Customs: water-slide decals help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by LiquiD, Jul 24, 2007.

1. LiquiD

LiquiD Well-Known Member

i'm trying to get some graphics to flare up the alt mode of an alternator custom i'm making and i was wondering what was up with water-slide decals. what exactly are they, how do you make them, can you use images you already have? what are some other possibilities for making tuner type graphics? the mold i'm using is the WRX. thanks alot!

2. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Water slide decals are the tye of decals most model kits come with. You cut them out of the sheet, and dip them in water. The water softens up the solvent, and lets it slide of the backing paper. You slide it onto where you want it, and let it dry.

Most hobby shops should have blank decal paper you can buy for ink jet or laser printers. You have your choice of white or clear backer. The ink jet decals have to be sealed with clear coat, after they're printed.

You can use any graphic you have, by opening it up in a graphics program, and printing it onto the decal paper at the size you need.

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Water slide decals are the tye of decals most model kits come with. You cut them out of the sheet, and dip them in water. The water softens up the solvent, and lets it slide of the backing paper. You slide it onto where you want it, and let it dry.

Most hobby shops should have blank decal paper you can buy for ink jet or laser printers. You have your choice of white or clear backer. The ink jet decals have to be sealed with clear coat, after they're printed.

You can use any graphic you have, by opening it up in a graphics program, and printing it onto the decal paper at the size you need.

4. LiquiD

LiquiD Well-Known Member

thanks for the info! what do you mean they have to be sealed with a clearcoat? you mean before they're applied? now i need to find a hobby shop, though this stuff should be available online right?

the white or clear backer, is that the sheet the decal comes off of, or is it the surface the decal is actually printed on?

5. LiquiD

LiquiD Well-Known Member

thanks for the info! what do you mean they have to be sealed with a clearcoat? you mean before they're applied? now i need to find a hobby shop, though this stuff should be available online right?

the white or clear backer, is that the sheet the decal comes off of, or is it the surface the decal is actually printed on?

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

They have to be sealed after they're printed, but before they're applied. Otherwise the water would wash the ink off.

The backer is the part the decal is actually printed on.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they carry they Testors decal paper in the isle with the model paint. Online hobby shops carry it, too.

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

They have to be sealed after they're printed, but before they're applied. Otherwise the water would wash the ink off.

The backer is the part the decal is actually printed on.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they carry they Testors decal paper in the isle with the model paint. Online hobby shops carry it, too.

8. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

if you get a clear backed one make sure your applying the decal to light colored paint (white) other wise get white backed paper because printers that "normal" people have do not have the ability to print out the color white.

And you have to seal it because there is the backing, the decal paper itself and the ink from your printer. If it's an ink jet printer the moment you put your decal paper into the water hell will break loose and the image will smear into the water... BAD.
    (even if you have a laser printer I would seal it anyways)
    Plus I would also put a layer of clear over the whole part after putting the decal on to protect it from...the elements.

Good luck

Edit: crap, beaten to the punch, oh well

9. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

if you get a clear backed one make sure your applying the decal to light colored paint (white) other wise get white backed paper because printers that "normal" people have do not have the ability to print out the color white.

And you have to seal it because there is the backing, the decal paper itself and the ink from your printer. If it's an ink jet printer the moment you put your decal paper into the water hell will break loose and the image will smear into the water... BAD.
    (even if you have a laser printer I would seal it anyways)
    Plus I would also put a layer of clear over the whole part after putting the decal on to protect it from...the elements.

Good luck

Edit: crap, beaten to the punch, oh well

10. LiquiD

LiquiD Well-Known Member

alright, sweet, just one more question, what kinda clear coat should i use? yeah i was gonna clear coat it once applied, the clear coat b4 makes perfect sense now that i understand how they work.

11. LiquiD

LiquiD Well-Known Member

alright, sweet, just one more question, what kinda clear coat should i use? yeah i was gonna clear coat it once applied, the clear coat b4 makes perfect sense now that i understand how they work.

12. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Just about any spray clear coat should work. I started out using a Testors decal kit, so I still have the "sealer" that came with it. It smells exactly like their spray enamal clear coats. I've heard of others having good luck using Krylon clear spray.

If you order it online, the place will probably have a decal sealer, as well.

Clear coating after decals have been aplied is always a good idea.

13. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Just about any spray clear coat should work. I started out using a Testors decal kit, so I still have the "sealer" that came with it. It smells exactly like their spray enamal clear coats. I've heard of others having good luck using Krylon clear spray.

If you order it online, the place will probably have a decal sealer, as well.

Clear coating after decals have been aplied is always a good idea.