Was Return of Optimus Prime a better finale to G1 than The Rebirth?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Proud Nintendo, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Proud Nintendo

Proud Nintendo Well-Known Member

I really do love the last few moments of the episode, the doctors apologizing... (even though it is a little light considering their actions) Optimus and Galvatron shaking hands. "There will be no war today, Optimus Prime. You have earned Galvatron's respect."

The final scene is amazing.

Hot Rod: The wisdom of the ages.. it's lost.
    Optimus: No. Not lost. We're all a little wiser now.
    Hot Rod: But the Matrix is empty.
    Optimus: It's up to all of us to fill it again with the wisdom we accumulate from this moment on. Autobots, transform and roll out.

Like if that was the last shot of the show. It would've been perfect.

• Like Like x 3
  2. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Personally, I don't think so.

Although season three of G1 is one of my favorite TF things, even I know that there were a few bad episodes and Return of Optimus Prime was one of them. The concept of the Hate Plague was good, but the problem is that it was clumsily handled and felt extremely tacked on. Plus, the constant Optimus worshipping was another thing that turned me off.

But even with all aside, the story is mediocre overall. The humans' motivations feel tacked on, the episode has a lot of continuity issues with itself and characters just make the briefest appearances, only to be forgotten afterwards and we got the Throttlebots tacked on at the last minute and all they do is get infected.

Rebirth may not be for everyone, but I personally loved it. There was a sense of urgency with it thanks to the faster pace, Optimus' quest to figure out why Vector Sigma wanted Galvatron to learn of the Key to the Plasma Energy Chamber's existence was a lot more interesting (and this comes from someone who doesn't like Optimus) and overall, I felt that the massive addition of characters, despite the fact that Rebirth was trimmed from five episodes to three and some of them just having brief appearances, actually added to that sense of urgency (because you then get massive armies of Autobots and Decepticons, as well as the Nebulan factions, fighting for the fate of Cybertron and the entire universe), whereas in Return of Optimus Prime, I just didn't get that sense of dread about the Hate Plague that I should have gotten.

So yeah, in my personal opinion, Return of Optimus Prime wouldn't have been a good finale due to the mediocre story and clumsy handling of the Hate Plague (which was handled better in Beast Machines).

• Like Like x 5
  3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Rebirth is a horrible 'season'. It really does nothing but sets up new toys to be sold. Most of which gets put on screen for a few seconds, before never being seen, or mentioned again. Other than that, there really isn't a whole lot to those episodes.

While, Return Of Optimus Prime, is a story about a plague that is devastating, and impossible to stop, that the Autobots had to team up with both the Quintessons and the Decepticons to stop it. Being that it was effecting the entire universe. Spreading so fast, that it was a threat to everyone. It was a threat so terrible, that they had to figure out a way to bring Optimus Prime back to life. Who, then couldn't do it alone. He needed the help of Galvatron. All so he could get the Matrix back from a infected Rodimus Prime.

The cure to the hate plague ended up being wisdom. So, Optimus Prime uses the matrix, emptying it of all it's wisdom across the entire universe, all at the last second. Not only did he end the plague, but the episode ends with him earning the respect of Galvatron. This would have been an excellent ending to Galvatron's story as well. As it was about his decent into madness. His madness being cured by the wisdom granted to him by the Matrix.

This would have been a perfect end to the Cybertronian Wars. As Galvatron no longer has the desire to fight. But, that's not all. Optimus Prime then returns the Matrix to Hot Rod. He gives up the power, where he can now become his mentor. Meaning, Hot Rod can continue being leader.

It's Rebirth that completely tosses him under the bus, making Optimus leader again, and reducing Hot Rod back to a lowly soldier. His role in the series had greatly been reduced. Throwing everything he learned, and gained from seasons three out.

Return Of Optimus Prime, Has Optimus literally handing Hot Rod the Matrix back! Rebirth has him just being a normal soldier again. Rebirth completely screws over Hot Rod. Where as if it ended at Return Of Optimus Prime, it would have ended with the war over. Perhaps, the Decepticons and Autobots are now allies. Working together to restore their homeland back to it's golden age. With Galvatron working side-by-side with Hot Rod. Or, perhaps, Galvatron retires to Chaar, getting out of the way of the reconstruction. Perhaps Cyclonus becomes in charge of the Decepticons from then after. Perhaps, they even work with the Quintessons and Junkions as well. They are all friends now.

Return Of Optimus Prime ended with the war possibly over, enemies now allies, and everyone a whole lot wiser. Then, Rebirth came a long and through all that out to sell a bunch of toys. It screws over Hot Rod, and makes the entire third season completely pointless.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I forced myself to sit through “The Rebirth parts 1-3” once. It was terrible. Even the writers admit it was terrible & that they were doing their best given that Hasbro ordered them to introduce a legion of new toys in 3 short episodes. I don’t envy them. I don’t know that anyone could do that & make a watchable show out of it.

