Was there anything good about Transformers Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by SpiraPhantom, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

Wow.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ultimaster09

Ultimaster09 waging a constant war against all hot rods

Dancing starscream 'nuff said

4. TheGoldenPenguin

TheGoldenPenguin In his backyard

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tf prime will always hold up as the best show for me. A good story, mostly good characters, and actual death. And the Wii game was even better, I would rather play it than smash.

• Like Like x 4
  5. PrimeSmokescreen 04

PrimeSmokescreen 04 Well-Known Member

Of course there is. Prime was better than most tf shows imo and the hate for it on this site is honestly mind boggling considering its praise literally everywhere else. My only guess is it's been an echochamber of hate for so long people have just accepted its shit because that's all they hear.

• Like Like x 5
  6. TonyStink

TonyStink AKA Deinotron the Terrible

YouTube (Legacy):
    It's far better than Energon, that's an achievement. It's well animated. Uh... more well written than Energon and Armada.

• Like Like x 3
  7. mixelpix

mixelpix TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    Yeah, I contributed to this project and am looking forward to its completion! Carlos also has plans for a follow-up fan movie after Galvatron's Revenge as well. :thumb 

If you're watching it for the first time like I did years after it had been on TV, the whole series is cool! Honestly, I think Season 1 was slow, and it got more interesting as it went. And don't miss out on the follow up movie "Predacons Rising". Cool stuff. The only other TF series I had watched before this was the original G1 American and Japanese series, and I think TF: Prime is heads above at least the American G1 series (all nostalgia for the original aside)!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Some of the animation could be really fluid and expressive especially going into Season 3. I was really impressed especially by the vivid colors and textures by the time Predaking came around. Or like that scene where Bulkhead fought Dreadwing in that beautiful fall forest. What a gorgeous, unique setting.

9. EvenTeamWhirl

EvenTeamWhirl No known weaknesses

Yeah, I think so. Personally it was my favourite so far (maybe I'm biased because it got me into Transformers in the first place) and after re-watching it, I found a few of the moments a little cringey, especially the fight scenes, but I still love it a lot.

The Decepticons were honestly the best part for me (again maybe biased since I'd take their side): they weren't just evil for the sake of it, and when they were it was taken seriously and not in a cartoon baddie kind of a way. They looked intimidating; won fairly but not all the time; and they weren't all just the bad guys that would rock up, get defeated and slink off again into the shadows- they all (with the exception of the vehicons, obviously) had personalities and feelings and their own moral compasses, it wasn't just the Autobots with story arcs this time. There's always a danger, especially in children's shows, that there's a focus on the Autobot goodies, and the Decepticons are a bit of an afterthought because they don't want children to associate with them to the same level. Not in TFP though, there is of course an Autobot focus but it doesn't feel forced because the Decepticons get a fair amount of air time too, even an episode dedicated entirely to them with no Autobot intervention at all.

Overall, all the characters got a revamp: they became more memorable and recognisable as TFP characters. Knockout hadn't really had much of a consistent design before the show started but by the end of it became one of the favourites. Wheeljack got a lot more personality, he went from a guy who made things explode and was a bit of a nuisance to a gruff warrior who still kept his love of explosions, but they had a purpose for once and I felt that was a cool twist to his personality that he benefitted from. Soundwave got a total makeover and quickly became my favourite- he no longer looks like a walking microwave, he looked really sleek and ninja like and he fit in well with the rest of the Decepticon cast. The vow of silence was a new idea too, and it helped to play his character up, as well as complementing the others.

There are some small things wrong with TFP, but it's definitely easy to look past them. Yes the animation isn't the best, but it has a distinctive style, the Cybertronians looked like they fit well into the overall style whilst not looking too implausible from real life/out of scale, and some of the landscape design was absolutely stunning. Yes there's a weird amount of grunting and groaning that goes on every time the fighting happens, but that does make sense even if it is a bit awkward. Yes some characters could have done with a lot more air time and/or a proper conclusion, especially Silas, Shockwave and Wheeljack; I don't think that takes away from the show though unless they're one of your favourites.

