Was Prime that bad?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by TFFan01, Jul 13, 2019.

?

Was Prime that bad?

1. Yes

19.5%
  2. No

80.5%
  1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I'm interested to see what exactly you think justifies Prime being better than Energon.

• Like Like x 2
  2. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everything actually the animation, the story doesn’t repeat itself halfway through the series, the characters don’t sound like that they’re on drugs, the characters aren’t that annoying, most of the characters have personalities, the action isn’t terrible and prime doesn’t have kicker

3. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

I can't speak for him, but for me...

Animation alone already puts it ahead of Energon. The voice acting was generally top notch (though I suppose the voice acting Energon could be considered one of the show's better points, I haven't watched it in a while), and while Prime definitely fumbled and was directionless plot-wise, what was there was usually coherent and understandable. I'll freely admit to not remembering much of Energon because I couldn't stand the show, but I did like the cast of Prime more than I liked any given Energon character - even if most of them are pretty flat and static and the best character was Smokescreen.

• Like Like x 4
  4. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I should really give Energon a watch and see if it's as bad as people say it is. The town that I lived in didn't have Cartoon Network in 2002. When I finally did get CN in 2004, Energon was airing. I checked it out, but I had no idea what was going on. If I had a little more free time, I would give the entire Unicron trilogy a watch on Tubi.

5. mn_128875

News Credits:
    Just don’t watch it’s worse than the prime wars trilogy or any bay movies you’re doing yourself a favor by not watching it

6. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper Least insane TF fan

News Credits:
    If you get time to, go watch it! Armada is ok, Enwrgon is meh, but Cybertron is gosh darn amazing!!

7. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Armada's back half is actually very solid.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Prime was so bad it put me off watching RID 2015 for years. Ended up blitzing through RID 2015 in five days last month and it was honestly really good. Not the best Transformers show or anything, but it was a pretty solid kids show.

...Which is in stark contrast to Prime, which isn't a solid anything. Everything about Prime is so meh. Especially the animation. I really don't get why everyone praises it so much when RID 2015 looks a million times better and has way more life to it. The characters feel like they actually exist in a living world. In Prime though? Everything is so...dead. Also pretty much everything takes place at night, presumably for budget reasons.

Also, Bumblebee in Prime is so garbage. There's nothing to him at all. Whereas in RID 2015 he's such a daggy dad and it's honestly so fun every time he's on-screen. Plus he has an actual voice, which helps a lot (I know he got his voice back in Prime, but like I had already dropped the show before that happened).

RID 2015 is an improvement on Prime in every single way. Could've used some of Animated's moral greyness, but otherwise it was great. Check it out if you want to watch a good Transformers show. Only watch Prime if you need help sleeping...or if you want to watch Peter Cullen sleepwalk through performing Optimus Prime lines while his tea gets cold.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Season 2: Autobots and Decepticons run around to collect old stuff (relics), season finalie involves the Omega Lock

Season 3: Autobots and Decepticons run around to collect old stuff (bones), season finalie involves the Omega Lock

It reeks of plot repetition in the last two seasons. Not to mention TWO CLIP EPISODES in a 26 episode season. Even long running anime limits itself to only 1 clip show per season just for the sake of recapping.

Miko exists. QED.

A good post, to be sure.

The back half of Armada is excellent and you really do it a disservice by painting it with a blanket statement like this just because Energon sucks. It is absolutely worth sitting through the lackluster first half of Armada just to get to the back half - and especially the final battle between Prime and Megatron where they are literally ripping each other apart as well as themselves just to chuck their own parts at each other, and Prime's discarded the leadership title so he can freely allow himself to get really into the fight.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Wait, they used the Omega Lock twice? Damn that's hella lazy.

I dropped Prime halfway through Season 2 (after the Nemesis Prime thing but before they killed off Dreadwing), so reading through this thread and learning about what the rest of Prime was like has been quite a trip.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Arcee, Ratchet and Miko were incredibly annoying for me. I have stated the reasons why before in another thread, so I'm gonna just quote myself about Ratchet and Miko.

