Wasn't there a US release of Hybrid Style Optimus?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by reluttr, Aug 15, 2017.

1. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After seeing the preorder for the new Hot Soldiers Ironhide go up I decided to look into getting a Hybrid Style Optimus to go with him and soundwave.

But here is the thing... I swear I saw hybrid style optimus for sale at my local walmart back in the day. I could had swore it even came with a g2 style soundpack thing that clipped onto the trailer. I remember even wanting to buy it until I saw the price tag. lol

But everywhere I have checked doesn't mention a US release. Tfwiki, TFU, etc, they only talk about the Japanese release. So whats up with that?

Did anyone actually buy the US release if there was one?

2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hybrid Style? It was released in Canada, not the US. That's still North America, which is probably where the disconnect comes in. And there's been no news or movement on it, since. It showed up at Walmart Canada (and the .com) and was overpriced, then disappeared. Until you brought it up, I forgot all about it.

When you say back in the day, what do you mean? Because if you're talking the 90s, then yeah, there was G2 Optimus which was a repaint of G1 Optimus. It came with a battery powered voice box that attached to the trailer. That was 1992 or 1993, you're confusing the two, I think. There was also a reissue around 2010 or so that came to Walmart US, but it wasn't Hybrid style, it was the G1/G2 mold.

3. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, this was defiantly around the time Cybertron was out. It's really weird... I wonder if my store in the US accidentally got one of the Canadian ones?

I remember it ringing up for like 50-80 bucks at the time. XD

4. Daimao

Daimao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There was a Year of the Rooster Platinum version using that mold but that was released within the last year. The G2 bits came with a black repaint, you had to mix n match pieces to make a G2 Hybrid Prime.

5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's the original release of the Hybrid Convoy. The store you saw it in probably imported them for sale, but I can guarantee you it was not Walmart. It was some other store. Takara Tomy doesn't ship directly to US retailers and Walmart is not one of their customers. Your memories are getting smushed together, but you're somewhat on the right track. Hopefully, the clarification now makes it all make sense.

6. DesertDog

DesertDog Gone Fission’.

News Credits:
    In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Just looked, as of right now it's still available for $160 CAD, which is around $125 USD. Either way it's more than I'm willing to pay for that tiny thing, regardless of how much I actually want it.

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The only Western release of the figure was the Platinum Edition "Year of the Rooster" version that showed up at the Walmart Canada website last year, and only there. No store sighting, no listing at any other Western retailer.

In fact, it actually looks like he's still in stock.
    https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/transformers-generations-platinum-edition-optimus-prime/6000196611276

There was no reported Western release ten years ago when he first came out in Canada. Either your memories are warped, or your store was really weeeeeird.

EDIT: He's also listed at the Amazon India website, but those retailer links don't lead to any actual product listings.
    Transformers|Transformers Generations Platinum Edition Optimus Prime Year of the Rooster