Was Tarn really addicted to transforming?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Skyguy, Jan 27, 2020.

1. misfire19d

misfire19d Not a writer. Not an illustrator. Just a fan.

That’s why I thought the scooter was actually a ROBOT IN DISGUISE that carried a wounded and unconscious Megatron back to base.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    "Who's ready for some safe fun?"

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Still more interesting than Galvatron on Barber’s comics.

4. AutobotStrider

AutobotStrider Well-Known Member

TBH IDW dipped in form when Roberts inserted his own political ideas into the material. It was a knock that the comic never shook.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    And yet it was still more entertaining and interesting to read than Optimus Prime. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but he presented it in a way that continued to hook the readers. Whereas Barber and Ruckley also put politics into their comics but did not succeed in my opinion. Both Optimus Prime IDW2 are j just dull and tedious to me. The quality may have dipped from MTMTE, but The Lost Light was still a book I eagerly awaited every month.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AutobotStrider

AutobotStrider Well-Known Member

I preferred Optimus Prime. Had no interest in what Roberts was inserting and it just became eyerolling tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  7. misfire19d

misfire19d Not a writer. Not an illustrator. Just a fan.

There was waaay too much “inserting” going on for a Transformers comic book.

8. Matthew Haskett

Matthew Haskett Well-Known Member

AutobotStrider is likely trolling. RiD and Optimus Prime contain explicitly political content.

Of all the IDW comics, Roberts’ are probably the least political in nature. They focus almost entirely on character development. That’s not to say that the writing is perfect throughout all the dozens of issues, but it’s possible some of the problems that were in the finished product were a result of editorial mandates.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    The only time The Lost Light crosses the line for me was the Decepticon baby that Grimlock adopted. That didn’t go anywhere and didn’t resolve anything.

And the biggest disappointment was the Protectobots storyline. I liked it, but the resolution just fizzled out unsatisfyingly. It was building up to an epic fight between Getaway and Defensor in which Getaway gets his well deserved beatdown. But nope. Didn’t happen.

10. Matthew Haskett

Matthew Haskett Well-Known Member

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but Tarn and the DJD don’t have anything to do with The Lost Light series and the events you’ve described here.

I think it’s pretty obvious that the DJD is a product of Roberts where many of the post MtMtE stories, especially the usage of the Protectobots, are a product of editorial and creative mandates.

11. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    MtMtE/LL was a great story that slowly devolved into some poorly displayed and abbreviated tales due to IDW cutting about a quarter of its run in order to fit everything into the reboot's release dates.

Optimus Prime was pretty much a tale about making the titular character and franchise Superman look like a laughable dork and an imbecile at every possible turn. Everyone had a go at making him look like a tool and then he became Jesus Allegory again just to try and make up for it.

While a lot of MtMtE/LL was all over the place content-wise, I would be interested to have seen where the complete tale as intended would have gone. Conversely, even the completionist in me cringed at picking up the monthly OP title's new releases.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I liked that genocidal bastard, he was hilariously sadistic.

13. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde born-again First Churcher

News Credits:
    I honestly forgot that Tarn had a problem with addiction, since I think Roberts sort of forgot about it too since it doesn't really show up or play into his character that much later on.