Prime had something that equalled Kicker, and that was Arcee. She was just an awful character, and once again, I'm gonna quote myself in another thread.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

Well they blew it up at the end of season 2, and then the Decepticons just kind of built a new one. Which is a little bit annoying because they made a big deal of Optimus wanting Smokescreen to succeed him as Prime so that he could use the Forge of Solus to rebuild the Omega Lock - so when it lost the last of it's power to restore Optimus, rebuilding the Omega Lock was now impossible. But then it turned out the Decepticons could just build a new one without the magic MacGuffin, which...Made the sacrifice entirely pointless.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Yeah, S3 basically has Megatron get scared of a dude literally declaring loyalty to him on the sole condition that he be given command of the Predacon army (but he'd be willingly under Megatron's control so all that would've happened was Megatron gained a competent general) so he frames the Autobots for destroying the predacon protoforms...which magically turn into some material called Cybermatter which allows the show to do a total plot change and revisit the ending of S2 by fixing the 'unfixable' Omega Lock.

It also eventually gives Bumblebee the ability to talk again.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ohhhh so that's how Bumblebee got his voice back. At least they kinda explained it???

I'm just in awe of anyone who finished the show. Y'all have the patience of saints.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Basically, at the climax, Megatron 'kills' Bumblebee, who falls into the Cybermatter, but then later Bumblebee rises, impales Megatron with the Star Saber, and says something that fits the moment. Bumblebee doesn't realize until a few minutes later that he's able to talk.

16. mn_128875

News Credits:
    The first quarter of prime s3 was the rebellion arc granted the 2nd 1/2 of the season was a scavenger hunt and the last quarter of the season was the autobots trying to save ratchet I can agree with the omega lock and the episode grill that episode sucked but the episode patch actually did something for the plot a bit it showed if starscream was worthy to rejoin the decepticons

Miko was not even close to as annoying as kicker at ALL

You’re just blatantly lying I never said I hated the second half of armada I was talking about energon and also when in that post did I talk about armada?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  17. Not Blitzwing

Not Blitzwing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Invalidation is Prime's life advice.

18. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

If it makes you feel any better, Transformers Victory has six clip shows...out of a 38-episode run. (The show also released six MORE clip shows direct to VHS after the show went off the air!) I'm actually a fan of Victory (I watched the Shout! sub, and I thought the animation was gorgeous and the characters and plot were reasonably well handled), but seriously....6 clip shows! And two of them aired within four episodes of each other!

I just skipped the clip shows on my marathon of Victory.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

I just watched it once when it first ran, and to say that I have the patience of a saint isn't really accurate (and believe me, some people I know do say that I am annoyingly patient), but when I finished Prime, I was just so frustrated and annoyed that I really wanted all that time I spent watching it back. In fact, TFP is actually one of the few shows that actually made me lose my patience (I won't mention what shows these were just to spare other users the pain, since a lot of these shows seem to have tons of following, but they just pissed me off).

True, but honestly, I would take Victory's six clip shows over TFP's any day, since I at least like Victory's characters a lot more and the animation looks just wonderful.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    The rebellion arc was nothing more than simply a return to the status quo by completely undoing New Kaon and moving the Autobots into a different military base, and the last quarter doesn't matter because in the end, it all came down to the Omega Lock again. Meaning the Autobots didn't suffer any lasting consequences from the choice to destroy the lock at the end of the previous season, thus completely rendering it entirely pointless in the big picture beyond the destruction of some arbitrary accessories which hadn't gotten much use to begin with.

Kicker was annoying, but he actually could fight if nothing else. He simply had poor voice acting because the biggest problem is him screaming all the time like an idiot.

Miko gets made a wrecker for no reason and inexplicably, her pushing a button somehow is treated like some kind of incredible action when there was no way for the Decepticons to have known she'd been the one to push the button and not Wheeljack.

I apologize, I misread the exchange and thought you were talking about the Trilogy in full and not specifically Energon, my mistake.

• Like Like x 1