Water-Cooled PC build advice

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Starscream600, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

Hey guys, I'm going to be changing a new computer soon
    (If you have to know, it's because my old rig was still rocking an Intel Pentium 4.)
    I want it to be a gaming rig. I've looked at a few gaming PC builds on youtube and most search results turn up rigs which have overclocked CPUs and watercooling systems.

So after that long-winded story, here's my question: What type of hardware or gear will I need to build a watercooled gaming rig? If anyone has a watercooled system, pics would really help in the explanation. Many thanks guys.

PS: If anyone is gonna say check youtube, don't. I've already watched some videos and they don't give a full and complete guide on buying and building it.

2. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't have a water cooled system but to help you more I would check out CPU magizine and there forum for help. Heres the link my friend for more help to show you what you need and ask questions.

ComputerPowerUser.com Digital Edition

3. Starscream600

Cool. Cheers m8. :) 

4. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Have you thought of going the mineral oil route? Friend of mine has his PC submerged in a fish tank full of non-conductive horse laxative and overclocked the hell out of it. Thing is a freakin beast!

5. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I have just a regular aftermarket air cooler and a highly ventilated case, and my i2500k is overclocked from 3.3 gigs to 4.3 for about a year now, low temps and no problems. Watercooling isn't necessarily needed for good gaming systems.

6. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Check out frozenpc.com. They've got a lot of stuff for water cooling. It also depends on what route you want to go. I know there are quite a lot of closed loop systems available that cool just the CPU. I mean are you only wanting to cool just that, or go further with a custom set up that also cools the graphics card and ram? Going that far isn't really necessary with all the power you can get out of a stock personal build. I can't think of any games out now or coming in the near future that would require you to juice the hell out of good pc.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Mineral oil might be a bit of a pain to clean up if it leaks, but at least it won't short your components, and it still has a pretty good cooling capacity. It will require different equipment though.

Or you could just submerge your entire computer in cooking oil.

8. Starscream600

This. I'm just looking to cool the CPU so a closed loop system will do. I'm not as hardcore as to have 4 graphics card at once.

If I'm not wrong, the i2500k is able to be overclocked to 4.7 GHz the last time I checked. There's one guy on youtube who clocked his CPU to around 4.8 GHz or something, so watercooling there is necessary.

:lol 

9. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're interested in water cooling but don't want to jump right into it you can always get something like a kuhler 920 waterblock. It's basically a heat sink and attached radiator w/ fans that you can just pop right onto the cpu in place of a standard heat sink. It's all self contained and they actually work pretty good

I have seen more advanced users actually rip off the heat sink on a graphics card and put one of these directly onto the gpu as well, though that can be expensive if you mess it up.

The nice thing about these preconfigured waterblocks though is that there's no extra hardware required, and they only cost about 90$

10. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I have a Corsair H50 that I've been very happy with on my I7, albeit I don't do overclocking.

11. Starscream600

Cool. I'll make a note to check that out.

Yeah, some hardcore users totally watercool their GPU, CPU and RAM. Hardcore gamers.

12. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    If you're not looking for hardcore hardware and such, why bother with water cooling in the first place?

13. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw pics of some guy frying chicken and potatoes doing that.

Kool-Aid not included.

14. Starscream600

Because I want to get the best performance possible by overclocking the CPU to it's extreme and therefore the heat produced needs to be cooled quickly and not by conventional fans.

15. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

How the fu.......
    Where do you even get THAT much horse laxative?!?!!??!!?
    Wait......I dont want to know..................

16. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    If that's the case, you'd be better off from a cost and maintenance standpoint in buying a better CPU, until you get to the top of the line. Unless you're talking about one of those systems with 4 video cards and massive power supplies and other huge, heat-generating objects, water cooling isn't really something that's worth the money and hassle in a lot of cases, except as a status symbol.

Look into a giant fan and/or heatsink as well. Even if you can keep the heat down, there are potential hazards in overclocking your CPU, how long are you planning on keeping this rig?

17. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    What Aernaroth said. Overclocking for gaming isn't going to do very much. If you want a powerful gaming rig you're better off with a good cpu and a crossfire/SLI setup with two graphics cards. Yes, you can bottleneck the performance by having a poor cpu. However, the higher end i-series chips from intel (200-500 dollar range) are very capable processors and shouldn't really require oc'ing unless you just want to learn how to do it. In which case the corsair closed loop systems would be the way to go. They include the water block/pump that goes on the chip, and a radiator with fans. Not to mention they're cheaper than doing a custom set up. Once you add in the cost of a pump, radiator, fittings, tubing, reservoir, water block, fans, and coolant you've already easily exceeded the cost of a closed loop system that would do the same thing.

18. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Simple non-gross way of getting it. It's readily available at any veterenary supply store in gallon jugs. It's basically mineral oil. Liquid that does not conduct electricity, but will keep submerged computer components nice and cool.

19. Starscream600

I expect it to run for about 3 years or so. I want it to last as long as possible without requiring major maintenance (Like replacing any components)

Still OC improves some of the computer's performance. But can anyone explain the meaning of a closed loop system? Sorry for being a noob, but if I'm not wrong it's a watercooling system contained within the tower right?

20. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ah. Nice and simple option. And mineral oil is probably the best method for cooling. Could be messy, but if done right, it'll keep everything in working order.

I'm generally a laptop user now (even though I said I wouldn't be) but if I ever do get another desktop, I'd like to try oil cooling.