Warring at Play

Discussion in 'Transformers Funnies' started by Polenicus, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm gonna recommend they change to 10w30 Synthetic

It provides a thicker and stronger Lubricant that's also formulated to not dry out as quickly...

:thumbs2:  IMO

2. Plastic_nomer

Plastic_nomer Doing the unmentionables

PERMISSION TO DO AN Eroge out of this pairing!

Chief I need your approval!

3. NamelessChibi

NamelessChibi Auto-Respawning

I am totally find with that mental imagery. It's awesome in multitude of ways. Relationship drivel for murdering the minds of others~ Sweet bliss. Fufufufu...

4. boxorak

boxorak Lacking Shelf Space

:lolol  I take it Miss Bloody Rachel is not used to THAT sort of talk.
    In all seriousness, though, it's kind of nice to see Pol's Strarf bite back at the Cyberdemon that is Chaotic Strarf, even if it's unintentional. Of course, that might be because I see her as kind of a bitch and I enjoy making feeble stabs at her.

They already did something like that. It's called Kiss Players. And considering how that slagstorm turned out, I think you should stay away from TF X Human/Shinki eroge. :p 

5. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Good golly, I certainly didn't expect WaP Strarf to go into details. :eek: 

Anyway, CI Strarf certainly is being a hypocrite, though given her situation it makes sense. Nice touch with the brief flashback to ACO.

Denied! Or at the very least, if I were Pol, I'd do so.

6. Plastic_nomer

Plastic_nomer Doing the unmentionables

Oh c'mon O2P9/Crystal prime did that already

7. boxorak

Did what already?

8. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    :lolol  And here I thought the Canadians were a peaceful bunch.

Love the expressions on the two Strarfs. :lol 

9. Vagabond Elf

Vagabond Elf Well-Known Member

I dunno, mate... ask the Germans. :p 

Pol, I seriously thought WaP-Strarf was deliberately winding up CI-Strarf until she got to the end.... either way, your ability to make toys emotes continues to astound and inspire me.

10. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Hey Pol, let me be lazy and ask you to explain something without me going page through page to find an answer..,

It's stated the Autobots bombing the Decepticons could result in heavy damage to the house itself. However in I believe Grimlock's narrative it's stated that their war exists in another plane/dimension which reflects the Owner's feelings, and when a character dies it reflects them losing the Owner's interest (demonstrated by Soundwave being shown on eBay getting sold).

What I'm asking is, surely the Owner would notice all the damage to toys he's selling (toys brutally killed in their world) and if not then why would things like burns on the rug actually affect anything/be noticed outside of their dimension/in the real world? Or did I misinterpret something/ am I reading too much into this?

11. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Lemme do my best to explain this, as it's complicated.

Essentially, physically speaking, the characters in WaP and the Toys in the owner's collection are not the same thing. Instead, the characters can be considered 'shadows' of the toys... like their souls. They are connected, but separate. So, while a toy might be blown all to hell and badly damaged, the Icon itself would be perfectly fine.

So, when a character in WaP dies, the figure remains, undamaged and whole, but it's 'soul' is dead. Either the owner loses interest in it, or circumstances conspire to destroy the physical toy. Likewise if the owner disposes of the physical toy (Which we will refer to as an 'Icon'), the 'soul' will inevitably depart as well... either it will be dragged along with the Icon to the new place and the new Shadow Realm, or circumstances will conspire to destroy it, at which point when the Icon arrives in a new Shadow, it will gain a new 'soul'. Either way, since souls cannot directly observe their Icons, it's really impossible for them to tell which happens first.

Now, the Shadow Realm is maintained by the Owner himself... in a way HE can be considered an Icon for the universe they live in. However, since the Icon and Soul affect each other, he must NEVER become aware of the Shadow Realm, for his awareness of the Shadow would alter the Shadow... which would influence him, which would in turn alter the Shadow further, in a nasty feedback loop that invariably results in insanity. And the Shadow Realms of insane people are not good places.

