War in Pocket?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by gbm, Nov 9, 2016.

1. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Hello all,

Ok, so sometimes (most of the time) it takes me a while to join the party....in fact, I'm always a good 6 months behind the curve on all things new and exciting. Oh well....

So today's inquiry is about these DX9 War in Pocket guys. From my initial looking into them, they look DARN AWESOME!

Are the the perfect replacement for official Legends sized figures?

If anyone can give me the crash course on these guys; the good, the bad & the ugly, I'd be most appreciative!

Thanks,

~ gbm

2. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

Between the 2 big players in that market (DX9 and Iron Factory), I think most people prefer IF. They generally fit well together, though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The earlier War in Pocket figures didn't really wow me, but the upcoming Dinobots and Seekers look really good.

4. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Imo
    ignore galvy, cyclonus, sweeps, ironhide, ratchet(early designs are smaller than what they are doing now)
    consider blur, kup, arcee, megs, hulkie and of course the new releases.

5. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Here are a couple pics of them mixed together that might help...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

This is great help, thanks everyone.

What company did the Soundwave, Blitz and Weirdwolf?

7. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

DX9 War In Pocket figures tend to go for a more G1 look whereas Iron Factory is all IDW styled. The newer War In Pocket figures are larger than official legends too. For instance, their Megatron towers over the official legends Optimus Prime (the one that came with the roller minicon/targetmaster) by almost a full inch.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Soundwave and Blitzwing are from Iron Factory. Weirdwolf and Chromedome are Unique Toys.

I've collected all of the War in Pocket releases so far and I absolutely love them. Some are better than others, but the overall quality is generally good and there are some clever transformations and if what you really want is tiny G1 toys it's a great line to collect. I personally prefer it to Iron Factory because of the more G1-inspried aesthetic (not an IDW reader), but all of the third party Legends lines have good stuff to offer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Seekers will be the first DX9 legends scale I consider since their Megatron (Mightron WIP-scale). The rest of their figures don't interest me because most of them lack the quality of IF's figures. They are generally less posable, feel cheaper in hand, have less paint work, and aren't a perfect scale match for the IF legends series, imho. They also tend to be overpriced (their Devastator set being a prime example). They might be more fun to transform, I have no idea as I don't buy Legends to transform but to display and pose in robot mode. So I stick with IF, but keep an eye out for the occasional WIP figure worth picking up.

10. Grouch

Grouch Stranger in a Strange Land

What Devestator is that? I hate that Galvatron is so much smaller than Megatron. I wonder if we'll get a "redo" down the road?

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I have all the War In Pocket releases, love them all to death (except maybe the van bros with the dumb design backpack). I only have a couple IF, I'm not a huge fan of their aesthetics/transformations. UT weirdwolf/Chromedome are great as well.

Blitzwing in particular is shitty (with those awful feet), and Magus isn't all that great either.

12. IronMagnus

IronMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IF City Commander (Ultra Magnus) gets a 10/10 robot mode and a 7.5/10 vehicle mode from me. Overall he's probably my favorite 3P legends figure.

Regarding Blitzwing's "shitty" feet/legs, I've found that shaving just a hair off the long sides of the tabs that keep them together allow them to slip into their corresponding slots and the legs will stay together. Posing the feet can be challenging, but if you angle the feet at an extreem point, you can use them to help rotate the bar that connects the ball joint to the swivel.

Hulkie is also really great. His combined mode is awesome and can be achieved with basically no parts forming (you can leave the forearms/hands connected to the arm bots in their individual mode, but they look a little better if you take them off). The fact that all 6 of the constructicons have 10/10 vehicle modes and transform into decently articulated individual robots is just a marvel of modern transforming engineering.

Another figure that I think fits well into a Legends scale collection is MasterMade Apollo, either with or without the G1 head upgrade. He's an absolutely fantastic figure on its own, and scales well vs Hulkie and Generations Metroplex.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  13. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

That Devastator is the TFC Hercules.

14. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    The early releases(galvatron etc etc) were all one size made in line with hasbro legends, now they have started to try and scale out the line with megs being bigger and dinos bigger still. The Unique toys tom and jerry set(weirdwolf) called palm series is made of the same plastics as dx9, indeed they must be associated.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DR3ST4

DR3ST4 Insecticon swarm keeper

i actually prefer dx9 to if tho, not a fan of the old ones but hulkie and lil mightron truly rock cant w8 for the seekers that are coming.. still need to find a bargain hulkie tho he is way overpriced imo..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Grouch

Grouch Stranger in a Strange Land

So the new focus on scale accuracy started with X13 Mightron forward. I picked up Ratchet and Ironhide to test the waters and like them but they're going to be small compared to future autobots (with exception to the larger Dinobots) now.:(  Maybe they'll get a redo later on. Hulkie looks ok but the individual bots seem a bit on the small side to me. Still excited for Megatron, seekers, conheads and Dinobots though. Need a Prime, some carbots and Soundwave now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Well no, dont despair. Ironhide and ratchet actually still probably fit with new scale. Just Galvatron cyclonus and sweeps who would seem small. :thumb  I mentioned them because they came together and the design never particularly appealed, to me atleast, either.

18. IronMagnus

IronMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think all of DX9's new figures will be bigger than Hasbro legends.

Looking at the Predaking / Starscream teaser ( http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attachments/eb189eb5gw1f5hui3o2cxj21kw28ganl-jpg.27600102/ ) we see that Starscream is shorter than Megs. The Predacons look like they might be a little bigger than standard legends, maybe or maybe not the size of their Dinobots.

I think that DX9 went with a bigger size for Megs to accentuate the importance of his character. Their Dinobots are bigger to be in 'scale' with other legends figures instead of being the same 'size'. I'm reasonably certain, giving the niche popularity of legends figures, that they aren't dumb enough to completely abandon the overall scale.

• Like Like x 1
  19. zeroblue2099

zeroblue2099 Well-Known Member

I have all the IF releases so minus the re-released three pack of Blurr, Ratchet and Ironhide. I really like them. Blurr, Ironhide/Ratchet and Scourge can hold some great poses considering their sizes, and much better than their official deluxe has/tak releases. I like Hulkie for his combined mode and the individual vehicle modes. The robot modes are ok. I like the improvements to Cyclonus and Galvatron in the three pack. They look good with the recent Has/Tak legends and bigger figures like Metroplex and Sky-Lynx.

I second the UT Weirdwolf/Chromedome recommendation.

I really like Ultra Magnus, but Blitzwing isn't my favorite. I'm hoping their next triple-changer is easier to transform.

This!

DX9 is G1/Sunbow inspired designs. I haven't had any really bad figures from IF and DX9. I do like all the accessories and play-ability of IF's figures. The Datsuns and Dynobots have a ton of weapons. IMO IF's head sculpts weren't as good as DX9's, but IF's quality as has approved.

20. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Yeah, I hope IF comes out with a good sized Galvatron. Devestator is the TFC Hercules, mostly stock with the Rage face and alternate gun.