Predacons Rising was a bit of a let down as far as finales went, but someone who loves the original Autobot cast might have found it a lot more satisfying.

However, TFP remains my go to every time I want to see a bit of Transformers, and it was absolutely something I'd recommend to anyone who wants a more mature children's show.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

I agree that this might be Welker's best work but I'm not sure I can say the same for Peter Cullen, though not really through any fault of his own. The biggest problem is that by this time Optimus had completed his journey from what he was in G1 (a cool, fatherly leader who was undoubtedly in charge but still felt like a "real person" and embodied some of that robot John Wayne intent that was behind his voice and manner) to what the stereotype of Optimus is now (grimly serious messianic robot jesus who exists less as a tangible character and more as a shining beacon of hope and goodness given humanoid form). Optimus is stuck being somewhat stuff and humorless and less enjoyable/relatable than he used to be. Which isn't to say that I want Optimus to be a goof-off or less than devoted to being the leader of the Autobots. Rather I just like it when his personality and character aren't crushed under the weight of being the christ-like savior metaphor. The result is that there simply wasn't enough room for Cullen to explore the character. all he did was show up and belt out heroic speeches and pearls of wisdom with as much gravitas as he could pull together. Workable, but it had less warmth than his G1 performance.

• Like Like x 3
  11. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Personally, I found Frank's performance in this show to be just as underwhelming as Peter's, plus, I just felt this Megatron was just a waste and they pulled a lot of cheating with him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CapZat

CapZat Well-Known Member

I never paid attention to Jack's mom...

13. TheUltimateBum

Personally, I always felt she was a better character than her son. I feel she should have been the tagalong instead of the kids.

• Like Like x 2
  14. CapZat

CapZat Well-Known Member

I'm talking about how attractive she was in the show lol, but yeah Jack was easily the worst human for me, June was interesting and sweet

• Like Like x 4
  15. TheUltimateBum

Oh, yeah. Honestly, she really is a fine looking lady. ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  16. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You guys are both stupid knockout is the most attractive you simps 2B47D357-8D49-4062-BE21-B2D1916908EE.jpeg I’m a straight guy but knockout is the only one that can turn me gay

• Like Like x 5
  17. TheUltimateBum

He is not a friggin' lady, brah. :p 

• Like Like x 2
  18. CapZat

CapZat Well-Known Member

wise words

• Like Like x 5
  19. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I thought there was alot of good stuff in Prime. The characters were fun, interesting, well written, and I found none of them really annoying like past characters. I didn't even have much issue with Miko either. The visuals were amazing as well, especially up on the HD big screen. The sunset as they were holding the memorial for Cliffjumper and the space scenes, especially during the last episode of the regular series, were simply stunning. It was also good to have Peter Cullen and Frank Welker back as Optimus Prime and Megatron in a regular series role again. Some of the casting they managed to pull off for Prime was pretty cool too getting The Rock for CJ and Michael Ironside as Ultra Magnus. The writing was also pretty good and some moments got pretty dark even for a kid's series.

The two biggest bright spots for me is Prime Ratchet and Knock-Out. Ratchet had always been a favorite character and his portrayal in Animated was pretty good but Prime just took him to a whole other level, especially when they cast Jeffery Combs in the role. Combs did such a superb job as Ratchet that I want to see him continue to voice Ratchet in future roles if allowed to. Knock-Out was a brilliant move as well. I loved how vain he was and despite being a Con, his love of Earth cars and racing really worked in his favor.

Now there were a few issues I did have with the series too like the "search for the Predacon bones" and the "Iacon Relics" seemed like a recycled plot point from other series but that being said, the writers did manage to keep it interesting at times. The other was this would have been an awesome way to bring about a new MASK series. But that being said, the pros far outweigh the cons for me and Prime will always be one my favorite TF series.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    Agree with all of this wholeheartedly. For me, the biggest mistake the show made was not leaving Prime stuck as Orion Pax. Make him LEARN to become a great leader again, rather than just getting this glowy thing that overwrites your mind. Show us more things that made young Orion similar to Jack (as Ratchet told us once), and make them grow up together. That could've been amazing to see unfold, but they took the path of least resistance instead...

• Like Like x 4