Was the Siege toyline a waste of space in WFC?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, May 6, 2020.

1. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Yup. They should have done all of them in hyper accurate earth modes from the start. If they wanted to do Cybertronian modes so much they should have done the season three and four characters in siege.

2. fujishig

fujishig Well-Known Member

Like others have said, I don't mind the repeat characters so much as I do how fast it came out. Like if there were breathing room like usual in between releases, I think people wouldn't mind. And I fully understand you need an optimus and a megatron. But yeah, do the Datsun brothers and even the Seekers next year (if the line goes that long). I don't think many people complained about getting, say, another Hound after we already had a Combiner Wars one.

The other thing, of course, being that you're not getting a siege-type wheeljack, grapple, etc. so the line doesn't seem like it'll be complete.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Well, the best thing about Earthrise is I'm getting the definitive versions of the characters. And then I can finally retire from buying them. No more Starscreams. No more Optimus Primes. No more Grapples, Hoists, Wheeljacks, etc. These guys, and my wallet, can finally rest in peace.

• Like Like x 6
  4. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Considering I fiddled with most of the Siege figures I got for 10-15 minutes and then set them aside for the CW version or TR version or Jetpower Revive or … I'd have to say unequivocally yes. Except for Jetfire, Spinister, Ratchet and OS (which I missed) Siege felt like nothing but a filler line.

5. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

My big counter to this remains:

I don't necessarily want non-84-86 toy characters to have earth modes but I do want some of them to share robot mode cues with those characters.

This was a way to get Tetrajets. Those characters had always been stuck as earth jets unless Starscream had been done as a Tetrajet.

Shockwave was about as perfect a Shockwave as we'll get. Springer... same aside from any redeco preferences.

Refraktor kind of needed the gimmick to justify toon colors.

Crosshairs was a pretty solid update IMHO.

And I'm not terribly sure I prefer Magnus to have an Earthmode. Making him Powered Convoy redeco was a cost saving move in G1. He was supposed to be an alien vehicle (and have a goatee like the new characters tended to). I think Siege Magnus might actually fit in better with the 86 movie cast when all is said and done.

About half the line was "a waste" but I wouldn't necessarily want the repaints in earth modes.

I'm re-buying Prowl but I like Barricade in the Cybertronian mode. I'm re-buying the main 3 seekers but I'd have skipped Hotlink, Redwing, and the Rainmakers as earth jets. I'm content to have Siege Nemesis vs. Earthrise Optimus. I'll probably get an Earth Mirage if they do one but Decepticon Mirage is only getting a buy in Cybertronian mode. I hope even if we get an Earth Hound that Detritus retains more Siege tooling.

I'd say the repaints make it worthwhile for me and those repaint characters probably wouldn't have gotten unique molds if we jumped straight to ER.

• Like Like x 2
  6. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus DON'T TRUST THE RENDERS!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This right here.

Space it out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    No

• Like Like x 2
  8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    The whole thing was brilliant from a sales standpoint, but as a consumer I feel annoyed. It would probably sit better with me if Siege was more alien and not just "earth modes but stylized".

But meh, it is what it is. Can't change it so we just roll with the punches and appreciate it for what it is. Buy what you like, don't buy or sell off what you don't like.

• Like Like x 6
  9. LongarmMagnus

LongarmMagnus The fourth Jointron brother

Agreed at first but when i listed the ones i liked and bought to fill in my collection...

Omega Supreme
    Skyfire
    Reflector
    Impactor
    Shockwave
    Springer
    Micromasters
    Targetmasters
    Soundwave and cassettes
    Megatron
    Flywheels
    Brunt
    Sixgun
    Cog
    Powerdashers
    Ultra Magnus
    Apeface
    Astrotrain
    Crosshairs
    Spinister

I think appreciate what Hastak gave us.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The Siege toy line was awesome, but I would never call them "Cybertronian" designs with the exception of a few (Tetrajets). That's where Siege had it's failure, it didn't go far enough.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

I can't imagine the G1 accurate Ironhide being better than the awesome cybertronian Siege toy we got. I'm already imagining what sort of fugly diaper they'll give him to appease the G1 crowd.

12. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I really liked the line but looking back - and when contrasted with Earthrise - it becomes painfully clear how half-baked the Cybertron theme was. So much potential...sigh.

Siege Ironhide is a cool figure but I wasn't a fan of the altmode myself. So yeah, bring on the G1 belly man. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  13. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought Siege was amazing. When it comes to percentage of releases vs what I bought from them, I've bought the most out of Siege.

The ones I didn't care for like Ironhide, I just didn't buy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

I wish WFC had all been Cybertron modes, and then do a MTMTE trilogy set on earth. Plus, I have other favorites who need an update like Point-blank. If I ever get the ER versions, it'll be secondhand and cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  15. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

I think that is what Hasbro wants as long as it can sell. Look at how many reboots and toylines have we had since the first live movie vs what we had before. They are milking the brand for all the money they can.

16. Notomus

Notomus Unofficial Pope of Devconism

News Credits:
    this is why I wont be replacing my siege figures for the earthrise ones, it's a nice updated take that also prioritizes keeping the classic designs, it's like classics but everyone has ankle tilts!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Riddler87

Riddler87 Well-Known Member

My rule right now is if I have the Siege version of the character then I am not getting the Earthrise versions. Especially when it comes to characters like the seekers who I spent so much time cleaning up and repainting. Plus I love how they look like a starfighter from Star Wars.

Now if I'm being honest I did get Earthrise Optimus but I have two reasons for it. One, my Siege Optimus had deep cracks developing in his thighs, probably from the rubbing alcohol I was using to clean up the battle damage and did eventually shatter. Two he was ten dollars off when I got him at Target and I couldn't resist the deal. Also since I never got the Siege version of Smokescreen because I didn't like the face the Earthrise version is an easy pick-up. I used the have a no repaint rule until Combiner Wars just kind of destroyed that but it has evolved into not getting too many versions fo the same character rule.

In the end, they all look the same in robot mode, and really that is all that matters to me. I am seeing this as Earthrise is adding new characters to the collection that I started in Siege not that I'm replacing the figures that I already have when I already have versions of them that I enjoy.

No Siege is not a "waste of plastic" you can either just add on to the collection with the new characters in Earthrise, or be happy with have multiple versions of the same character.

18. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Um, no. o_O 

[​IMG]

Jetfire, Omega Supreme, Sixgun, Shockwave, and the Targetmaster/ Battlemasters would like a word with you. :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 1
  19. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    It's just baffling that we didn't see something closer to what we saw in the pilot. Otherwise, I did like Siege.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper And awaaaaaay we go!

News Credits:
    Good line just too short.

• Like Like x 3