We want Transitron

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by createtime, May 30, 2015.

1. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, for one, is that even a real prop or is it cgi? I'm having trouble telling. Second, if it was a one-off prototype that they made, it might not be built in such a way that mass production is easy without significant re-engineering, in which case a business case would have to be made for doing so. Lastly, there's no way to be sure that a toy version of Transitron would not STILL be very expensive compared to other, much simpler toy story toys, and thus, might not fit into where Disney wants to take the Toy Story brand in terms of merchandising.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  2. createtime

createtime Well-Known Member

It looks pretty real to me. What's a one-off prototype? How hard can re-engineering be? OK it would probably still be expensive, but at least we would find it in stores. If we can show Disney enough fans that want this toy to exist it might encourage them enough to make it.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    A one-off prototype (as I'm describing it) would be something hand-made, as in the stuff you see here in the radicons forum. It could maybe have parts taken from other toys, or it could be built from scratch. Given Disney's resources, either would be possible from my perspective. How hard could re-engineering be? It could be extremely expensive, possibly as expensive as re-designing the entire toy from the beginning (and possibly even harder, because it would have to LOOK like the toy that may have never really been meant to be built). Joints, tolerances, part sizes, paint, sticker and molding details, all of these things can be very tricky to get right in designing a toy for mass-production, and there are strict engineering limitations on what can, and can't be done at a given price point.

In terms of "okay, it will be expensive, but it will still be in stores", I don't think you're quite understanding how business works. If a toy is expensive to design and produce, that increases the cost that needs to be recouped by the producer. As I understand it, Mattel (and some other companies in Japan, but I believe Mattel has an exclusive contract for Disney toys in North America beyond a few exceptions) pays Disney for a license to make Disney toys, and then they handle the design, production, and marketing of those toys (someone else out there may be able to correct me on the finer details of this arrangement).

That means they have to bring in enough money to pay for all of those costs, including the license they pay to Disney. This means that if they put more money into designing a figure, they either have to sell more of that figure, or sell that figure for more money. A character like Transitron is going to have a limited appeal, given he's fairly obscure compared to the main characters, and other Disney characters as a whole. That means Mattel probably can't expect to sell a lot of these with confidence, and even by focusing on the rabid fans of Transitron, there's only so much they can charge for a Transitron figure before people just aren't willing to pay that much money. In the end, it may just not make business sense for them to make one like you're asking for.

The other thing to keep in mind, and this is where rallying collectors with things like petitions can get very important, is that collectors make up a small portion of overall toy sales, as much as we may believe otherwise. For Transformers, most estimates I've heard place collectors at around 10-30% of purchases of the toys, with the rest being children. It is hard for a business to justify putting a disproportionate amount of resources towards catering to a demographic that accounts for around only a quarter of sales.

4. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I think that "prop" is not actually a prop. It looks like animation to me.

5. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    It's all cgi...just VERY good cgi....and it needs to have a toy made! Especially as a classic robot fan

6. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
  7. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    I would love a Transitron toy and have wanted one since I saw the special. It's a lovely tribute/homage to combining super robot toys from the 70's/80's and yet still totally looks like its own thing. Considering Bandai has made other Disney toys, and even a Chogokin Mickey combiner, perhaps one day they'll make a chogokin Transitron.

8. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

If whoever owns Voltron right now would be down to make it then sure why not.

He was pretty much Vehicle Voltron anyhow.

9. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Kinda cool but yet its kinda too generic that I'm not really that interested. He's pretty much a Super Sentai level combiner.

10. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    He shares commonalities in the same way that most combining super robot toys do, but that's it. There's absolutely nothing about Transitron that would require any kind of Voltron licensing.

11. Naztok

Naztok will work for gold chrome

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The closest I can think of would be God Zenon, atleast from the waist down.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It Can't find that page.

13. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Yeh that's the only one I can think of where the drill goes down into the knee joints but its still quite different. I doubt its a exact match for any super robot but its not really all that unique either.

14. Naztok

Naztok will work for gold chrome

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe they should've called it Paradoxitron?

15. H.E.X.-BRAVE

H.E.X.-BRAVE Well-Known Member

i think somebody would chop-off their own organs to make Transitron its own series a reality thus making it some sort of spiritual successor to Big Hero 6 in Pixar's works based off Japanese super heroes, & to fit in with the theme, a more mature audience based tone of story telling as to make fun off the genre itself that is probably the same level as the Incredibles or something :lol 

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Goddamn I would love that.

spinoffs of the toys based on their franchises is a great idea like that Buzz Lightyear of Star Command cartoon.

That show was great.

17. createtime

I just really love the size and color scheme of this character. Disney made toys from the Toy Story Time Forgot special. Why couldn't they've made toys from the Toy Story Of Terror special as well? I know it might seem impossible and too expensive for it to happen, but it doesn't hurt to at least ask and try to make it happen.

18. createtime

You're right. I've learned that it is just CGI from the people that made that commercial.

19. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Transformer toys in Toy Story is the best thing ever for me.

20. createtime

I can't believe that commercial they made for Transitron was just for entertainment. What a rip.