WARNING: TFSOURCE account billing info compromised! (May 2011)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DarthMagnificus, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lebowski

lebowski The Dude abides

I think it's fair to post a link to this thread.

2. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wouldn't have noticed this, since I frequently purchase stuff off iTunes anyway.
    No big charges on my card (I pay TFSource via PayPal, but my debit card number is stored on the site), but just to be safe I cancelled my card.
    Thanks for bringing this up; I probably won't be making any online purchases for a while.

3. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I wouldn't do that. Its bad for their business. I just emailed them.

4. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Ixlair The Fool

There is one common thread between everyone that has been hit massively. TFSource. To keep it from the community and not front page it would be wrong. People deserve to know this 'rumor'. Anyone that says otherwise really needs to look at it from a broader perspective; just because you weren't scammed doesn't mean that anyone else wasn't. As for them being a sponsor, it shouldn't really matter what they do for this site. Shit happens, and hackers and all that fun stuff take advantage of every little thing. I doubt it's TFSource's fault. Let the community know.

5. matrixprime

matrixprime Just a guy who likes toys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess I won't do that then will I :D 

6. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

It's not Slander if it's the Truth. People need to be told.

Of course, don't look for this to get frontpaged any time soon, because TFsource is a sponsor, and here at TFW the Sponsor is second only to the Mods as Unquestionable God-King. You don't say anything bad about either one or you get sacked.

I checked all my stuff, I'm clean. But then, I never stored my CC there, only ever had them charge me directly for preorders with paypal on a case-by-case basis....

All my paranoia re: credit cards has finally paid off.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably depends how you phrase it. Something like "TFSource are a bunch of rip-off artists that are stealing people's CC numbers", not true and libelous. Something like "a number of people have had their CC numbers stolen and there is some suspicion that the security breach may originate with TFSource; here's a link" should be fine, I would think, since it's the truth at this point.

8. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a regular customer of TFsource, nothing wrong with my CC at this moment. I'll keep checking it though, thanks for the heads up.

9. lebowski

lebowski The Dude abides

Shoddy data security is also bad for business.

10. matrixprime

matrixprime Just a guy who likes toys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think I will just let someone else do the typing in this case. So far my girlfriends credit card seems to be fine and she replaced all of her information on site with fake info. This was the first time she's ever bought from them and I don't think she will again so no worries in the future. Hope everything works out for you guys. I think I will take Scantron's lead though and change my sig so people know about it. Have to get the news out.

11. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    keep in mind many CC websites don't post their pending CC charges. It seems to me that most CC companies seem to be flagging these charges and keeping it as pending. So by just checking online, might not mean it is not pending...

12. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I woke up Monday morning to an unrecognized phone number. A groggy Google check indicated it was somehow connected to BoA's fraud division. I called the number on the card instead, eventually getting hold of a human, and discovered that there had been a charge of ~$4,000 made that morning. The purchase had been flagged and that's why they called. Killed the card, got a new one, cursed up a storm, poured a drink before noon.

I can't be absolutely certain that TFsource is where it was compromised, but that seems much more likely in light of this. I've had that card for 13 years without incident. It's not stored at very many sites, largely b/c Paypal has been around for damn near ten of that, but it was stored at TFsource as part of my first (pre)order with them. At the time, the item was expected to ship within a week or two, at which point, I was going to make sure to delete the number if that didn't happen automatically upon fulfillment of the order. It just kind of fell off my radar during the holidays, though. Live and learn. Back to Paypal only unless you're large enough to have a ticker symbol.

13. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. DEFINITELY call your card company, speak to a representative and have them check for pending transactions.

When I checked online and called the automated system for recent transactions, it only gave me the most recent CLEARED transactions. When I spoke to a rep and had them check for pending charges, that's when they found them.

14. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Again, nothing has been confirmed or denied definitely at this point. We ask that over speculation be kept to a minimum and that everyone keep a close eye on their bank and card activity for the time being.

As for sponsors being "Unquestionable God-Kings" here on TFW, this is not true. If it was, we would've have feedback forums for retailers and this thread would've been closed or deleted right from the start. We keep a close eye on what members say about transactions with online stores and sponsors have been dropped before due to shady and questionable practices.

15. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

I'd be dubious about turning this into a drama-filled witch hunt.

Yes it's more exciting that way, but it could still be nothing to do wth them despite evidence to the contrary. I emailed them when this thread popped up so clearly they're aware of it and it goes without saying that they're looking into it.

That said, it would go some way to calming the rabble rousers down if they did post that they are looking into it. Just saying, tfsource....

16. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm... I check my CC charges through online banking since the CC is attached to my bank account. Pending charges don't show up, but the remaining credit is immediately altered whenever I buy something. I'll give them a call anyway, thanks for the advice :) 

17. Reigner

Reigner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nothing pending, and I even called my bank and they see nothing pending either.

Will keep an eye out nonetheless but I'm not all too worried.

18. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I haven't shopped with tfsource since january last year for city commander using paypal, will be keeping an eye on my accounts all the same though just in case.

hope they are not fishing accounts not used for that amount of time and that nobody gets royally screwed over by these bastards..

19. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Just checked my card, nothing on there. Thank gawd.

20. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    To add to shibamura's post, I know that messages have been left for TFSource and we can post something on the front page once Curt can confirm something or make a public statement. Although it seems like the source of the problem is TFSource, let Curt figure it out and we'll go from there in terms of frontpaging. Reporting something like this isn't the same as reporting a rumor like Megan Fox will have three breasts for TF3. It's someone's business and it's best not to provide information until it can be determined as fact.

If Curt indeed determines or believes the source of the leak is his store, I'm sure he'll also send out a communication to all previous customers of the issue.

As for those who are questioning staff actions or are name-calling staff or otherwise in this thread, please refresh yourselves on the rules. Until we get something more official, continue to use this thread as a gathering point for information and data on the issue. It could provide useful in helping Curt (or wherever the source is coming from) in figure things out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.