WARNING: TFSOURCE account billing info compromised! (May 2011)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DarthMagnificus, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At this point, I can't believe anyone would leave a credit card on file with TFSource.

2. Predaking000

Predaking000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm guessing that in addition to his regular business emails, he's flooded with emails about this problem, plus he's also trying to figure out what this problem involves.

It's pragmatism and damage control--respond only when absolutely needed and only to an official representative of the site that channels a big chunk of your business.

I'd be swamped and not responding to all those emails, too, at least not until I figured out what was wrong.

Can't say I blame him.

We'll hear from him when we hear from him.

3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Glad I haven't ordered from TFSource before. I know now I will NEVER order from them.

4. jl_00

jl_00 New Member

Credit card got jacked too!

I got hit with the same scam to on 5/7 as well. Someone charged .99 cents on itunes, then they charged 200.00 at NewEgg.com. Luckly I got an email right away from B of A and my card was terminated. I dont use this card except when I buy from TFsource. They have allways been good too me but I know my card got jacked from there web site. Be carefull guys, just my two cents on the matter.

5. C.W. McConvoy

C.W. McConvoy 破壊大帝

Agree. And it couldn't hurt to have them remove your stored CC info from their site. It's true these particular thieves probably have your info already, but it would stop the next crook that will inevitably try it. Obviously their security was and is nonexistent and now everyone knows it

6. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People have asked, they do it, and then TFSource locks them out of their account. That's what I've read two people say so far.

7. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Honestly, maybe TFSource should just stop storing credit cards altogether... they have obviously proven they don't have the security to deal with something like that, so why not just remove it from the site?

Sure, it would require members to pay up front for all preorders since they can't charge a stored credit card, but since you can't cancel a preorder anyways you might as well just pay for it upfront.

There may be some people who refuse to pay for a preorder up front, but hey, it beats what is going on here.

At the very least, they need to change the third party company they do business with.

For everyone else who is asking TFSource to remove their CC information, you can just change it yourself - just log in and change your CC number to all 1s or something. Chances are, if your card is stored, its already been grabbed anyways too. Not sure why they are just closing accounts completely when asked to remove just your CC information, kind of overkill there.

8. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lol at the fact TFW didn't put TFsource on the news page. By doing that you may be helping TFsource out for customers TFW but you arent helping out individuals who may register an account and get screwed over again.

9. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Even though a lot of us feel TFSource is behind this, there is no definitive proof (such as Curt admitting to this... and he probably never will), and TFW wants to remain impartial. Not only because TFSource is a sponsor, but on the very rare chance TFSource isn't behind this it would cause a real shitstorm.

They posted a link to this thread and people can see what the members think - that's good enough for me. Anyone looking over this thread can see TFSource being named, the mods or site admins haven't tried to cover that up.

10. Outsider4Life

Outsider4Life Well-Known Member

add me to the list of stolen cc# on 5/7. :(  It was a new card that I only used for two orders Botcon and TfSource(black animated Rodimus) which just happened to be charged to my card 3 days before I got fraudulent charges on my credit card. Guess I'm going to stay away from TFSource.

11. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    TFSource must be paying a lot of sponsor money......feel sorry for those that got jacked....always was iffy about them....and NOT TO RESPOND TO CUSTOMERS is the worst business practice. They're lucky they aren't getting hit with lawsuits.....I think its an inside job.....

12. lordelohim

lordelohim Deity

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Old):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Throwing my hat in, fraudulent charges started on 5/8. I've done business with TFSource in the last 6 months or so, and all of the other sites I use my CC info on should be safe, big sites like Amazon, iTunes (though I now have to explain to my CC company that although I make iTunes charges all the time, the most recent one wasn't me), eBay, Paypal, and then BBTS. I think the total charges against me were like $300-$400. Really weird mix of charges; iTunes, a movie ticket, King's Island amusement Park, and some site called "hat2match." This breach sucks, and I'm with what seems to be popular opinion, I don't think I'm going to be ordering from TFSource again, even though their import prices tend to be better than BBTS.

13. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I don't think TFW did anything wrong by not naming the source, if thats what you are implying.

Like I said earlier, all speculation points to TFSource (I personally feel they are to blame), but TFW has no concrete proof that would let them say "Yea, TFSource is the reason this happened."

If they accused TFSource and it ended up being false, every sponsor would immediately pull out of TFW; Who wants to sponsor a website that could potentially close a business? This is probably one of the worst allegations you could throw at a small business reliant on fans, so TFW needs to have all the facts if they were to say something.

At this point, TFW needs to be respectful in how they handle this or else they could lose all their sponsors.

I do think they should have front paged this days ago but that's the only thing wrong with how they handled this. They even put a link here so readers can see for themselves what is going on.

14. Riverlos

Riverlos Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i also got fraudulent charges on my BoA Debit card .. was getting charge $150 from Road Runner Sport .. I luck out cuz i caught it when it was still pending .. I live in cali and the charge was in Illinois .. i cancel my card an I'm waiting on my new one ... I also believe id TF Source they been the last company ive order from online ... I'm just glad I caught it

15. Aniel

Aniel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These are the times I feel happy to live in Portugal and be able to use the MBNet system.

MBNet is a secure payment system on the Internet, developed by the Portuguese banking system.

Being a service with a highease of use and convenience, allowing the realization of online payments safely, both for customers and dealers for subscribers.

The service allows payments to be made safe in any shop, or a foreign national without that your card details are revealed.

I really think it should be implemented in more countries.

16. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    My debit card was charged $568. I know TF Source has nothing to do with it, because I have not used my debit card on their site.

Also, you should note that TF Source requires a CVV number, I am not sure if those can be stolen.

I am also ashamed at most of this community, if hackers broke in and stole information from the credit card processor that TF Source uses, they deserve our sympathy rather than our derision.

17. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

I think most of the time, people don't realize that there is a middle-man between the company you place the order with and the credit card company itself. However, this did happen before with TFSource and my number was stolen back then. So far nothing this time, but if they are still with the same processor, they really need to cancel their relationship with them. If they don't, I can't see myself buying anything from them again. While I'm not ever responsible for fraudulent charges, its a pain to have to keep getting a new card.

18. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:

Well TFsource isn't saying anything to anybody. Which mean in my book, you either guilty or you know who the thief is. If my company is getting drag through the mud on false charges, then I will issue a statement, to cease all rumors. But they haven't said a word at all, well atleast to customers.

What with all these dating sites charges?

If the can steal CC#, then they can steal the 3 digit #....

19. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This post says volumes. How much narrower can anyone get than to say that his card was used TWICE, then hacked? We are all TF fans here, and his card was used at two TF related places. So we can pretty much eliminate this talk about Michael's, PlayStation Network, etc. The breach is either at TFSource or Botcon. I am leaning toward TFSource because that seems to be the one thing we all have in common. If more people were coming forward saying they bought from FunPub (Botcon), the water would be murkier. As it stands, the overwhelming evidence points to TFSource. I love the service I have gotten from TFSource, and I honestly believe it is run by quality people. What I need to see is TFSource stepping up and announcing they have a new payment processor. They are a victim here, just as we are. I do not want to see a great resource to the fandom closed. C'mon TFSource, fix this PERMANENTLY and let's move on!

20. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    If you want to have a better idea of the steps it takes to complete a transaction, then take a look at the links below to see all the points that a credit card is stored, and can possibly be stolen. Note that neither of the pages/links take into account the hops from router to route along the various routes that it takes to complete a transaction.

ILD Payment Solutions Blog
    Merchant Check Processing

The second one is probably the best as it takes into account the clearing house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.