WARNING: TFSOURCE account billing info compromised! (May 2011)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DarthMagnificus, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I know it wasn't a straight comparison of the situation, it was just me knowing how it feels to see threads made where people are just bashing you...for ME it was nothing I did wrong, and I know that, it was still hard to see e-mails from people "hoping I'd fail", and "declaring that they'd never do a single bit of business in my store again" for daring to take the old owner away...even though I didn't do anything, he was leaving no matter if I stepped in or not.

In TFSources case I think Curt should have handled it differently and now so much more damage is done than what it should have been...and it sounds like it's not over. I think a mass e-mail at his point may just come of as disingenuous...where had it been done weeks ago, I think a lot more posters would have his back.

2. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's not about having his back. Its about informing customers who may have not seen any information on this. Do the right thing and some customers will respect that even if its later than it should be. A mail should have went out pretty quick but in this case a mail even this far into it may allow someone to cancel their cards and such before getting hit. I really want to know why this hasnt been done.

3. darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13 Caped Crusader

This is how I feel. I do not have anything personal against Curt, but even in the totally impersonal realm of pure business, I do not see how anyone can think that allowing them to continue this behavior is good or right. I've gotten the e-mails before from other businesses that have been compromised, and guess what? Had I heard about this from TFSource on, say, May 5th or May 6th, after Soundwave2 had notified them of the potential breach, I'd have had time to take action myself and get out of the line of fire. At that point, I'd have still been frustrated that TFSource did not, in fact, make proper arrangements after the last security breach, but I would not be nearly so ready to write them off completely as I am now.

It would be bad enough if it had just been me. Instead, it turned out to be myself and two people who bought gifts from TFSource because of me.

Bottom line: when you repeatedly make shady, irresponsible decisions, then deflect blame/responsibility by saying "Look, it happened to Sony too!", don't be surprised when people don't feel sorry for you while they're busy answering phone calls about their cancelled credit cards and trying to make sure they don't lose too much money from your screw-ups.

4. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Because TFSource probably feels that they can wait this out and sweep it under the rug. They still have their sponsorship at every TF board, eventually those of us who are asking these questions will just move on, and this thread will get buried until the next time this happens to TFSource.

Hell, I made my first purchase with Black Rodimus and had no idea about TFSource having problems in the past. Once this thread gets buried, and new collectors are brought in due to Prime and DOTM, they will get a whole new group of shoppers who have no idea about their past.

Honestly, how are we to believe the claims that "they are looking into security" or whatever else has been said when they don't even have the decency to alert their customers except via a forum post on a fan board? Darkwing has the right idea - TFSource is doing far, far more harm than good by not alerting its customers, and giving whoever got our credit cards tons of time to be able to use them. So many charges could have been avoided if they sent out an email early on.

If they had handled this with any respect towards their customers, I would have continued to shop there. Not anymore.

5. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just made an account with ToyArena and noticed that their credit card numbers are also stored on Authorize.net. I said "eff that" and paid with Paypal. ToyArena customers should probably watch their accounts, too.

6. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess the lesson here is always use paypal

7. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to sorta repeat a post about this that I made a while back. I just went to authorize.net's website. According to the site they have 305,000 retailers (online and brick&mortar) that use them. Obviously that number could be total BS, but I know that authorize.net does have a HUUUUGE presence. That being said, why weren't ANY other retailers affected? If authorize.net was hacked and all of that financial data were leaked it would've been BIG NEWS...but it wasn't. In fact, TFSource has had their customer's information taken twice, supposedly from companies like this. So TFSource is in fact saying that two times, two big credit card processing companies (or whatever the hell those companies are considered to be) have been hacked and ONLY TFSouce's data was compromised....I hope no one believes that...

8. darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13 Caped Crusader

The thing is, we don't even know that it was two different processing companies. TFSource never explicitly stated that they switched from the first one that supposedly got compromised to a different one.

9. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    right...either way that points to it being TFSource, NOT another company

10. VenomKing

VenomKing Well-Known Member

So much truth here.

11. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Originally I assumed it was their card processor, but it sounds more and more like whoever hosts their site is the weak link...unless it were TFsource themselves, which I honestly find hard to believe.

12. AdonMalik

AdonMalik Member

I've been incredulous about Authorize.net's fault in this issue from the get go. As others have said if Authorize.net had been hacked even in a limited capacity it would be big news. I was waiting to see if the news just hadn't broken yet when this first came out but now it's pretty unlikely that it will. As a result I say this is more likely a man in the middle attack or a certificate that's been compromised. While I will still do business with TFSource in the future I will not be giving them my card number again and will use Paypal for all future transactions. While I fell bad for Curt he needs to step up and start communicating with the community about what is happening and the steps being taken to resolve the issue.

13. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Right, even just doing a quick Google search for "Authorize.net hacked" shows you that nothing that serious has happened to them since 2004.

14. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    It WOULD be interesting if other Authorize.net customers were being effected as well. Or... Is it ONLY TFSource?

15. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Many pages back, I had posted that I had found 3 other sites in a short amount of time that used Authorize.net and were experiencing the same problems. One of them was a fitness website that happened to have a forum.

The reason you aren't finding anything with google is you are searching wrong. Yes, you find all those items from 2004 because that's how google ranks its pages. Sometimes getting relevant info out of goodle is a pain because it thinks you meant something else or includes extra terms in the search. I have yet to find a sure-fire method of using google, especially since it doesn't support the full set of boolean symbols.

Another major reason why it is difficult to find info about it is because Authorize.net hasn't made a press release about it. Also, many of the websites that use the service either a) don't have large fanbases or b) don't have forums. The fitness website had a forum, which was where that was posted. Private company websites aren't likely to have a place to find user feedback like we see with the TFandom.

16. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    And TFsource fraud strikes again. $300 from some gardening website. Ordered PCC from them a month or 2 ago. Oh and I don't own a PS3 and have never been on the Sony network.

17. raptordriver

raptordriver Well-Known Member

That's not an option if you're preordering something. You have to use a credit card. So far I have been lucky enough to not get comprimised, but I'm certainly checking every day now.

18. millerman3732

millerman3732 I remain unconvinced.

News Credits:
    My card was also hacked, I bought MP Megs from TF Source in March using my CC, a couple of weeks went by and I got an email from HTS saying they where having problems with my card so I called and checked into it and sure enough some one bought $200 worth of flowers the week of mothers day from FTD.com that wasn't me. Thank goodness the CC company shut down the card before they did any more damage.

19. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Here mom, I bought you flowers with stolen money.

I'm proud of you, son.

20. The Crooked Man

The Crooked Man Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've pre-ordered using PayPal lots of times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.