Was Prime a Disappointment?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Mr JackatooTM, Nov 23, 2016.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I wouldn't call the character designs anything special. A lot of them felt very samey and uncreative, with far too many characters having similar face structures and helmet designs. A lot of them lacked detail, too, and felt very flat and underdesigned. (RID is even worse in that regard) They feel very safe an inoffensive, like the designers were afraid to take any risks with visually diversifying the cast too much.

And while I think the vocie actors chosen were spectacualr choices, so many performances fell flat due to the unnatural dialogue and terrible direction.

• Like Like x 1
  2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

If the characters were likeable, then "the writing" wasn't bad. The voice talent deserves their due credit, but they still have to have something to work with. The characters were generally written decently and had fun, snappy dialogue. That's good writing, at least within that area. Where people had an issue was story planning, which is only one part of the writing, and which is also subjective depending on the viewer's preference.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Overall no the show was not a disappointment

I was sad the show was over even though the show could have had more episodes

• Like Like x 1
  4. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

As much as I dislike Prime, I have to disagree with the idea that the designs were lacking. While I did generally hate the faces, the rest of the designs were pretty good, and most of them reflected their character. I can't think of many TF series that would've had such a slender, inhuman looking design, like Soundwave, one as stylish as Knockout, or as monstrous as the Insecticons.

Eh, exactly how likeable the characters were is debatable. The Autobots seemed rather bland. They never engaged in any pastimes, outside of when humans were around and in the second and third seasons, they weren't around that much. It was like the 'Bots didn't have lives of their own. I guess they did at least have personalities, aside from Bumblebee. Assuming you count stoic, since Optimus rarely showed more than two emotions throughout the entire series, with no explanation beyond "Primes don't party". Still, I guess that makes him the stern one... Until Magnus came along with that exact personality, but even more stern. Then Optimus spontaneously became friendly. They didn't even use Prime's lack of emotion to give him a backstory. Actually, aside from Bee and Arcee, nobody had a backstory. And Arcee's was used to make her into a whiny hypocrite (as I established with my comment in the thread "Arcee: Good Character or Plain Annoying"). Still, I guess it could be worse. They could have personalities that always change, like Megatron, or they could suddenly become comic relief, like Screamer. Or they could just never speak, like Soundwave. Or maybe they could go several episodes without appearing, like most 'Cons did or just suddenly drop dead, like most 'Cons did, and have little personality outside of "generic thug" like Breakdown, Darksteel and Sky Lynx.

5. flamepanther

Less "debatable" than subjective. Nothing is going to work for everyone. We can explain why things work for us or don't work for us and hopefully understand each other's positions, but those reasons ultimately don't apply to everyone else. Not yours, not mine.

There are at least a couple of people here saying that the characters were likeable (to them), despite the show's "bad writing". I'm pointing out that this is technically contradictory and that we need to be more clear about "the writing" if we're going to try to analyze it. That doesn't change whether they enjoyed the story planning and plot direction, and it doesn't change whether you find the characters likeable in the first place. I'm not here to change anybody's opinion.

If there's anything I want to change, it's to get people to think more carefully about the difference between "was it good?" and "did I personally like it?"

6. soundwaverulls

First off, the show can have well written characters and still not be well written. There are many aspects of writing, including but not necessarily limited to creativity, world building, story direction, dialog, humor, characterization, character growth, conflict, message, continuity, utilization of assets/working with limitations and perhaps most importantly, honesty. Just because a show gets one or two of these things right, doesn't mean it's well written in general. Just those specific aspects. As a whole, it's still poorly written.

Secondly, perhaps I was mistaken in saying "exactly how likeable the characters were is debatable" but your statement of "If the characters were likeable, then the writing wasn't bad" linked the characters to the quality of writing, so I assumed we were taking a more objective look at how well crafted the characters were. It is possible to analyze how well a character is written. I believe all aspects of writing can be objectively analyzed and discussed. True, the "likeability" of the character is subjective, but it is possible to analyze if the way the character is written works on a technical level.

7. flamepanther

You're still mistaken then. Analysis of writing is based on combination of various schools of style and generalizations about "what works". The latter is a combination of subjective experience and consensus. The former is formalized doctrine based on the latter. You can analyze the technical reasons something works for those for whom it works, but that's as far as it goes. That analysis is valuable, but it's not objective.

The closest you could come to objectivity would be to take something that doesn't work for you and try to appreciate the reasons it works for someone else, and vice versa. But that's just an attempt at being fair to multiple subjective experiences. It's never going to be truly objective. If it could be, then writing would be in the hard sciences, not the fine arts.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  8. soundwaverulls

I simply don't agree with this, but I think I'm just gonna agree to disagree. Disputing your post would require me to go into a lot of detail on my views of writing and how it works, which I simply don't feel like doing.

9. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

Prime is my favorite TF series so far, but there were somethings about season 3 that always felt a little... off. TFWiki.net told me why. Even if there were cool parts of the third season, I still would have liked to see the initial plan.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Yeah, it certainly was a disappointment. Its dedication to maintaining the status-quo robbing the story of potentially long-lasting and interesting plot points, axing off of a number of promising characters prematurely, and the dullness of the majority of the lasting cast members (making them either forgettable or just unlikable by the end of it all) all contribute to making Prime a series that had a whole bunch of potential but squandered it more often than not.

But hey, at least it looks pretty right?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. darkus Maximus34

darkus Maximus34 One shall DIE,one shall FLY

No,no and no the show was NOT a disappointment..a lot of wasted potential ? Yes but the story still well written..I loved every single character (except arcee) the animation was fantastic! It had great choices for voice acting...my only complain is arcee and that the show only had 64 and a movie...the new sequel isn't bad..its just not as good as prime

• Like Like x 1
  12. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Not a disappointment...but I do agree there was some wasted potential with some plots being ended before they had time to gestate properly. Shockwave's Predacon army never coming to fruition ended up being kind of a drag.

Also, the choice to mute BB and keep Ratchet and Optimus at base most of the time meant the only characters getting development were Arcee and Bulkhead (and Jack). When the Decepticons are more interesting and have better development than the heroes, something is off.

But I don't think we've ever delved as deep into a Starscream's pysche as we did in Prime. His love/hate relationship with Megatron was on full display and aired out in every way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jayne Pea

Jayne Pea Active Member

Best part of Prime? DEFINITELY the Insecticon roar.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Autob ironhide

Autob ironhide Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My other disappointment was not getting characters like Ironhide, Jazz, and Sideswipe.

15. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    MMmm, nope, it wasn't, well, only beast hunters (the season and the movie) it's my dissappointment, when i looked to the toyline and the teasers, i felt like they were going on an awesome idea for the series, but nope, just more of the same, it's like they changed the way to continue.

16. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:

why was that?

17. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

Mainly that the direction of the show was forcefully changed, and it shows.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nordh

Nordh Well-Known Member

I miss Prime something fierce myself. Wish they could have kept it going. For me it certainly wasn't a disappointment, quite the contrary actually. G1 for nostalgic reasons are #1 but Prime is without a doubt #2.

• Like Like x 1