Was DOTM originally intended to be the last movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TFFan01, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Reask

Reask Predacon

Yep, it was definitely meant to be the last one, even if the plot was the exact same one as Revenge of the Fallen. I even remember the TFWiki page for Dark of the Moon ending with the typical "Til All Are One" quote like they do with the final episodes for each series. Although the original script (As well as the comics and novelization) saw Megatron calling a truce and being spared by Prime instead of having his head ripped off, which tells me they didn't plan this to be the end, but decided upon it later on.

And honestly, I'm glad it didn't end there. The trend of having 3 movies then reboot kills all sorts of creative freedom from my point of view, so I was happy for a continuation going off in a slightly different direction. I'm trying to figure out how the hell a pure reboot would have worked. Would it have been different CGI animation? Would they replace Peter Cullen for Optimus or keep him on? How would they do the introduction differently? Would it feel too similar to the 2007 film or would they attempt a straight up adaptation of G1? I feel like they wanted to reboot it, but for the life of them couldn't come up with an original means of doing so.

2. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    The plots of DoTM and RoTF were objectively different.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

A cleaner plan for the series through episodic installments contributing to a larger arching background plot and no pretense about having to reset the universe - worked twice for Spiderman, arguably.

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, it seemed like Dark Of The Moon wasn't going to be the end until vary late in its development. The final battle and the quick killing of Megatron on the bridge all seemed very rushed. While there is some set-up for the idea of a potential 'passing of the torch' between Sentinel and Optimus - to me it seems it was added very late in production as it didn't really connect with any other scene. Take the Africa scene between him and Prime for example, it sets up the idea that Sentinel doesn't view himself as worthy and that he believes Optimus should lead - however this doesn't translate to the movie after the scene.

In my view Dark Of The Moon was originally intended to be just another sequel, perhaps a sort of climax to the previous movies in the sense that it would complete Sam's and Bumblebee's story arc. Though i think it was never intended to be the end of the Transformers movies - to me Bay's original decision to leave the films led to the rushed changes to try and tie things off with the Africa scene between Sentinel and Optimus being added coupled with the quick killing of Sentinel and Megatron aspects that didn't fit either of their development throughout the movie.

Fast forward to Age Of Extinction and we find a film that once again has an ending that seems rushed with the Dinobots doing very little once they reach the bridge and a quick death for Lockdown without any real lingering consequences. Previously in the movie we have one of the characters mentioning how they don't need Transformers anymore - an aspect that was probably originally going to be the emotional theme of the movie. The film's main threat wants to take the Transformers away and the core struggle with Optimus emotionally and physically is whether he should stay or go.

Here it seems to me that the original intention was for Lockdown to win and take Prime away - the Dinobots, humans and remaining Autobots teaming together to defeat or drive away Galvatron even at the loss of Prime. The layout of everything seems right, including explaining what will happen with the Knightship. With Bay deciding it was going to be his last film they quickly changed things so that Optimus kills Lockdown and leaves into space, the shot of Galvatron added to explain what happened to him.

Granted this is all just my theorising and i don't have any evidence towards these theories - it just seems what would be a natural choice to me.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

That would have been SO MUCH BETTER like oh my god.

6. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The logical choice for a reboot would be a movie more in lines with G1. And honestly, I enjoy the movies but would have liked to see a G1-style movie.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Maybe it's from being a geezer but I actually like 3 and done or at least 3 and done for a while.

Back when I was much younger the TV show Newhart ended and I was why, why would you end something that was still going strong. The reason Bob Newhart gave was it was better to go out on top and leave people wanting more rather than fading away to nothing. At the time I really didn't get it but after watching other shows and movie series fade away to nothing I got it at last.

I also don't dread the word reboot like some people do. Sure some reboots are total crap and it gives reboots a bad name. But without reboots you would miss great new things. If DC had dug in their heels and decided that their cartoon superheroes had to be Super Friends style forever then we never would have gotten Batman the Animated series. Or if live action Batman had to be like Adam West forever we wouldn't have gotten all the great version of the Joker we've gotten in live action form.

I just feel like to continue on with the Bay version of Transformers until Paramount runs the franchise into the ground is killing creative freedom. They are kind of shackled to well we can't use these characters because they are dead. There can't be any radical new takes on the look because any new films still have to fit the ascetics of the previous films. It just feels as restricted as when Paramount wanted to do something really different with GI Joe but they couldn't contradict anything from the first movie and the second movie had to connect to the first movie.

If it was going to be 3 and keep going on I'd rather they had done like Pirates of the Caribbean and gave the franchise a rest before jumping back in with more of the same.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Matt-o-matic

Matt-o-matic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It did seem to round things off as well as could be expected, though it was a pretty bleak ending. As much as I like AOE, it was barely the soft reboot it was meant to be because so much depended on what had happened before. I'm still surprised that once they decided to make a Transformers cinematic universe they just didn't go all rebooty and start form scratch again.

9. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with your post but

wasn't that literally what they did? Maybe they didn't wait as much as Pirates of the Carribbean but we still waited longer than the two year gap the first trilogy had between each movie.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I disagree, I've always found the ending to be really unsatisfying.

That said, I have to agree they shot themselves in the foot real bad there.

11. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    It was two years off between movies for the first three and now it's three years off between the movies since then so Bay has time to make something else in between.

12. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 The best there is...

Ebay:
    They still have some a list Decepticons though that they could bring in and use.

13. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    agreed, there no rule that says every single TF story has to feature one of the A-List Decepticons.

• Like Like x 1