We were all wrong about TR Astrotrain's train mode!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Toa Maximus, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Toa Maximus

Toa Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey! So while I was looking up a Power Rangers toy, I saw something that struck me as odd when I saw this toy:
    [​IMG]

Looks kinda familiar right? Yeah it looks very close to Astrotrain's "Armored Train" mode! In fact, it even share's some of the same transformation. For those of you that forgot what his train mode looks like:
    [​IMG]

Just an observation, but it makes more sense than it trying to be something like this:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    What's the problem, he was always a cybertronian train. Maybe that should be the problem. His alt modes are cybertronian modes vs. earth modes.

BTW, the cybertronian train mode is also kind of consistant. Look at Energon Omega Supreme or the repaint for WFC OS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    Oh that is so cool!

4. MetalStorm

MetalStorm Click Click Boom!

That is cool, but I think I prefer him mimicking a Cybertronian/Human War Train.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

I would have much preferred a locomotive.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Isaac Hill

Isaac Hill Systems Analyst

Same here. The fun of G1 Astrotrain was that he juxtaposed an old-timey form of transportation with a futuristic one. Now that the space program's on the back burner, and there's talk of hyperloops and the like, a space shuttle seems more retro than a weird train.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

It burns me that TR Astrotrain and Blitzwing have worse Train/Tank modes than the G1 versions, that shouldn't happen.

Octane seems to be all good though.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Id say great find my friend cause that really sheds some light on this figure. I always thought this new mode TR astrotrain looked a bit werid.

9. BidoofdudeofOz

BidoofdudeofOz The Stench of Discovery

I don't have a problem with train mode. It looks a decent bit like a train and my Legends version has enough paint to pull it off well. Shuttle mode leaves a little less to be desired, just because the cockpit is so flat. Not bad at all though. Still great toy.

10. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This,

The train mode is okay, but it needs paint to fully realize. And the shuttle mode with a cockpit in the front unpainted and a transparent bridge in the back just doesn't work. Also, why do the arms just hang out and space ship mode. I was not happy, especially compared with the classics version.

11. Taureanstar

Taureanstar Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to express any opinion either way, I'm just curious - what is the argument the original post is making? That astrotrain is purposefully modeled after a power rangers toy and therefore a cybertonian mode? Can someone explain?

• Like Like x 2
  12. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

None of us know either...we're just playing along so he doesn't go off the rails entirely...

• Like Like x 5
  13. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

I realize the triple changer gimmick gets harder to do for more detailed/articulated figures that prioritize robot mode design.

I would get an Astrotrain without a shuttle mode if it had a quality steam engine alt mode. I wouldn’t even feel like it would be a sacrifice if the steam engine had retractable wings or wings that can be removed and transformed into tracks.

14. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

I just need an in universe reason Astrotrain reverted to Cybertonian Alt modes, I figure it has to with th whatever prompted him to become a headmaster, maybe he did a turn at the Headmaster planet or one of the other colony worlds where that technology had spread to?

15. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

With a new head, I'd be happy to have gotten Energon Omega Supreme repainted as Astrotrain.

The Titans version is too small and the robot mode is just bland.

16. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    I can't be objective about Astrotrain's train mode, because I had one as a kid, and yeah, to me the character's got a train mode that was anachronistic in the 80s, let alone now. It's like taking an important piece of silhouette kibble off a character's robot mode, doesn't feel like them to me.

I like the mold a lot though... that's why I love it as Sentinel Prime, I don't have any particular attachment to what his alt mode should be.

17. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I LOVE the TR line but Astrotrain was one of the biggest disappointments I had with it. Just a giant letdown of a figure.

The original Astrotrain was epic, just needed some extra articulation and it would have been a massive win.

18. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    I hear ya but take a look around! Blitzwing/Astrotrain were not unique in this regard. Early G1 figures were often essentially "perfect" in their alt modes! At the least, they were semi-scale (or SD) models of real world vehicles and objects.

19. Optimum Supreme

Optimum Supreme Go boom!

I don't see how this makes "us all" "wrong" about anything. He's an alien robot with a weird train as one of his alt modes. How is that "wrong" just because you can find some vaguely similar toy in another line? I don't particularly like TR Astrotrain's alt modes, but they are what they are. Whatever.

20. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yes, hail G1!!