Was Shockwave rogue in DOTM?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Michaelheitz, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Michaelheitz

Michaelheitz Member

I watched DOTM yesterday and he doesn't seem to be on the same page or in league with Megatron. Could it be that he woke up from his failed leadership ages ago and stopped believing in him???

The dude also kept a large distance from his other two loyalists (Starscream and Soundwave) knowing that they might report him but didn't mind being around Laserbeak or Barricade considering that Megatron never acknowledged either of the two. Is there only a few decepticons that Shockwave trusts???

Megatron also disrespected his death by making two-heads based on his carcass, that's not how you should honor your fallen warriors.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    I edited the title because it was confusing. I thought you were asking if Shockwave was a certain color.

3. Michaelheitz

Michaelheitz Member

You can edit "the whole time" out if you don't mind. I meant to change it before uploading

4. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    Done :) 

• Like Like x 2
  5. Galvatross

Galvatross Dreklord of Ogremarr Veteran

I think he wasn't meant to be a rogue so much as a largely non-speaking, slow-moving brute who operated solo and commanded his Driller.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Let's be real, Shockwave is the most cynical addition to DOTM. He's pretty much solely there to be a red herring for Sentinel. I doubt the writers put that much consideration into his character, only to not explain it whatsoever in the movie. He's just a more prominent soldier of Megatron's.

• Like Like x 11
  7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

More or less, since he doesn't do anything very "Shockwave-y" in the film (the comics made much better use of him as a scientist type). Could have easily replaced him with anybody with a cannon arm, like the dude from the IDW Drift Spotlight (Turmoil?).

• Like Like x 3
  8. Michaelheitz

Michaelheitz Member

Turmoil existed around the same time as post-filming for DOTM meaning it was already too late for the writers to come up with his existence for the franchise.
    Many autobots acknowledge his presence just as much as they do of bumblebees. Decepticons would too if any of them lived long enough to spend time with him.

For faction standards, I'd say he's at bayverse BBBs level of being notorious.

9. Galvatross

Yeah, I really like DotM, but I can admit that Shockwave could have been omitted or have been just a different name slap, and not much would change. Such a Decepticon could have been Brawl 2.0 or Blitzwing (which ironically was his working name during the film's production), and the end result would have been the same.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Autobot Burnout

Turmoil was just the first example I could think of - to be Frank, any tank deception would have worked like Quake.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I heard Shockwave was in the movies, I was hoping they were setting him up as a rival to Megatron like he was in the old comics.

Instead they practically wasted him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

I think he's part of the crew. Because him leading Optimus to Chernobyl to find the Ark component was an essential part of Megatron's plan, and that scene with him watching Barricade yelling at a Protoform seems to portray him either awaiting further instruction, or Megatron's arrival or something. Also Megatron does acknowledge Laserbeak, he refers to him as "little assassin" in the Africa hideout scene.

As for Two-Heads: if I had to explain it, I would say that is the Transformer equivalent of a fever dream. Megatron was attempting to re-create Shockwave from his memories, but since the data was coming from a severely damaged brain it resulted in Two-Head.

• Like Like x 4
  13. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi why do we have to fight all the time?

News Credits:
    Most Bayverse Transformers fall victim to bad writing.

With Shockwave, he fell victim to having no writing.

Seriously, if you renamed him something like Sixshot or Blitzwing would anything about him be different?

• Like Like x 4
  14. Autobot Burnout

More people would be bitching about him not being a triple/six changer and demand he be brought back as such.

I mean, people STILL cant accept Blitzwing was nothing more than a name slap in Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think it's all that fair to paint DOTM Shockwave as a "nameslap" when he is clearly Shockwave in terms of design, and many pieces of concept art used fake names even for established characters (including Megatron and Soundwave).

He does get name dropped 4 or 5 times during the movie and seems to be taken seriously as a threat. Of course the role is still largely minor due to him being a red herring- but if at the time they thought DOTM was the last one and wanted to get Shockwave in there, it's better than nothing. At least he looks the part.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There can only be one.

He's clearly commanding Megatron's army, so I don't know why you stretched it so thin for this post. I can't even call it speculation because it's based on nothing in particular. Could it be that Carly was secretly British Intelligence the whole time? Maybe this version of Bumblebee is actually from the future and the real Bumblebee is missing? Maybe offscreen, Optimus and Sentinel switched sparks somehow due to interference from the Space Bridge, so that's why Optimus is such a bad hero in AoE and TLK, because he's actually Sentinel in disguise?

17. Hanzkaz

News Credits:
    Shockwave was just another part of one of Megatron's Machiavellian long term schemes that he was working on simultaneously while he was on ice. :D 

More seriously, Shockwave was definitely working for (or with) Megatron in DOTM. Though, by the end of the movie, he'd pretty much become the equivalent of the Rancor keeper - most folks are more likely to remember his pet instead of him.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Galvatross

Except I wasn't saying Shockwave was a name slap in terms of design. At all. On the contrary, I consider Shockwave to be one of the best adaptations of a G1 robot, design-wise.

I was simply saying that the movie wouldn't have been any different in terms of quality had a big, brutish Decepticon with Shockwave's role been slapped with another name, and Shockwave wasn't present. That's all.

Nor do I think it's a bad thing Shockwave wasn't the main antagonist. If anything, I think it was more enjoyable and dramatic because of Sentinel's role.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Google+:
    If I remember correctly he originally WAS going to be the main villain. This was way back then so I dont remember all the exact details. But essentially when it was still being written he was suppose to take sentinel's part, but obvious not be affiliated with the autobots in any way.
    That is why Sentinel betrays Megatron as well in the film, which was inherently Shockwave's original part, shockwave, like sentinel does, would have taken over the cons, which would have caused megs and prime to team up to take him down. But Bay or whoever; wanted some sort of twist so they added Sentinel in, and sentinel largely took over shockwave's part, but they still wanted him in there so shockwave would have sided with sentinel and megatron with optimus and they would have fought both parties. Again, things fell through because bay and paramount wanted closure (megatron originally was suppose to live and take the remainder of the cons back to cybertron making a deal with optimus to rebuild what was left). This is still seen somewhat in the novel. Where Megatron lives and shockwave role is still slightly enlarged.
    Anyway, shockwave would have built the pillars had he been the only main besides sentinel, then they made sentinel the pillar builder and shockwave a grunt after it was all said and done.
    The concept was a lot better then anything turned out but at least we got him and his awesome design on screen even if it was wasted. And I do wish the original idea of sentinel and shockwave vs optimus and megatron would have stayed but also they needed "closure". Two movies later and now I feel like THAT story might have set up better sequels then what we got...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Hanzkaz

News Credits:
    Definitely gotta agree with you there.

That sounds better too me than what we ended up with. Maybe they found it too complicated...

• Like Like x 2