WARNING: TFSOURCE account billing info compromised! (May 2011)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DarthMagnificus, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lebowski

lebowski The Dude abides

That's 15 of us now.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    If anything ever deserved to be on the front page, THIS IS IT.

3. rhapsodyred99

rhapsodyred99 Well-Known Member

TF source has my new info on file, and I cant figure out how to purge it...So far no unauthorized charges are on my card, but I will have to keep a check on it.

Front page this already!

I had pretty much decided to jsut go with Big bad and robot kingdom from now on anyway, but this pretty much seals it.

4. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Wow, that sucks. I'm glad I don't use them. Thanks for the heads up though.

5. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Oh, I know. But that's what makes it such a shame. They advertise their products, but when a problem occurs from something they initiated (advertising preorders, etc) it's swept aside. And in News and Rumors it's more likely to be seen, and some people will catch the $1-2 charges before they become $1000.

Just my two cents, I'll shut up now. :D 

6. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

The most reliable form of payment is Money Order. I rather do online transactions with that.

7. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is EXACTLY why this should be front-paged. By saying to wait is foolish. If anyone happens to approve the $1 charge they'll be hit with $100s with charges and YMMV with your credit card in dealing with the fraud.

8. Deceptikitty

Erm, I said I'd shut up.. but...

15 people from allll over the world where the only thing in common was an order from TFSource get unauthorized charges... sounds like it's from TFSource. Unless it's some bizarre, incredible coincidence.

9. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For what it's worth, I notified BBTS about this just in case they needed to check their own systems and here's what Joel said:

"Hi Michael - thanks for sending the information over, I'm sorry to hear this has happened to TFSource, I've worked with Curt and his family on a few occaisons and met them at Botcon and they are great people.

I appreciate your concern for BBTS users and their information - BBTS has spent considerable time and resources to make sure our customers' financial data is safe. We are PCI compliant and additionally do not store full credit card information on our servers. All information is securely kept and processed by Paypal, our credit card processing gateway. Because cards are stored by Paypal, no employee or owner at BBTS has access to your full credit card information, we can only view the first 4 and last 4 digits. We also invest heavily in intrusion prevention and monitoring systems that protect our systems from any type of attack. Our systems are tested daily for vulnerabilities and are monitored by a staff of security experts 24 hours a day.

Thanks!
    Joel Boblit
    President
    www.BigBadToyStore.com"

Nice to know that CC info isn't stored directly on their servers.

10. lebowski

lebowski The Dude abides

The OP is really the smoking gun - provided it's true. If so, it's irrefutable that this all started with either TFSource or Paypal.

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty much convinced by the OP's statement that TFSource was the only place they used that card, plus the sheer number of people chiming in, at this point (at least 15). Front paging this is probably premature, though. Still, it would be nice if this was moved to News and Rumors; it's a very strong rumor, at the very least, about something that could be a concern to a number of TF collectors and something that needs as much exposure as it can get right now.

12. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I'm going to throw my hat into the "Please front page this" group. I wouldn't have known about this today had I not seen the locked thread in the news forum. I do check my statements regularly but who knows how long I would have gone before finding the charges. I would think that TFW and TFSource would be more interested in working together to make sure everyone is aware and can take all steps possible to minimize the damage.

Is it inconvenient to me today that this happened? No. Am I upset with TFSource? No. However, there is a pretty clear "do the right thing" path that can be taken here, and all it takes is a front page click and chat with the site sponsor. Surely TFSource is interested in keeping their customers happy?

Fortunately, as much as I hate Bank of America, they are darn good with their fraud stuff. I've already got my card canceled with a new one on the way. They are flagging the iTunes purchases as fraud and sending me an affidavit to fill out. I hope they loop in the FBI! :) 

13. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My $1 charge was also on the same day as my TFSource order...

14. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    oh crap......i ordered city commander from them in october (only thing i ordered from them) and i used paypal....i sent a text to my mom to check things out......i should be safe right? since i used paypal?

15. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    If you paid with a direct Paypal payment, you are fine. If you used one of those "generated on the fly" Paypal Credit Card numbers, you might get dinged.

The thieves stole Credit Card numbers specifically. I have no Paypal history with TFSource and my BofA Credit Card is what got dinged. Granted, I use this same card at several other places.

16. payton34

News Credits:
    I tried to post a thread about it in "News" but it was immediately locked down for the reason that you already posted a link to it in the "Sourcenews" thread.

Sorry, but every "Sourcenews" thread is lucky to get double-digit replies so most people wouldn't even read it.

17. matrixprime

matrixprime Just a guy who likes toys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have TFsource on my facebook. Should I post this link on their wall? Or does that count as slander?

18. Deceptikitty

It's funny because most people hear about things to buy from TFSource from.. hey, the News and Rumors section! What a surprise!

I haven't even heard of Sourcenews. :lol 

19. payton34

News Credits:
    No, slander is if it's spoken word so you should be fine.

....in print, it's libel. :D 

20. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, the main reason I linked to this in that thread was to see if anyone from TFSource would notice and comment, since I'm fairly sure they read those "Sourcenews" threads. I definitely disagree with the closing of your thread because the info was already ~8 posts deep in a thread very few people will probably see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.