    let the man think whatever he wants , he had a rough day

• Like Like x 1
  8. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That scene still makes me laugh. After millions of years of war, where both sides have been killing each other indiscriminately, why is Wheeljack... erm, "Que" (what a terrible stupid name) expects mercy? Right after he handed a weapon to a human that got Starscream decapitated, I might add.
    I do wish Soundwave would have said "Mercy? Like the mercy Optimus showed to Demolishor? Don't make me laugh."

Because an upscaled KO company was shut down? I guess he must have started collecting recently or he would know upscaling was not invented by Weijiang. Heck during university back in 2002 or so I bought an upscaled G1 Dreadwind, for example. Trust me some other company will soon come along and continue the same from the newest molds.

Heck, I mean... Lepin was shut down and just resurrected itself under a new name to sell the same not-Lego stuff. It did not even last a month.

Hasbro: "Well clearly we can never please these people, so... who cares?"

Yet you expect Hasbro to invest time and money to create new molds with painstaking work that companies like Weijiang can KO, upscale, and sell for profit (that Hasbro won't see a dime of) to you?
    Wow, what upstanding morals. Spoken like a true Ferengi!

Because they would not want people to make money using their toys and photos of those toys? Oh indeed, what vile horrible people!!!
    ...Oh I guess you forgot Hasbro otherwise already released such a book. And Takara releases one such book EVERY YEAR...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    :cool: :cool: 

10. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

The starting has a decent clip of "Hasbro" asking two policemen to investigate WJ and describing the improvements WJ did. The policemen couldn't believe the KO was better.

The video matched pretty well, I must say.

From what he said, more (Chinese) fans are on the side on WJ than not.

11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

How can we win this fight when one of the two main factions in our favorite toyline are, essentially, space robo fascists?

Down with the Transformers!

12. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

there do seem to be some people in this thread you never see in other 3P threads here to do a victory dance? good for them they finally get to enjoy something other than just secretly fawning over toys they publically denounce? i mean we all know 3P should technically be illegal if you are obviously referencing trademarked characters (which btw doesn't stop shit tons of etsy sellers of anything from a darth vader face mask to t shirt sellers on various t shirt sites that i'm sure some of these 3P denouncers support), BUT we're talking KO and KO upsize here. granted there are improvements on most of their products and hasbro techncally doesn't compete with these guys (difference size classes, prices, etc) i can see why WJ is being nabbed. perhaps this would never have happened if the political climate were different also....who knows. that being said i better order that megamaster figure i been putting off buying (which BTW is a 3P product and not a KO ipsize of anything and is made by WJ) or else once stock dries up its over....

• Like Like x 3
  13. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    That bilibili video (https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV18i4y137js) had a funny comment.

Hasbro: "I... I want to report about KOs."
    Police: "Can you describe them?"
    Hasbro: "They are bigger, more diecast, more paint, better quality."
    Police: "Ok... what about the KOs?"
    Hasbro: "Those are the KOs..."

A fan-made video, dubbing over Stephen Chow's 'The Mermaid' for the intro skit (the rest is information about the raids, the gall of Black Apple presenting his M01 to the Takara designer, the proliferation of Wei Jiang and KOs in the markets. Hasbro/Takara were aware of them all along, but lately fans were pushing it. even the latest MPM reveals had people asking "hey xxx companies, do you see this? What you waiting for? etc etc and so Hasbro were provoked/had no choice but to do what Bandai did. But look at the price of the originals... can you really blame them? I am afraid for the future...)

• Like Like x 6
  14. Yohan PLMIXMB

Yohan PLMIXMB Not well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone want to sell a Thunder Leader Optimus?
    i was about to get one but i get lied

• Like Like x 1
  15. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    $999.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Interim Head Warehouse Spelunker

News Credits:
    Zeta was slapped so hard that they just released it under a different name and have preorders up for a second run, while the Haslab Unicron is still not close to market yet.

I am cool with Disney and Hasbro protecting their IP because they purchased and developed those brands, it is their right to do so. However, whole existence of the 3P and upgrade KO market is the result of Hasbro’s poor planning and neglect of their Transformers fans. They half-assed their products to make a quick buck and moved on. So

So to the HasBros trolling people in here to better their low self-esteem, I wouldn’t gloat so much. For every 1 WJ that Disney happened to shut down, 50 smarter smaller ones will pop up. As long as there is a substantial demand, there will be people willing to profit from it. So to the KO fans, don’t freak out.

I assure you that there are hungry people looking at this right now thinking, “So I can make $1.4 million just by reverse engineering toys and making some improvements?” Hasbro can thank Disney later for bringing the numbers into the light and spawning the next wave of KOers.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  17. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Let’s keep this thread civil. The poking back and fourth 3P vs Hastak needs to be done.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have read. People are blaming Disney, assuming this was triggered by the KO Iron Man. But it has been announced that the investigation was triggered by a complaint filed by Hasbro China.

19. Atomic Tofu

Atomic Tofu Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    Here's hoping, this move will be like how the U.S. flexed it's muscle and closed the Chinese Consulate in Houston (forgetting itself had consulates in foreign countries including China), and then China ordered closed the U.S. consulate in Chengdu. Maybe at some point the Chinese authorities will say, you know what, "F you guys" and let the games begin. hehe

BUT I don't know...the Mouse has a lot of throw around money, just a complete guess with no facts to back the numbers...but let's say Disney paid $100mil for an agency to do it...it just might regardless of political tensions.

20. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Hasbro makes Marvel figs.

• Like Like x 2