I vastly prefer “The Return of Optimus Prime” as the end to G1. It has a greater sense of finality to it, whereas Rebirth ends on a cliffhanger & we’re left with the knowledge that they’re just going to fight forever & there won’t ever be an end to it unless one side is completely eradicated. No thanks. I’ll take the more hopeful, happy ending that TROOP gave us.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I loved Rebirth and would have loved to see a full season 4. I don't like Return of Optimus Prime, as it just casts aside Rodimus. I would have loved to see Optimus Prime return though as Power Master Optimus Prime, and somehow have both Rodimus and Optimus be in charge, on different planets for example. That'd be interesting. That could have been the start of the Council of Primes.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mega scream

Mega scream Tyrannical Freedom Fighter

not really, but i dont think the rebirth was any better...

I remember watching the rebirth as a kid, and I was just upset that I spent countless hours binging G1 and it ended with Galvatron and Zarak escaping, while the Autobots stayed on Cybetron. it felt really incomplete to me, with the Decepticons still out there causing trouble.

I would like maybe an IDW series or smth to tie up the remaining loose threads of G1.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TransMuffin84

TransMuffin84 Empress of Cybertron

Rebirth was so weird. I remember doing a marathon of G1 years ago and it was just new characters appearing back to back to back then disappear never to be seen again lol.

• Like Like x 3
  8. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I've pretty much always found Rebirth to be a more entertaining story than ROOP. Also, at the age of six years old, I wasn't ready for Transformers to be over. I had really only just gotten into Transformers about a year or so earlier with the original movie. So either way, put my in the Rebirth camp.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

I enjoy both The Return of Optimus Prime and The Rebirth and watched both many times as a kid on You-Tube in 2007-2008. Good times haha but although The Rebirth is enjoyable for a big toy commercial I can not stand the cliffhanger it ends off of and wish the Decepticons were all blown up at the end of or they just left with The Return of Optimus Prime which could have easily been a good ending of a truce between the two side and hearing Optimus say "Autobots, transform and roll out".

That is why all I talk about is why not actually conclude the G1 show with something. Instead of wasting time on all these G1 but not G1 series like the Prime Wars and upcoming Netflix show just give me an ending to this G1. I don't need more G1 continuities I just need the actual one to have a conclusion!

• Like Like x 3
  10. TheUltimateBum

Personally, I feel the open-ended finale was pretty nice, because you know that they're still battling out there and you can come up with your own headcanon continuations. In fact, even the Marvel comics had sort of open-ended finales (with G1 ending with Bludgeon still out there, scheming to battle the Autobots again, and G2 ended with the threat of the Liege Maximo coming in).

Plus, if you consider them as sequels, the story still ended with BW and BM, so I don't think is that big of a deal.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Galvatron2000

Galvatron2000 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    I think it was good, but Rebirth has better things,the battle on earth in the first chapter was excellent.

If I would have liked that rebirth would have had the animation of those two chapter(Return of OP)

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheUltimateBum

Yeah, I do think that Toei should have animated Rebirth, but still, I do think AKOM's animation was better than previous attempts (at mean, yes, there were still the typical AKOM errors, but it wasn't as bad as in previous episodes), so I gotta give them that at least.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CryptiniteDemon

CryptiniteDemon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    More like afterbirth. Everything with the headmasters was so stupid. They just crap out 50 new characters out of nowhere and then it's peace out we're cancelled. What a terrible ending.

I watched G1 for the first time last year and I was like WTF? How does this 80s powerhouse just drop out like that?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Do I ever shut up?

News Credits:
    Roger dodger.

15. Whomps

Whomps Well-Known Member

Wasn't The Rebirth meant to be a beginning of another season? That would explain why it felt so unfinished

• Like Like x 1
  16. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Do I ever shut up?

News Credits:
    Yes, the writer revealed it was meant to be a five-part opener to season four. Basically 5 faces of Darkness for a season four that never happened.

17. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Both are bad, but I like the Rebirth more. ROOP was basically Hasbro being scared and bringing back OP no matter the cost. At the expense of Rodimus.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

Yes, because it was an actual end (albeit to just a season rather than the series). Rebirth wasn't meant to be a finale until it was being worked on and Hasbro turned around and went "Welp, we're not making the rest of this season anymore, so this 5-part show is now all there is. And by 5-part show we mean 3-part. And it still has to do all of the same introductions of new characters that it did originally. Have at it!"

It shows in The Rebirth that it was hard to make a proper and coherent episode under those conditions. Making it also serve as a satisfying conclusion to 3 years of Transformers stories would've been even more difficult. And it shows.

19. Thunderhoof

Thunderhoof Decepticon Crime Boss

It's been a while since I have seen the episodes but, I would personally don't really like rebirth. Having him return casts Rodimus Prime to the side. I like the idea of Optimus guiding the new prime through the Matrix, appearing like a ghost occasionally to give him the advice he needs in order to be the next prime.

I feel like if Optimus was gone they would all realize the toll that the war has cost on Cybertron and Galvatron will feel as if he has no more to fight. His main enemy is dead, and Cybertron needs to be reconstructed. I like the idea of them all burying the hatchet of the war and rebuilding cybertron together, maybe not being friends but having mutual respect.

20. Proud Nintendo

Proud Nintendo Well-Known Member

I imagine Optimus would've become a Powermaster had the season continued.

• Like Like x 1