So, in cases where events in the Shadow Realm become extreme enough to actually affect the 'real' world (Which does happen, because our perception of our own world is never absolute, and in places we don't perceive much or at all... like the Basement or attic... the line blurs) both Autobot and Decepticon will prioritize ensuring it doesn't become noticed by the owner.

Basically, they live in Schrödinger's Box, and want very much to keep the lid CLOSED, because that uncertainty is where their reality exists.

(As an aside, if the Owner did go into the attic, he wouldn't see the Decepticon base, because they is a construct that exists purely in the Shadow Realm. It has no icon. But he WOULD see any holes or modifications they had made to the house or attic itself.)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

AHA! It's algebraic!

13. Polenicus

Ebay:
    Quantum physics actually. :p 

And it terrifies me that I am invoking quatum physics in a comic about toys.

14. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    :lol  I'm personally cool with it. Gives the comic some depth.

15. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    Pretty sure you aren't the only one. & everyone running w/ the Shadow Dimeniton explaination really is doing the same. There are just few of us willing to actually EXPLAIN the Quantum Mechanics. I have a feeling I'll be doing some explaining myself eventually...

& I really need to come up w/ what I'm going to do w/ the Extradimentional Entity that is Wheeljack's T.A.R.D.I.S. inside the Extradimentional Space that is MP Optimus's Trailer... as well as the Technobabble to explain it...

Personally, I enjoy the Quantum Mechanics... Granted, I enjoyed Noein too... then again, I acually understand some Quantum Theory.

& to shorten Pol's explaination of Shadow Dimentions to laymans terms, Cobalt:

Usually, the real world & Shadow Dimention are seperate dimentions. They overlap, out of phase. However, a large & intense enough explosion, for example, could rupture the barriers seperating the 2 dimentions & cause damage to the Owner's side of the Reality Wall, which would be noticible by the owner.

16. boxorak

Well, when your comic involves things from beyond reality that man was never meant to know, it kind of happens.
    And you know what? That's good. You are putting a lot of effort into figuring out how the comicverse of Warring At Play's world works. It's not just "Oh, toys are alive in this universe because....uh...they just are," it's a believable hypothesis about how the Multiverse functions.

It's a shame, though, that I can't think of a good way to mess up how the world works like with the Shards. With them, there was the immune system analogy, and I could use that to think of ways that the Shard system could go wrong. With the Shadow Realm scenario, however, the only thing I can think of to subvert the world's natural order is "Bring on the Elder Gods!" Of course, that might be because I'm writing this at a quarter past eleven. :p 

17. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    If you want to screw up the fabric of reality for you comic, just use a Wheeljack. "Uh, Op., I'm sorry, but my multi-phasic perimiter shield just tore a gap between our reality & the owners. Oh, what's that fur ball? That'd be the Owner's Cat; it came through the gap, uh... last week..." :lol  Or you could introduce a Haruhi Suzumiya figure... Granted,
    she could be considered a god

18. boxorak

Thanks, but I've already got a reality-warping Nissan with an inability to deal with stuff, his little Mini-Con partner, and the Chaos Bringer himself. I don't need anyone else capable of futzing up reality, thank you very much. :D 
    Besides, my alternity works a little differently than Pol's.

19. Polenicus

Ebay:
    *Points to the Dark God the Dark Entities keep babbling on about and trying to summon*

Done. Next?

20. Hype1

Hype1 D Witwicky biographer

lmbo

I applaud all the serious comics makers who tackle this whole conundrum. One of the reasons I went with the pain-in-the-aft task of creating "full-scale" (I use that term loosely here, lol) sets was to avoid that very issue. At the end of the day none of us are going to be fooled into thinking that the toys in our stories are walking, talking sentient beings...but the suspension of that belief becomes even more difficult for a comic maker to create when you can see so many real world items in the actual comic that constantly remind you of the fact that the characters we come to admire in these stories ARE just pieces of plastic.

I think it's cool how so many different explanations exist throughout the different comics here to explain just how and why these "toys" are actually alive. It's like getting lessons in physics, engineering, religion, sci-fi, and dozens of other fields that you would never think to look for in our stories, at least from the outside perspective.

• Like Like x 1