Was more than meets the eye that bad?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by mn_128875, Nov 10, 2020.

?

Was it that bad and should I read it?

Poll closed Nov 16, 2020.
  1. Yes, don’t read it

5.3%
  2. No, read it

94.7%
  1. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

The truly bad part never was the book, it was the fanatical cult surrounding it. This topic is a wonderful reminder of this fact.

• Like Like x 9
  2. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

There e good parts and bad parts. I think there is plenty already written about the subject that asking again is somewhat redundant.

3. Feloniicharges

Feloniicharges Well-Known Member

It's very British, if you like and appreciate British sci-fi (Especially red dwarf) then you'll probably like it.
    Personally think it's the greatest thing in comics since knightfall. Unashamedly cried multiple times over the saga and have to avoid thinking about the last issue of lost light cos I will get choked up.

4. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I would say that it’s one of the few comics that provoked an emotional reaction out of me. There’s a cover with Rodimus looking at the spirits of all the deceased characters over the years that really hit me.

5. Lelith

Lelith Banned

So true. The finale was so satisfying.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Feloniicharges

Feloniicharges Well-Known Member

Oh god!!! The final issue!!!!

7. JustAnotherCassette

JustAnotherCassette Lurker no more

I definitely enjoyed MTMTE/LL from start to finish, though Lost Light certainly felt lost at times and there were a few stories in which I wondered if the editor had forgotten to do his job and was just rubber-stamping whatever the writer brought in. Overall I can say I really liked it because I did enjoy the whole Megatron thing, but looking back at it now I wonder if that's because I started reading IDW from Phase 2 and had not read Phase 1. After finishing Phase 2 I read some parts of Phase 1 and I did find it pretty hard to reconcile the Phase 1 Megatron, who unflinchingly tore Ramjet apart limb from limb (among other things), with MTMTE's "I used to be a poet" Megatron.

And I'm in the camp of "they stuck the landing."
    I know some people thought it was a downer, but I thought it had a wonderful "o those halcyon days of our youth" kind of vibe, wistful and sad because everyone knows those days will never return and the real world is a tough place out there, but all who were on the ship will remember how special it was, the adventures they had and the friendships they made (except for that one guy.. what was his name?)

• Like Like x 3
  8. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One thing that I felt somewhat helped as a turning point was
    Megatron's conversation with the Optimus of the past
    . On a re-read of season 2, I felt like that was a turning/breaking point for him where it seemed he realized the distance between where he started and what we had become.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    The series is not only fine, but probably among the very best and greatest in the franchise as it pertains to characterization and storytelling. It's depth will likely never be repeated, and its focus on non-traditional characters is something we should hope to see more of.

Lost Light is not as bad as people claim it to be. But it DOES suffer from two issues IDW pushed onto it; First, it was an unnecessary "jumping on" point for new readers and as such they shoved a couple of new characters into the foreground that never deserved to be there, and second it was not given the length of time to tell its story it was supposed to as the god-awful reboot saw LL get about a third to half the run time it was meant for, which results in a lot of truncated storytelling and some elements just being nixed entirely despite a set-up.

Overall, the whole series is good and is leagues ahead of the all-we-have-to-offer-is-nostalgia Dreamwave comics, and not nearly as archaic as the old Marvel run. Give it a chance.

• Like Like x 1