Was transformers 3 as bad as critics say it was?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DJPrime39, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shoulda been called "Transformers: Sam and Carly". The least amount of character development and screen time for the main bots of all the movies. No point in megs even being there. It was terrible. At least the fights in the second were great even if the story wasn't. In this the story wasn't great (and full of even more hole) and the robots and fights were less then spectacular when they did show.

I did like the twist with Sentienal and shockwave would have been cooler had he more of an impact then the worm thing and more screen time.

Just seemed like Bay didn't care this go round. I can see why he was prepping excuses now.

If you liked the second you'll no doubt like this one but I have a feeling this may bomb or get close to it. Might be wrong but it just didn't leave an impact on me. Just all around dull and full of holes and wtf moments (I'm still wondering why the red head kept looking into the office then just disappeared at Sam's final interview).

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The Movie is terrible but enjoyable terrible.

3. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

go watch it...F the Critics...

4. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

You're aware that Rottentomatoes is just a meta-score average of various critic scores, correct?

*looks at 36% critic approval rate* *looks 2 inches over on the screen at the 90% audience approval rate*

Yeah. That's what I thought...

5. thien425

thien425 Well-Known Member

Couldn't help but notice the 90% from the audience..... nice try though :) 

6. thien425

Well at the MTV Movie Awards Justin Beiber won the most jaw-dropping scene in a film and it was up against Inception, so i wouldn't give your hopes up.

7. hunterelf

hunterelf Decepticon

it's just one of those movies, you just have to see it to "complete" the series.
    it's not good, but it's a sh!t sandwich that we all have to take a bite

8. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    Yes, it's a terrible mess of a movie. Good riddance to the Bay era.

9. thien425

I'm sorry to everyone who grew up around G1 and all of that good stuff, but these movies are for children and teenagers, who don't have the right mindset to sit through a movie with an engaging plot. I like the movie, but i am also 16 but i have seen a LOT of movies and know how to judge them in an un-biased way. I heard kids and teenagers clapping and laughing throughout the movie, while the adults occasionally laughed at the jokes. I fully intend on getting this movie on blu-ray because in my own opinion it is a great movie, it doesn't have to make sense for it to be a good movie, you just have to enjoy it.

10. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This. Except that I'd add that it did make sense and it had a really good story. I'll be picking up the inevetible Blu-Ray trilogy pack.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Generalize much? I too loved this movie, but I do have the right mindset to sit through a movie with an engaging plot, and half of my movie library probably includes more insightful cinema than yours. I just choose not to watch them all the time.

Don't generalize people for their desire to just watch a summer popcorn movie, and imply that it is an indicator that they don't know how to appreciate finer things. You might be surprised at how wrong you are. :) 

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  12. Autobrand

Autobrand Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm 34, grew up around G1, and I enjoyed the hell out of all three movies. I'll be taking my kids to DOTM tomorrow because they really enjoyed the other two movies.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice, you have an excuse to watch it again. I need to find a friend to take, or simply just go watch it again, lol

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The audience approval rate is the most unreliable number on Rotten Tomatoes. You have no way to know why someone voted like they did.

At least with the critics score you have their review about what they did or did not like about a movie so you can decided if you agree or disagree with those critics.

15. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

.....clearly you do not understand what a meta-score is.

The %rotten on RottenTomatoes is a meta-score of professional reviews. That means that each review's score is first judged to be "fresh" (2.5+stars, thumbs up, etc) or "rotten" (2.0 stars or less, thumbs down, etc), and then added to the database as either a + or a -. Then the ratio of + to - is done to get the %rotten.

One look at how that is calculated immediately shows an issue: Since RottenTomatoes reduces each reviewer's score to a + or - before entering it into their database, tons of information is lost. A movie that had a lot of people rating it very close to average but maybe just a touch below could wind up with a HORRIBLE score, while another movie in the same situation that was just a tiny bit better could get an almost perfect score.

Meta-scores weighted in a binary fasion (+ or -, good or bad) are notoriously unreliable and statistically worthless, especially with such a small sample size.

Also, your statement about how the audience reaction is the least reliable is precisely the opposite of reality. The reason the audience reaction on Rotten Tomatoes is 90% positive is because 90% of audience members who voted enjoyed the movie. 90% of the people who chose to vote, voted positively. The deep, soul twisting reasons why they enjoyed the movie don't matter at all - they enjoyed it. The much greater number of people who vote on that compared to professional reviews means that the data set is inherently MORE reliable. And it's showing that the general population is disagreeing strongly with many critics....which is what this thread is about...

16. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    A Transformers fan forum is probably not the place to find an objective answer to your original question OP.

17. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

18. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    apparently leaving negative feedback about his "non review" results in your comments not being valid. since thats what the message i was sent said when it was moderated from the site.

all i said was:
    "whats the point in reviewing anything if its only going to be things you think you will enjoy?
    its ******ed hypocritical crap like that that gives you “reviewers” a bad name.

please stop “trying” to be a reviewer when you are obviously not one"

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I dunno if I'd take anyone younger than 11 or so to see this one mate, the other half of the moon is not the only thing that's dark about this movie.

Your call, your kids, just saying. Glad you enjoyed DotM though :) 

20. Sludge

Sludge Well-Known Member

News Credits:

:rock  WORD! Class Dismissed!